Any Ideas on healthy suppliments to take?

Options
I want to stop by my local GNC store and see If I can pick up some stuff to help me along with my weightloss and increasing my health.

any suggestions?

Replies

• norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Fruits and Vegetables are the best supplements for weight loss. Lots of water too. Most things in these vitamin shops for weight loss are scams for your money. take a multi vitamin at the most. This is just my opinion.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    AmelieMustLoseWeight Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah I know better not use anything that claims to help you lose weight. I guess I was thinking more towards whey powders or anything to help with digestion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fruits and Vegetables are the best supplements for weight loss. Lots of water too. Most things in these vitamin shops for weight loss are scams for your money. take a multi vitamin at the most. This is just my opinion.

This^^^

Add to that, maybe some fish oil for Omega 3 fatty acids if you don't eat a lot of fatty fish.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh okay.. Anything but Muscle Milk. there are just better proteins out there for what you get with that one. I like Body Fortress Whey Isolate. Optimum is also good.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The last time I went into a GNC store and asked about weight loss supp's, the guy behind the counter said "don't waste your money, they don't work." Talk about honesty. He suggested protein powder and fish oil only, and to eat a healthy diet.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    Thanks! You guys are awesome :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Probiotic for digestion?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    And I would probably avoid GNC just because they are extremely overpriced! Even though I get a free Gold Card every year I still don't shop there.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Probiotic- helps with digestion and potentially everything else (haha the new trend in biology research is the "gut micro biome" and it's linked to everything from ADHD to weight loss)
    -this can be yogurt, kifer, kombucha, sauerkraut, or pills

Fish oil or algae oil if you're veg-has good fats omega 3. Which helps with brain function and having pretty hair

I think flax seeds do similar things to fish oil.

Chia seeds- aid in digestion. The produce a slime tha helps lubricate your passing waste.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Fish oil, yes! Or Krill Oil. I still need to try that. As far as protein powders go, that will be trial and error according to your tastes. If you get something that has tons of protein and is relatively low calorie, but you can't stand the taste of it, you've still wasted your money. Ask if they have samples!

I also want to second that GNC is expensive! Go to amazon, vitacost, or drugstore.com to find the same products at lower prices. You can often get free shipping and reading the reviews helped me pick the protein powder I have.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    Probiotic- helps with digestion and potentially everything else (haha the new trend in biology research is the "gut micro biome" and it's linked to everything from ADHD to weight loss)

Fish oil or algae oil if you're veg-has good fats omega 3. Which helps with brain function and having pretty hair

Chia seeds- aid in digestion. The produce a slime tha helps lubricate your passing waste.

awesome ideas. I have been wanting to try flaxseed and fish oil. Someone told me to be weary of fish oil though because it can increase bleeding and other weird health problems.

btw your progession photos look awesome. you and I have simular body shapes. I have quite the booty.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    What about some Metamucil for better digestion? I feel silly because im only 22 but I really dont go to the bathroom the way I should.. which is weird because i am a vegetable person. I do eat a lot of cheese though :\ and Im not the best with my water consumption
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If you want a fiber supplement, I would recommend Benefiber over Metemucil. But you can actually get plenty of fiber from your food. Apples and pears with their skin are a good fruit source of fiber. Beans are great sources, too. You can look up which foods have the most fiber.
  • Chonzo68
    Chonzo68 Posts: 4
    Options
    Supplements are just that...You should be getting all your nutrients from your food... Supplements are a multi billion dollar industry..Athletes gotta get paid so they endorse stuff...I've lost 55lbs eating a flexible diet.. Up your protein to @ 1g per your body weight to help you lose and curb the sugar cravings..Eat healthy fats and carbs...
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

I always liked yogurt and ate it from time to time. Once I accidentally googled "fecal transplant" I made damn sure I ate all the yogurt, all the time.
  • LTKeegan
    Options

awesome ideas. I have been wanting to try flaxseed and fish oil. Someone told me to be weary of fish oil though because it can increase bleeding and other weird health problems.

btw your progession photos look awesome. you and I have simular body shapes. I have quite the booty.

Thanks :-) I love my bum!! It's giant. But even when I was 100lbs I've had some serious junk in the trunk.

For fish oil, All I was told to worry about was making sure to get high quality or else you can get mercury accumulation, which is especially a problem if you ever plan to breast feed. I was told nutrisea was good but I just did flax in my smoothies and are more fish/chia seeds.

I was having trouble pooping and was too shy to buy Metamucil or the like so I bought all bran buds from kelloggs (it's a cereal) with psyllium husks. Who boy am I regular.

I also use nutritional yeast on popcorn to get my B12 since it isn't fat soluble (did I get that right?) and you need the full amount every day.

Btw, I can't say enough good things about kombucha, I don't drink juice (too many calories) so I get my flavored water fix with kombucha and I also get lots of good probiotics! And they just did a study with pill form probiotics that showed that taking a probiotic will help you lose more weight. One study, only found the effect in women (not men) don't know their dosing, but I'll take any extra help I can get while eating at a deficit and exercising!! And if it's not true, at least you have a nice healthy gut and you poop regularly.

As for the fecal transplant, those are for extreme cases, usually people with C. difficile where the bad bacteria has killed your whole colony. And now they have a pill form of probiotics that you can take, so you don't need fecal transplants anymore. But agreed, toy gross!!!
  • LTKeegan
    Options

They just had a few big studies show that multi vitamins are truly a waste of money and you shouldn't bother. I can link them if you need help finding hem, but a simple google search should pull them up (I'm on my phone)
  • daniel052205
    Options
    There is a supplement that i have been taking for about a year now that exceeds 5-6 servings of veggies and fruits in just one little scoop. I've been taking supplements my whole life, but have never seen anything like this one. Go here and sign up for your free report. http://naturalnutritionsupplements.info/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    I want to stop by my local GNC store and see If I can pick up some stuff to help me along with my weightloss and increasing my health.

any suggestions?
    For weight loss no. For health, a multi if you're not meeting your micronutrient and mineral goals, omega 3's, and protein powder.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    There is a supplement that i have been taking for about a year now that exceeds 5-6 servings of veggies and fruits in just one little scoop. I've been taking supplements my whole life, but have never seen anything like this one. Go here and sign up for your free report. http://naturalnutritionsupplements.info/
    I just found the site to be nothing more than a "proprietary blend" site with a bunch of products with fancy names. For a lot of money too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition