holy hormonal hell - ladies, get in here

Options
I'm 29, I eat exceptionally well and am very active. The last few months have been a roller coaster in my personal life, but I am thinking I have something going on with my hormones. My last period was in December. I know, red flag right? My period has always been regular. However I am most definitely not pregnant. I am exhausted all the time. I can't seem to recover from working out like I always have. My muscles feel chronically fatigued and sore. I have had some odd hair growth and mood swings. I do have an upcoming appointment with my doctor but was hoping some ladies could chime in here on the matter.
Eta: I posted in the weight loss section since my body has completely halted any progress.

Replies

• Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What is your weight and calorie intake. How much have you lost and how quickly?
    I ask this becasue these are all signs of anorexia.
    Fatigue, lack of period, fine hair growth on body, hormone issues...

You may be seriously undereating.

If you are not, the next possible thing that pops in my head is hormone issues. Your doctor would do blood tests and determine cause.

Edit to add that you do not need to be underweight to have anorexia or physical symptoms of. Your body can respond to long term calorie restriction wle still being in a normal weight area. Body fat and low weight is only one part of diagnosis. It is also possible to have anorexia without realizing it is what you are doing. Dont freak out about it being a disorder or illness, as it can be accidental too.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    This could be any number of things, some serious some not so much.
    See the dr,and tell them all your symptoms and how long its been going on for.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Could also be a thyroid thing...very common. bottom line, you need to go to a doctor.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Chronic undereating maybe.
  • DisneyBecca
    Options
    Another possibility is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Hopefully your doctor will be able to determine what is going on.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should get a physical and blood work ASAP.
  • babitagill
    Options
    I'm thinking PCOS...
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I'm 29, I eat exceptionally well and am very active. The last few months have been a roller coaster in my personal life, but I am thinking I have something going on with my hormones. My last period was in December. I know, red flag right? My period has always been regular. However I am most definitely not pregnant. I am exhausted all the time. I can't seem to recover from working out like I always have. My muscles feel chronically fatigued and sore. I have had some odd hair growth and mood swings. I do have an upcoming appointment with my doctor but was hoping some ladies could chime in here on the matter.
    Eta: I posted in the weight loss section since my body has completely halted any progress.

Sounds like a good time to visit the doc and get a physical.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm a snappy ***** lately..but it may just be PMS.

You sound like you need a pregnancy test and some blood work.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Well you made the first step by making a doc's appointment - make sure he does some blood tests and doesn't totally blame it on hormones (even though this could be the issue). Women are blessed aren't we?

I couldn't view your diary so I would say judging by your pic you should be in maintenance? You look pretty good. Maybe you need to up your cals and feed your body so it can recover from your workouts - again can't see your diary so can't really say much there.

The other symptoms do sound hormonal to me. Hope it all works out for you!
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The sore muscles and the fatigue/exhaustion sure sound like me before my diagnosis of hashimoto's (underactive thyroid). But the odd hair growth definitely sounds like PCOS. If you have PCOS, you are very likely/nearly guaranteed to also have low/underactive thyroid. I would ask for a workup on both.
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to check your potassium level - it might be low. Low potassium can cause fatigue and muscle weakness.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Definitely schedule an appointment with your doctor.

Any new medications? New birth control?

What were your menstrual cycles like prior to December? Light? Heavy? Painful? Not bothersome?

Amenorrhea happens for a variety of reasons…. stress, lifestyle changes in diet and exercise, changes in medications, being underweight/overweight, hormonal dysfunctions, etc. You mentioned hair growth which immediately makes me think of PCOS as well.

How many calories are you eating daily? What are your macros set at?

Either way, see your GYN.
  • MistyKnapp
    Options
    All good solutions! Glad you made a doc's appointment!! However, don't rule out perimenopause. Yes, 29 might be a bit early but I started with hot flashes/ night sweats when I was 32. I entered into it last year at 35. Of course, I most likely have hormonal issues, but can't afford a doc yet.