Help! I can't seem to get enough protein.

Options

Replies

• BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've been having trouble too. Thank you to everyone who commented with tips! <3
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt. I get the individual cups from Dannon (light and fit) that have 12g of protein for only 80 calories. One of my favorite snacks to help hit my protein goal for the day.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese has a good bang for your buck. Something like 12 grams per 90 or 100 calorie serving? Plus, I think its delicious. I eat light n fit greek yogurts a lot, which are probably so bad for you...they have to be cause they are so good. But, they are 12 grams with 80 calories. Zero fat if I can remember..
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Feel free to take a gander at my diary. Yesterday I got 180 grams of protein, which is my goal, and 144 of those were not supplements, and that would have been under 1600 calories.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese has a good bang for your buck. Something like 12 grams per 90 or 100 calorie serving? Plus, I think its delicious. I eat light n fit greek yogurts a lot, which are probably so bad for you...they have to be cause they are so good. But, they are 12 grams with 80 calories. Zero fat if I can remember..

Yep... no fat... not that a little would hurt lol.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Seafood. It surprised me how much protein there is in seafood, compared to the calories. I smoked a whole pound of shrimp one day and ate it over the course of the day. My protein was over my goal, calories still waaaaaay under, and it was delicious! I wish I could afford to eat shrimp every day, every meal! Fortunately, talapia is cheap.
  • amg120
    amg120 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Seafood. It surprised me how much protein there is in seafood, compared to the calories. I smoked a whole pound of shrimp one day and ate it over the course of the day. My protein was over my goal, calories still waaaaaay under, and it was delicious! I wish I could afford to eat shrimp every day, every meal! Fortunately, talapia is cheap.

Be careful of your cholesterol with shirmp :)
    Though lemon pepper grilled shirmp is pretty amazing...and shrimp cocktail.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Cottage Cheese is one of my go to, but I had to switch to full fat cottage cheese. All this focus on lowfat or fat free I found I wasn't getting near enough to reach my macro goals. Even going full fat and also using more olive oil now I still am not hitting fat. In all my research, Fat and Protein are the most important macro's. Carbs is secondary, but no reason to hate on them :smile:

I also started making a frozen dessert. I use FAGE Greek Yogurt, Cookies and Cream Protein powder, and a couple packets of Stevia. I mix it up and then stick it in the freezer. About an hour later I pull it out and mix it up and then stick it back in for another 30 to 60 minutes and then eat. I think the key is mixing it up after about an hour. If you don't it just ends up being a rock, but the way I have been doing it, it ends up like ice cream. Yes there is a little work involved , but it is so worth it. It tastes delicious and has 60g of protein for less than 300 calories.
  • StephVa22
    StephVa22 Posts: 28
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition protein shake at least twice daily, white fish, chicken BREAST (dark meat has more calories/fat....thats why it tastes sooooo good!!) tuna, peanut or almond butter, eggs (boiled for convenience). Good luck!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    The link between dietary and serum cholesterol does not actually appear to be a causal one.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    The link between dietary and serum cholesterol does not actually appear to be a causal one.

Indeed. I've seen studies done on shrimp consumption, and feel comfortable in that regard. I would be more concerned with mercury poisoning from eating so much seafood.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've tried to avoid protein powder/shakes for now if I can, so what I do is plan my day's meals around the protein total and then add in other foods (fruits, vegies, whole grains) to add up to my total calories and fiber without going over.

Some of the high protein/low cal foods I've discovered are edamame, seafood, fish in general, white marinated anchovies (very chi-chi but you can chuck 3-4 on a salad and add a good whack of protein), eggs, chicken breast. Tofu is pretty good, but needs more preparation.

