Total lifestyle change- 30 Day Shred help

Hi! I am a 41 year old recent divorcee who is ready for a complete life overhaul. Not only am I about 40 pounds overweight, but I am suffering from a recent diagnosis of perioral dermatitis which is as frustrating as being fat. It forced me to face the reality that I needed to change. My body is screaming out to me that it's nOT happy.

Two weeks ago yesterday..seemingly out of the blue I stopped gluten, processed sugar and most packaged foods with over 5 ingredients. I also cut out any unnecessary dairy focusing on almond milk products and coconut oil. I primarily focus on whole foods as much as possible. I also cut out caffeine almost completely. In addition I stopped using any products with any unhealthy ingredients. Specifically SLS.

Yesterday I started the first of 60 days of 30 Day Shred. I am SO ready to regain my former self.

I was always around a size 4-6 until my marriage started failing two years ago and I stopped giving a ****.

The diet change has been amazing ..I feel so much better. It's been very easy...easier than I thought possible.
The 30 day shred is kicking my butt but I won't stop...I am determined.

My main question is is there any easy way to enter the 30 Day Shred workout as a whole on MFP app? I guess I could break it down into the separate actions, but there has got to be an easier way! Help??!

Thanks!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Some people add it as general circuit training. If you have a HRM this is the most accurate way to figure out your calories burned. Otherwise you may want to consider figuring out your TDEE -20% and not worrying about the exercise calories. Good luck on your journey!
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Welcome and good for you for making changes to get healthy and feel better!! I am also doing 30 DS....I log it as circuit training. Best of luck to you!!! :-)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Circuit training.

And I wish you luck because total overhauls usually burn people out. If you find that happening, remember that small sustainable changes add up.
  • Congrats!

I've searched and search for the answer to this question and found the calculation to be 1.11 calories burned for every pound you weigh.

Good luck!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/322448-how-many-calories-does-30-day-shred-burn/
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Circuit training.

And I wish you luck because total overhauls usually burn people out. If you find that happening, remember that small sustainable changes add up.

All of this.
  • julzim
    julzim Posts: 4
    Thanks! Yes I was calculating about 200 calories based on my weight.

I agree that it could be easier to burn out..but I honestly feel better...food tastes better and I am not depriving myself of much. If I start to feel angry or deprived ...I may cut myself some slack. My personality type is strike while the iron is hot...when I decide to do something I am iron clad determined. The thing that has made this so easy is cutting out the gluten. I don't have any cravings at all so the food part is easy. I am not constantly hungry anymore....that is the BEST part. Cravings down...energy up....just hope that stays ;) I have always eaten healthy so that part wasn't a huge change. The working out so hard everyday is a big change.

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement.
  • I am also trying the 30 day shred. i am on level 2 but with some difficulty. It's HARD! Good Luck!!
  • julzim
    What's the best and least expensive way to get 30 Day Shred...I am watching the first level for free on youtube but will need to buy the other two levels.
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Thanks! Yes I was calculating about 200 calories based on my weight.

I agree that it could be easier to burn out..but I honestly feel better...food tastes better and I am not depriving myself of much. If I start to feel angry or deprived ...I may cut myself some slack. My personality type is strike while the iron is hot...when I decide to do something I am iron clad determined. The thing that has made this so easy is cutting out the gluten. I don't have any cravings at all so the food part is easy. I am not constantly hungry anymore....that is the BEST part. Cravings down...energy up....just hope that stays ;) I have always eaten healthy so that part wasn't a huge change. The working out so hard everyday is a big change.

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement.

YES! I am (95%) Gluten Free and it feels SO GOOOOOD! We sound similar when it comes to eating/exercising. It's hard for me to stick with working out...I think I might buy 1 or 2 Jillian Michaels DVD's as they are $5.99 on Groupon right now...Has anyone tried the fat banishing one or any others by her?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    What's the best and least expensive way to get 30 Day Shred...I am watching the first level for free on youtube but will need to buy the other two levels.

They are all on youtube,
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Or you can buy the dvd for $8.....
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    You can get good like new videos of JM's workouts on Amazon for pretty cheap.
  • julzim
    Oh they are all on youtube? I noticed a thing popped up and said you could buy the next level...when I checked it was only 99 cents anyway.. Great...that works for me..I watch on my iPad...thanks
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    I use a heart rate monitor. I found that originally entering it as circuit training was not giving me accurate measurements. Also, even though you do the same level (s) day to day, you're not always burning the same calories. Investing in a HRM is really the best way to go.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    If I have sinned against MFP etiquette I apologise - I don't know how else to refer to this

Yesterday somebody on another thread posted this:

'If you're wondering how to log it on MFP, Jillian Michaels says the workouts are 1.6 x your weight in lbs. So if you weigh 112, you'd burn 179 calories :--) it isn't a massively high calorie burn because it's only 25 minutes and there's only brief cardio intervals. that's why taking your measurements is so important - it's less of a fat burner (I mean it still does but....); more of a muscle toner.'

I have also just done Day 1 Level 1 - my bottom feels it!!! But it was OK and I was glad I could finish it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Circuit training.

Indeed, ^this.

As someone who is wired to be "all-or-none" myself, I have finally found somewhat recently that there is plenty of room in between that is not only *as* effective, but apparently even *more* effective.

Best of luck with your current approach (and any other approaches you may decide to take in the future).
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Just wanted to say congratz on your decision and here's to looking forward to your progress!

1384969513_corgi_twerking.gif