Should I give up Ben & Jerry's??

Options

Replies

• p90xokc
    Options
    If you give anything like that up cold turkey, odds say you're going to end up binging on it eventually. I agree with everyone else about doing it in moderation. I only diet 5 days out of the week and it's working wonders for me. I always have something to look forward to on the weekends and that's what keeps me disciplined during the week. 15 lbs and counting. Your taking this journey to make yourself happy. Don't make yourself COMPLETELY miserable in the process.
  • tater8589
    Options
    I may not give the best advice, but heres my point of view. Everything is fine in moderation. A whole pint, no... portion it out, make it last longer. Or maybe make it a special occasion thing, or just when you go out to dinner thing (assuming you don't eat out everyday, some people do) I love sweet tea, but i only drink it when we go to dinner.. although my husband and roomate keep some made in the apt, it has WAY to much sugar to be healthy lol. Good luck.

Oh, good news... Ice cream and other "fatty" dairy products are (in moderation) good for women. Especially if you are wanting or having a baby. The female body requires some of that to keep its balance and continue being fertile. I read this on yahoo last night.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow Single Serving ... seriously very good :)
  • Avelon513
    Avelon513 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing. Don't give up the Ben & Jerry's, just buy the single serving size they have. I know they don't have all the flavors, but they have some of the most popular flavors like cherry garcia, chocolate fudge brownie, and strawberry cheesecake -- and best of all, they're portion controlled. Good luck. :)
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Phish Food! When I was losing weight I hardly ever had it but sometimes I spurged and had it on a weekend or special occasion. I planned for it and exercised more the next day or so and you can cut calories a day or so the day before or after. Also, will your not chubby hubby share one with you? My husband and I have done that a lot and though it is still way high in calories and fat, you don't have the tempation to eat the whole thing. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I have a fab ice lolly after dinner every day = 90 cals. And I might have a 2 finger kit-kat if I exercise = 106 cals.

I'd love to eat a pint of ice cream every week too, but I know it will ruin my efforts during the week. And as my daily allowance is 1200, there is no way I would deny myself proper food for some ice cream.

There are lots of alternatives out there, or reduce the amount.

If we seriously want to lose weight, there's not much point in keeping the old habits that got us here in the first place :wink:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give it up completely, but I'd definitely not eat the whole pint--and if you do, you need to exercise to make up for it. Every Saturday we go out to a restaurant for lunch and I always go over my calories, so I know that every Saturday evening I have to exercie my butt off to make up for my splurging. You should look at it the same way. I'm a firm believer in 1--moderation, and 2--not giving up what makes you happy--that being said, you do have to work extra in other areas to compensate.
    I am an ice cream junkie, and I keep a pint of cookies and cream ice cream in my freezer at all times...once a day, sometimes once every few days, I eat just one spoonful of it. It's enough to get the taste in my mouth, but not enough to hurt me.
    Some people have trouble with eating things in moderation, and if that's the case, you should look for the little tiny servings of B&J that you can buy so you know you won't overeat, or sub your ice cream craving with something like pudding pops, which are only 60 calories per pop. Even if you eat 3 of them, you're doing a heck of a lot better than a pint of ice cream.
  • michelle4173
    Options
    Wow thank you all for your helpful responses! I'm so glad I found MFP! I think I will try buying smaller servings and healthier versions. I really want to change my ways and agree that feeding the Sunday blues isn't helping me. Plus I always feel sick afterwards! So how about my nightly cotton candy addiction. LOL I buy the Fluffy Stuff bags that are 260 calories and I make sure I have the calories left. I know, it's pure sugar. I need serious help! Thanks again!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    nasty habits need to be changed before our bodies can be!
  • Iron_Biker
    Iron_Biker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    In a word: yes.

It is OK if you eat such things occasionally, the problem I see here is of course not the ice-cream, but the habit.

Weight loss is all about habits. Good ones. If you are really serious about it, then start by supressing the unhealthy habits. Then you can move up and get some healthy ones instead. From there, it is a lifetime battle, always being conscious of what you do and what you eat. It's called the healthy lfestyle; but it is does not mean snack deprivation.

Don't stop eating your beloved ice-cream for good, just separate the ritual from it. Try eating not because you think you need it (like drugs) but because you really like it. Do it sometimes, not often, and of course not on schedule!

I hope this helps. Don't forget to tell us what you finally decided.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    A Pint of that is MORE than my daily calorie allowance. No way *I* would eat that every week. Once and awhile? Probably not going to totally kill weight loss (I'm talking once in a blue moon here).

