Too much protein? Is this why I am not losing?

I just started today but I have already lost 16 lbs hoping this website will help me lose more! I recorded my food and I am over in the protein category by 8. I have 230 calories left. 25 sugars left. 77 carbs left and 3 fats left.

Is it possible i eat too much protein? Could protein be prohibiting me from losing weight?

Help appreciated.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    nope..excess calories prevent weight loss.

besides the macros are low on MFP...I ate over 120g of protien today and almost everyday...I lose weight.
  • I eat between 110-130 grams of protein per day and do not put on weight - if anything I lose it.
  • Okay great, thanks for the replies. I am under in calories and under by a lot in carbs and sugar. i am happy about all of those!

I try to eat an organic/ raw high protein/ low carb/ low sugar diet. It is cool to keep track of it on here and see that my food intentions are successful.

You both look amazing!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Based on your profile, you have been on this site for a max of 4 days. Weight fluctuates daily as much as 5-7 lbs or more. Try a method for one month and then evaluate your plan again.
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    I eat 1-2kg of protein per day and I lose weight
  • @psulemon. I stated that TODAY is my first time on this site recording my food. In the last couple months I have lost 16lbs.

I was simply wondering about the protein portion of the food counter.
  • psuLemon
    @psulemon. I stated that TODAY is my first time on this site recording my food. In the last couple months I have lost 16lbs.

I was simply wondering about the protein portion of the food counter.

Cool.. Generally it's accepted to eat around 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass... many of us adjust our profiles to compensate for that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    you can go into custom settings and change your macro % to 40 p/ 30carb/ 30 fats…that is a pretty standard split..

also, overeating makes you gain, not too much protein ..unless you eat so much protein, that you are not in a deficit...
  • Is your calorie target too far under what your actual 'resting metabolic rate' should be? If you don't eat enough calories this can slow weight loss as your body slows the metabolism to compensate for not enough food coming in and holds on the fat stores.
  • Thank you both....

The protein thing just threw me off and since I am at a bit of a plateau I was hoping for an easy fix :)

When I go to fitwatch to calculate my calorie intake it says I should be eating more calories. So, I will watch that. Thanks.
  • so I'm just a little confused! I'm hear on MFP because I dont want to feel too deprived, but still stay within my calorie range. Ive done Bernstein and Herbal Life, and offcourse I gained it back. They were both strict diets and veryyyyy low in calories and I lost weight.
    So my question would be is why is everyone saying that if you dont eat enough calories you wont loose weight? BUT when I was on those two programs the pounds constantly came off..and it was sooo strictt.......
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    so I'm just a little confused! I'm hear on MFP because I dont want to feel too deprived, but still stay within my calorie range. Ive done Bernstein and Herbal Life, and offcourse I gained it back. They were both strict diets and veryyyyy low in calories and I lost weight.
    So my question would be is why is everyone saying that if you dont eat enough calories you wont loose weight? BUT when I was on those two programs the pounds constantly came off..and it was sooo strictt.......

some people chronically under eat for a long time (like less than 1200) this then causes them to have metabolic damage and their metabolism slows down ..the only way to fix this is to increase calories to a point where your metabolism "resets" and essentially goes back to normal …

So you need to find the right deficit, which is usually 500 calories per day, which equate to a 1 pound per week loss...
  • psuLemon
    so I'm just a little confused! I'm hear on MFP because I dont want to feel too deprived, but still stay within my calorie range. Ive done Bernstein and Herbal Life, and offcourse I gained it back. They were both strict diets and veryyyyy low in calories and I lost weight.

some people chronically under eat for a long time (like less than 1200) this then causes them to have metabolic damage and their metabolism slows down ..the only way to fix this is to increase calories to a point where your metabolism "resets" and essentially goes back to normal …

So you need to find the right deficit, which is usually 500 calories per day, which equate to a 1 pound per week loss...

This. With low calorie diets.. a large portion of that weight that "always comes off" is muscle. Muscle is directly tied to your metabolic rate . So now, post program, your body will naturally burn less calories because you lost muscle. And since your metabolic rate is lowered, so will your total daily energy expended (or your maintenance calories). This is why people gain back quickly. Where once you could have maintained at 2200 + calories, your new TDEE could be 1700 or less for the same daily routine. This is why diets are garbage. Not only do they not teach you how to eat, they cut calories hard to ensure people lose weight and stay on their programs.