What/will you give up for lent?

Options

Replies

• MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm not catholic but I once gave up red meat and ate only seafood as a source of meat. In the past I've given up chocolate, booze and fries. It's always tough because my birthday always falls during the lenten season.

This year, intead of giving up something. I'm going to try and workout everyday. I'm hoping that will kickstart my weightloss journey.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to start an entire thread about something you don't even take part of?

sorry?! if you read it properly, you'd know I said, 'thinking about it this year'

I missed that part. :blushing:

I hope we can still be friends.

:laugh: Of course.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic but I have learned throughout the years this can be practiced by other types of Christians as I am Lutheran

In the past I've given up chocolate or soda

This year I believe I'm giving up....popcorn. I eat it 3 times a week or so so yes it will be hard. I crave it. I can't live without it - or so I think. I might also give up on drinking wine on my home alone nights but that's yet to be determined.

On the other hand, I'm also planning on giving my time for a volunteer service in the same respect.

I've been raised religious and still am and realize that not everyone knows why people do this - so for those of you - people can choose to give something up as a reminder of the sacrifice Christians believe that God made for us. Obviously if you don't believe in God or you aren't Christian etc you probably are not looking to do this :)
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options
    I'm giving up self-deprivation.

:laugh:
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am not religious myself, but I do usually participate in Lent. I do it for the health of it. This year I will be giving up bad carbs all together as well as artificial sweeteners. I usually stick it out and do pretty well.
  • ptbodacious
    ptbodacious Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Eating out - given that I eat lunch out every weekday, dinner out two or three times a week and breakfast at least once, this is going to be a major exercise. Fifteen years ago I gave up swearing for Lent. When my kids got done laughing they bet me I couldn't do it and said if I could, they'd quit fighting me about going to church. They haven't been to church since :angry: Hopefully this goes better... Money saved will be donated to a local food bank.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options
    Eating out - given that I eat lunch out every weekday, dinner out two or three times a week and breakfast at least once, this is going to be a major exercise. Fifteen years ago I gave up swearing for Lent. When my kids got done laughing they bet me I couldn't do it and said if I could, they'd quit fighting me about going to church. They haven't been to church since :angry: Hopefully this goes better...

:happy: hahaha, i'm sure you'll kick lents *kitten* this year!
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    I'm giving up excuses. No more rage quitting, no more "I'm too tired," no more "I'm too hungover."

7 days a week, 365 days a year. No more d*cking around.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to give up elevators.
  • Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Eating out - given that I eat lunch out every weekday, dinner out two or three times a week and breakfast at least once, this is going to be a major exercise. Fifteen years ago I gave up swearing for Lent. When my kids got done laughing they bet me I couldn't do it and said if I could, they'd quit fighting me about going to church. They haven't been to church since :angry: Hopefully this goes better... Money saved will be donated to a local food bank.

Why make them go? They're their own people and should be able to make their own decisions about religion.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm the worst Catholic ever so even if I did remember to give something up, I'd forget and slip.

Oh, and no-meat Fridays? Forget it.
  • BookRat
    BookRat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm going vegan for lent (I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian normally). I did it a previous year and it really helped me to focus on what I was eating and helped broaden my culinary horizons. I was rather looking forward to Easter by the end though ;)

Not religious by the way, I just like a challenge!
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic. Though I do not attend church weekly, or on most obligation days anymore, I do always attend Ash Wednesday. This year I'm going to attempt to give up yelling when I'm mad. It really doesn't do any good and I'm hoping that it will lead to a calmer less stressed me. I'm also going to try to do one kind thing without reason/reward every day whether it be for a friend, family member or complete stranger.

My mother tries to give up swearing every year and in return my sister and myself have successfully ruined this for her this even as 20 something year old adults ( I think this more has to do with the fact that I'm an awesome April Fools Day trickster )
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I am trying to decide between yelling at the kids - which since I have 4 there is usually 4 or more days a week when I raise my voice to them or give up alcohol (which I only drink on Friday and Saturday). I could not do both at the same time...
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Experimenting sexually.

That's a huge lie!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give up farting.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    This year for lent I'm giving up altar boys.
  • ptbodacious
    ptbodacious Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    They were 8 and 10 at the time. Gotta have something to choose from, in my opinion.