How do I know what my daily calories should be to maintain?

Options
So, me in a nutshell (hi everyone, first time poster!)

I was over 350 lbs for about 30 years (yes I know.... I really know). I had gastric sleeve surgery and changed my life, my diet, my exercise... everything. I am sitting at about 160 now and have been weight stable for about 4 months. I think about exercise, food, life completely differently now.

My curent exercise regimen consists of 3-4 recumbent bike sessions of 45 mins each a week. Moderate exertion. My bike says I am burning about 225 calories (myfitnesspal says that should be about 300 calories, etc.). My nutritionist says I should maintain on about 1800 calories a day - and that's been my goal for the last several months. Plus I walk a lot but I don't count that really.

Based on my profile & goal (to maintain weight at 160) MFP says that on days I don't exercise I should consume about 1900 calories and on days I do exercise I should consume about 2300. I have been maintaining for about 4 mos on 1700-1900 calories a day, exercising 3-4 times a week (see above).

My question: What is everyone's experience with MFP's calculations in maintaining? Do they over estimate? So far I am just ignoring the fact that most days I am leaving calories "on the table" so to speak. Am I hurting myself in regard to nutrition? I seem to be maintaining ok with my current diet / exercise.

Thanks.. just looking for people's general thoughts.

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss!

If your weight has been stable for months with what you're doing already.. I'd think you're in maintenance currently. It's not a single number, but it's just an estimate.

If anything, take a look back at your diary for the past 2 months (since you've been stable for 4) and just look at it as an average?
  • rosenkrantzz
    Options
    Thanks! I seem to hover at between 159-163 over the space of the last 4 months, I tend to stay at around 161-162 most days. Yeah I think I have (so far) a good handle on maintaining but I plan to stay vigilant. I guess I was wondering if my exercise regimen (recumbent bike) is really burning many calories? I never know how much to push it. I get my heart rate up to about 120 and make sure I am pushing myself
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    There are too many variables to consider with respect to how much you should eat in order to maintain weight -- such as water fluctuations among other things. It'd be a good idea to weigh yourself every morning post-pee and post-poop and then take the weekly average. Also keep in mind it'll take maybe 2 weeks or more to see any significant changes (not just in weight but appearance as well, so be sure to take pictures!). Look at how much weight you are gaining or losing per week, provided you are consistent with reaching your calories. Adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps!
  • rosenkrantzz
    Options
    It does! Thanks! I am committed to maintaining my exercise goals and current weight. I find I look forward to the days I exercise and feel great afterwards!
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    First Congrats on a job well done. I know it has been an exciting journey.

I have to agree, if you are maintaining on what you are currently doing and you are happy with it, then stick with it. Since you have been working with a nutritionist the I would also listen to what they have to say.

If you are worried about how many calories you are really burning, you might try a heart rate monitor (if you havent already). They tend to give more accurate information.

All things here are guidelines for the most part. We are all different so we each have to find what works for us. The most important part is to make sure we are getting the nutrition our body needs.

Best of luck to you

BTW - I have Rosenkranz in my family tree and they are from Texas (Im an avid genealogist)