How to weight train?

Psysix
Psysix Posts: 53 Member
I have been lifting weights, just three pounds weights. I want to build muscle but I'm not sure how to tell if I'm lifting the right amount or how often to do it. Any advice? I'm new to this.

Replies

• gogo8478
    gogo8478 Posts: 4 Member
    Well I lift weights everyother day to give my muscles a day to rest and repair. If you do 3 sets of 15 bicep curls lets say and your muscles arnt tired or it doesnt get harder by the third set, I'd say increase the weight, thats what I do at least. Never hurts to try lifting a heavier weight, just make sure that you keep your form and are making controlled movements. I'm no expert but that has worked for me, I started at 5lb weights and now lift with 15-20 lb weights depending on what exercise I am doing.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    If you want to build muscle you have to lift heavy weights. Do you cave access to a gym?

The way to tell if you are lifting the right amount is how many reps you can do until you can't do anymore.

Curling 3lb weights will help with weight loss but not muscle gain.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Three pounds will do literally nothing. If it did, wouldn't every woman on the planet with a toddler or a large handbag be RIPPED? :huh:
  • Psysix
    Okay thanks. I'll switch to the 5lbs for now and see how that goes. I do have access to a gym.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Okay thanks. I'll switch to the 5lbs for now and see how that goes. I do have access to a gym.

heavier.. I think we are talking about moving to a 45 lbs barbell. (then weights on the sides, yo!)
    Strong lifts 5x5, starting strength, new rules of lifting for women kind of stuff.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    YOu can't build muscle on a deficet unless you are a noob to exercise or obese. To build muscle you have to be eating at a surplus and lifting heavy.

High reps low weights build muscle endurance that's about it.

High weight low reps build strength.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

heavier.. I think we are talking about moving to a 45 lbs barbell. (then weights on the sides, yo!)
    Strong lifts 5x5, starting strength, new rules of lifting for women kind of stuff.

Yes that's what we are talking about...I bench 115lbs...squat 165lbs...that's heavy for me, but I started out with 50lbs bench and 60 squat
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member

^ This
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Sent you a PM.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

a gallon of milk weighs about 7 lbs.

moving on ward and upward to weight that challenges you to lift it more than 5 times.
  • Psysix
    YOu can't build muscle on a deficet unless you are a noob to exercise or obese. To build muscle you have to be eating at a surplus and lifting heavy.

I am pretty new to exercise and also overweight. Should I focus more on losing more weight first then building strength or can I balance the two?: My diet is currently low calorie, low carb, high protein.
  • Psysix
    Sent you a PM.

Thank you. =)
  • JoRocka

I am pretty new to exercise and also overweight. Should I focus more on losing more weight first then building strength or can I balance the two?: My diet is currently low calorie, low carb, high protein.

building strength isn't the same as building size- you can still lose weight and gain strength- but you won't be gaining SIZE. they are different.

So yes- you can do these things. You want to maximize fat and minimize muscle loss across the board- so including strength training is going to help you from losing muscle AND fat.

lift- you won't regret it.
  • Psysix

building strength isn't the same as building size- you can still lose weight and gain strength- but you won't be gaining SIZE. they are different.

So yes- you can do these things. You want to maximize fat and minimize muscle loss across the board- so including strength training is going to help you from losing muscle AND fat.

lift- you won't regret it.

Thanks. I will go check out what I can do at my gym. I am not really interested in gaining size, just lean muscle mass to help my metabolism and not be as weak while lifting things or running.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Does your gym offer personalised programs? That might be worth doing, a PT will develop a program specifically to help you meet your goals.
  • JoRocka
    Thanks. I will go check out what I can do at my gym. I am not really interested in gaining size, just lean muscle mass to help my metabolism and not be as weak while lifting things or running.

You won't- so don't sweat that- gaining size is actually laughably difficult to do.

You'll be fine if you eat at a deficit and start looking into some compound lifts. :D
  • Psysix
    Does your gym offer personalised programs? That might be worth doing, a PT will develop a program specifically to help you meet your goals.

Good idea. My university offers PTs at pretty low costs. Didn't consider that. =)