I'm trying to get to 60g on 1300 calories and it was difficult to start with, but now I plan my meals more carefully it's very doable.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Cottage Cheese is one of my go to, but I had to switch to full fat cottage cheese. All this focus on lowfat or fat free I found I wasn't getting near enough to reach my macro goals. Even going full fat and also using more olive oil now I still am not hitting fat. In all my research, Fat and Protein are the most important macro's. Carbs is secondary, but no reason to hate on them :smile:

I also started making a frozen dessert. I use FAGE Greek Yogurt, Cookies and Cream Protein powder, and a couple packets of Stevia. I mix it up and then stick it in the freezer. About an hour later I pull it out and mix it up and then stick it back in for another 30 to 60 minutes and then eat. I think the key is mixing it up after about an hour. If you don't it just ends up being a rock, but the way I have been doing it, it ends up like ice cream. Yes there is a little work involved , but it is so worth it. It tastes delicious and has 60g of protein for less than 300 calories.

That sounds awesome, I am going to try, er um, steal that idea!
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I pre log my days and usually igonre my protein count and just focus on calories. I started strong lifts 5x5 last week and decided to make a change with the protein on my next grocery shop to support getting more protein in!

I tend to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch thru the work week so I shop accordingly to make sure I have those items around.

My go to breakfast for the past few months had been a dempsters everything bagel with light herb and garlic cream cheese
    high carb, highly satisfying, but little to no protein

My lunches- seem ok- kinda-
    I pack a ham lettuce and cheese on demspters "boost my protein" bread, side of baby raw carrots, yogurt (iogo brand), and my treat, some kind of pudding :)

Dinners can vary in their protein content - we are a busy family with young children who live on chicken fingers and hotdogs lol

I was consumed with wondering "How on earth do I fit enough protein in my day"

I have yet to meet a protein bar, either commercial or home made that I actually enjoy, bleh!

So Yesterday was my big grocery shop, I attempted to pre long a tortilla wrap with egg beaters and cheese for breakfast, and a greek yogurt

Lunch stayed the same

I added in an additional greek yogurt with my afternoon snack

since dinner can vary with the protein content I felt it best to include a smoothie for dessert with protein powder in it. If dinner plans change last minute its like my insurance. But if i can swap it out or add a sinful dessert to go with it, you can bet I will!

As of last nights pre-logging, I have met my protein goal for today. - now watch fitbit give me an adjustment and throw it all out of whack lol
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    As of last nights pre-logging, I have met my protein goal for today. - now watch fitbit give me an adjustment and throw it all out of whack lol
    That doesn't matter. Just meet the goal you've set and ignore what MFP says. If I went with their recommendation, I'd be way undereating protein. But if I set my MFP goals to 40% protein (to give me 180 grams of protein at 1800 calories), when my BodyMedia adjusts my calories, MFP says I need to eat more protein too. I don't. I just need to eat 180 grams, no matter how many calories I eat.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    hmm i wonder what % mine is set to lol im going to check! thx for the tip
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I usually start my day with an egg white and skim cheese omelet with Greek yogurt, which does the trick for me. If egg whites aren't your thing, take an extra large egg and mix it with 1/2 cup egg whites into scrambled eggs. Really doesn't taste too different, fills you up, and low in calories! Shrimp is also a good low calorie, high protein choice :)
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    That doesn't matter. Just meet the goal you've set and ignore what MFP says. If I went with their recommendation, I'd be way undereating protein. But if I set my MFP goals to 40% protein (to give me 180 grams of protein at 1800 calories), when my BodyMedia adjusts my calories, MFP says I need to eat more protein too. I don't. I just need to eat 180 grams, no matter how many calories I eat.

im on the default i guess setting, 30% protein, 30% fat 40% carb.

I know most days im usually eating at 50% or more from carb- so I am gonna ride with this trying to meet 130g of protein for a few weeks and then try in crease from there. Small changes over time work well for me! it doesnt feel so unobtainable!
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I replaced breakfast with protein pancakes... Feels decadent and help me hit my protein target!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

im on the default i guess setting, 30% protein, 30% fat 40% carb.

I know most days im usually eating at 50% or more from carb- so I am gonna ride with this trying to meet 130g of protein for a few weeks and then try in crease from there. Small changes over time work well for me! it doesnt feel so unobtainable!
    130 grams is probably more than sufficient. Generally the rec is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. I go for total body mass, but that's just me.