How to get more healthy calories

Options
My BMR is 1670 so I should be eat at least that but probably more correct?

I just started logging what I eat yesterday but what I eat has been pretty much what follows:

Breakfast: 2 Slices of homemade "clean" wholegrain bread with peanut butter, warm lemon water
Snack: Apple or Banana
Lunch: Greek yoghurt with chia seeds, veggies (sliced cucumber, carrots, celery etc.), sometime fruit if hungry still
Snack: Almonds
Supper: A piece of meat, veggies/potatoes or salad.
Green tea with honey and lots of water through out the day.

I end up being 300-400 below my BMR. How many calories should I be eating to lose 2-3 lbs per week and what are some healthier preferably not processed foods I can try for snack or lunch...

Thanks everyone:)

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    More fats basically.

Use more olive oil.

Add avocado to soups, salads, sandwiches, wraps.

More nuts and nut butters.

Get rid of low fat dairy and replace with full fat.

Add some cheese to things.

You can also try to drink some more of your calories if you aren't hungry, milk, juice, ect.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    agreeing with lady nocturne...fats, full fat cheeses and yogurt, nuts.
    you kind of lost me with the warm lemon water....I'd barf back up the nice homemade bread.....
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1670 so I should be eat at least that but probably more correct?

I just started logging what I eat yesterday but what I eat has been pretty much what follows:

Breakfast: 2 Slices of homemade "clean" wholegrain bread with peanut butter, warm lemon water
    Snack: Apple or Banana
    Lunch: Greek yoghurt with chia seeds, veggies (sliced cucumber, carrots, celery etc.), sometime fruit if hungry still
    Snack: Almonds
    Supper: A piece of meat, veggies/potatoes or salad.
    Green tea with honey and lots of water through out the day.

I end up being 300-400 below my BMR. How many calories should I be eating to lose 2-3 lbs per week and what are some healthier preferably not processed foods I can try for snack or lunch...

Thanks everyone:)

Not probably more. ABSOLUTELY, definitely, positively more. 10-20% below TDEE.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    bmr 1670? daym! are you a giant?

lets recalculate that...need your
    -goal weight
    -workout Xs/week
  • bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

-goal weight
    -workout Xs/week

Nope just overweight, but thanks that makes me feel better ugh...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    do you weigh your food?

If not you are probably under estimating your intake.....

Based on what you listed I bet it was around 1400-1500 calories...

If you want to lose 57lbs, losing it at 1lb a week is a good rate...anything over that will leave you with less muscle than you began with...

I am sure you don't want to hit goal weight and still be squishy...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What is your current weight, your goal weight, and your activity level? How old are you? These are the things which are needed to help you figure out what you are asking.

It's unlikely that your BMR is that high.

You should be weighing all of your solid foods and measuring all of your liquids.
  • bmannen1
    Options

-goal weight
    -workout Xs/week

I agree. I don't believe that is your BMR.

Is there another way to calculate? I was just using the calculator on here...
  • bmannen1
    Options
    do you weigh your food?

If not you are probably under estimating your intake.....

Based on what you listed I bet it was around 1400-1500 calories...

If you want to lose 57lbs, losing it at 1lb a week is a good rate...anything over that will leave you with less muscle than you began with...

I am sure you don't want to hit goal weight and still be squishy...

I have been measuring but not weighing, I can start though if that make a difference...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    That is very unlikely to be your BMR. You would have to be much more overweight than you appear to be in your profile picture, or exceptionally tall.

I also disagree with people telling you to add fats. Your daily intake looks extremely low on protein if you ask me. Also, are you carefully measuring all this honey you say you use throughout the day? That's pure sugar, so it will add calories quickly. You are probably consuming more than you realize unless you are weighing it all out.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

-goal weight
    -workout Xs/week

Goal weight and workouts/week have nothing to do with BMR.
  • bmannen1
    Options
    How tall are you? What is your current weight, your goal weight, and your activity level? How old are you? These are the things which are needed to help you figure out what you are asking.