You need to replace that habit with a new one. Something healthy something that is better for you and makes you feel good. You have a choice. A PINT of ice cream a week or a slimmer healthier body? It's not worth it if you ask me, but I've made a HUGE lifestyle change and won't go back to that ever again. I used to eat like that and it disgusts me now that I poisoned my body that way. I feel more relaxed and happier now that I've lost even some of the weight I need to and exercising really helps boost my mood!
  • Brat3073
    Options
    I dont think you should have to give it up. My biggest downfall is DQ Blizzards.....but we would always get a large! That wasnt going to cut it. I dont deprive myself of my DQ, i just go smaller. Thank heaven DQ came out with the Blizzard MINI...its just enough! And i dont feel guilty ater eating it either. Like i said.....i dont think you should have to give it up....read the label....is the whole pint worth the extra 2 workouts to burn it off? Or can you cut it in half and get rid of the guilt? and BTW....i love that chubby hubby ice cream too! Try to keep snacks under 150 calories and done have them past 8 pm. Thats the ruel i try to stick to.
  • orangegalt
    Options
    i totally disagree with raelbee--as an intense lover of ice cream, with an intense dislike of moderation, i know that attempting to give it up would make for a last-minute, irresistible, mistake indulgence, maybe not even with the flavor i was actually craving, but whatever's readily available.

i lost 50 lbs eating some form of ice cream every day, usually 300-400 of my 1200 calories. if you truly have to have the food to avoid feeling deprived, eat it. find a lower-calorie substitute that you find acceptable, and be sure that you budget for it.

here are my specific suggestions:

edy's/dreyers no sugar added vanilla = 90 cal per .5 cup, so 360 for the equivalent of a pint. bad thing about this one is that it comes in a giant container, so you have to be able to trust yourself with portion control. it really tastes amazing though--if you don't want just vanilla, make a float with diet soda or add sugar-free syrup of some sort for flavoring (like the torani ones that are for coffee and mixed drinks--no cals)

stoneyfield farms frozen yogurt, any flavor without stuff in it = 100 cal per .5 cup, so 400 for a pint. comes in pints so you can eat the whole thing if you save 400 cals. it's in vanilla, coffee, chocolate i think...

ARCTIC ZERO = 150 cal or less per pint. yes, PER PINT. this stuff is made with whey low and has a ton of protein, so it's actually pretty good for you. it's lactose-free, and not quite like ice cream--more of a frozen yogurt texture, it doesn't work for making a float--but the flavor is amazing, especially considering the calories. you could eat two pints for less than one serving of your chubby hubby! vanilla with a touch of maple and chocolate are both very good... i like to add pumpkin (50 cal/.5 cup) with pumpkin pie spice and splenda to the vanilla, and PB2 or better'n'peanut butter to the chocolate. downfall is that it's pretty hard to find and ridiculously expensive if you were to order online. check myarcticzero.com for store locations near you.

and popsicles:

skinny cow truffle bars = 100 cal each, and portion controlled. they come in vanilla, fudge, white mint, etc.

weight watchers giant latte bars = 90 cal each, and they really are pretty big

sugar-free mini fudgesicles = 40-50 cal each, depending on the brand. small, but good if you really want to eat a lot of them.

sugar-free freeze pops (like the kind you cut off the end and squeeze) = 10 cal each
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I don't think giving it up is a great idea, but definitely portion control. Grab a 1/2 cup measuring cup (typically 1 serving of a B&J pint) and pack the ice cream in there. You'd be surprised how much fits, and then you will be in control of things :)
  • Mangoose
    Options
    I ate a whole tub of bj chocolate fudge once, and I had stomach cramps for the whole of the following day!

Cut back. If you can't stop yourself from eating a tub, don't buy a tub.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I think you know what the answer is, you need to look carefully at what you are putting in your mouth, serving size and nutritional value. I think that if you really want to lose weight, then you have come to the right place, and you can have little treats in moderation, but it sounds like you are eating lots of ber bad for you things on a regular basis. MFP is fll of fab advice, but you have to want to do this for yourself, you have to want to turn your life round and lose that 50lb, you can do it, I have lost 40lb in six months, it is not easy, and it's not quick, bu it does work if you seriously want it xXx
  • orangegalt
    Options
    p.s. before mfp, i was eating a pint of ben & jerry's almost daily. not kidding. for me, the solution was not to "give it up" (i did, technically--i ate cherry garcia froyo the first month of mfp, and then nothing from the brand since probably march--if i'm cheating, i'm saving it for exciting restaurant food!), but to find a substitute that you find satisfying and acceptable. if you're going to sustain your new lifestyle, you have to include the things you want so it's tolerable.
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    At least one other person's already said this, but get the single serving size. It's like a dollar for a little container of it (which isn't good sense financially, but is good sense calorically) That way, you have to stop when it's gone, but it's less than you would otherwise have eaten.
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    Much as you don't want to, it would be the best way to reach your goal. Ben and Jerry's is not known for being diet friendly! I would find another treat to fill that void- skinny cow ice cream sandwhiches are one of my favs. Maybe after you get closer to your goal you could splurge, but a whole pint seems like a bit much...what are the "sunday blues" ? Cheesy as it sounds, a tough workout would get you out of any funk faster than over 1300 calories in one sitting, 80 grams of fat and 124 g of carbohydrates- that's a whole days worth of calories- food for thought :wink:
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    if i'm cheating, i'm saving it for exciting restaurant food!), .

lol!!:laugh: me too!