You should be weighing all of your solid foods and measuring all of your liquids.

OK I am 5'5". 207 lbs. I am 28 and I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day then go home and chase 1 year old twins around. I have not started to work out yet. There is a gym opening right to near my office in a week and a half so I will then go at lunch time. My initial goal weight is 150 but probably closer to 135 in the end.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

OK I am 5'5". 207 lbs. I am 28 and I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day then go home and chase 1 year old twins around. I have not started to work out yet. There is a gym opening right to near my office in a week and a half so I will then go at lunch time. My initial goal weight is 150 but probably closer to 135 in the end.

IIFYM.com calculates your BMR as 1672 and your TDEE as 2006 based on an inactive lifestyle.
    A 15% cut is 1705.
    Weighing your food is more accurate than measuring cups, if you find it time consuming you can always prep stuff on a sunday into measured baggies (oats/rice/pasta etc) for use during the week.
  • kagevf
    Options

-goal weight
    -workout Xs/week

who said i was just going to calculate BMR?

OP - i didnt mean it like that. no offense meant, i apologize

(ultimate goal 135)

but with a goal weight of 150 and in sedentary lifestyle at the moment

Your BMR is: 1413

Your TDEE is: 1695

eating at 1500ish 5-6x/week will set you very well for fat loss/weight loss
    then on weekends, you can eat up to 1700ish when going to eat out with family or friends

set your MFP macros to

Carbs - 105
    Protein - 120
    Fats- 60
    Fiber - 30 to 38

hope this helps
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I have been measuring but not weighing, I can start though if that make a difference...

weigh everything, i bet your peanut butter is way more than you think to start with!
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options

-goal weight
    -workout Xs/week

who said i was just going to calculate BMR?

OP - i didnt mean it like that. no offense meant, i apologize

(ultimate goal 135)

but with a goal weight of 150 and in sedentary lifestyle at the moment

Your BMR is: 1413

Your TDEE is: 1695

eating at 1500ish 5-6x/week will set you very well for fat loss/weight loss
    then on weekends, you can eat up to 1700ish when going to eat out with family or friends

set your MFP macros to

Carbs - 105
    Protein - 120
    Fats- 60
    Fiber - 30 to 38

hope this helps

Sedentary lifestyle? She said she chases 1-yr-old twins around after work. That AT LEAST qualifies her as Lightly Active.

OP - I think, in addition to eating more calories, period, you need to eat some more protein-rich foods. I noticed you only have meat with dinner - it may help to add a piece of lean meat to your lunch.
  • kagevf
    Options
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

Hmmmm.... i must have missed where chasing 1 year old twins all day after a 9 hour sit down job....can you point it out which category will that be?

oh right...might be cardio
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

You are getting a lot of good advice and help here, I just want to give you one good example to help you with the weighing vs. measuring piece.

I eat oatmeal pretty often in the morning. On the label it says a serving is 1/2 cup (40 grams). If I put the 1/2 cup on my food scale and tare it (zero it out) and then measure an even 1/2 cup of the dry oats, it weighs up at 55 grams. Now, the 40 grams is what is the 150 calories listed on the label. Since oatmeal is fairly dense, the full 1/2 cup weighs more than the 40 grams. The 55 grams that the measured 1/2 cup weighs in at is actually 206 calories. If I use the whole 1/2 cup rather than take out enough to get the 40 grams, I'm over my assumed calories by 56 already.
    Next, we'll look at brown sugar. this says 1 tsp (4 grams). 1 measured tsp weighs in at 7 grams. So the 3 tsp I put in and think is 64 calories is actually 112. If I use that measurement and calorie count, I'm another 48 calories over. Just for breakfast alone, I'm now 104 calories over. If this continues at every meal, I could be over by several hundred calories for the day.

This is how people who measure instead of weighing end up eating at maintenance rather than a deficit.

You can get a good digital food scale for about $15 on Amazon or a local stores.