anyone doing INSANITY program? need motivation

i just got the INSANITY program yesterday, and i did the fitness test i almost died it was soo hard i couldnt even make for the first minute.. does it get any better?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Do you want to know the REAL answer? :P

If it got better it wouldn't be the hardest workout program out there today. I'm not saying this to scare you but to be honest. It's called "Insanity" for a reason and it is an EXTREME workout for a reason. That being said, I figure if I can do it, ANYONE can! The purpose of the fit test is just that, to see how fit you are going into it. You do the fit test every few weeks to see how you're progressing.

When I did it, I couldn't do all the moves and had to take an embarrassing amount of breaks but every time I re-did the fit test I noticed I could do more and more and more. When I finished the program (which took me two extra weeks) I was the fittest I've EVER BEEN.

So it is hard? HELL YES! Is it worth it? HELL YES!

Feel free to friend me and if you'd like to join a group with other people who've done Insanity as well, let me know and I can give you details. It'll help you get through the program and give you a lot of motivation to keep going! :)
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    I got good news and bad news.

Does it get better? Hayul Nah
    Do YOU get better? Hayul Yes!

That's the beauty of Insanity. It doesn't get easier, no way, no how. BUT, you get stronger, you get faster, you get more agile, and you become more fit. So the fit test kicked your butt, join the club, it did that to all of us, but as the weeks progress, if you stick to it, you'll kick it's butt.

If it makes you feel any better, there are some max programs that Shaun T can't get through without stopping so don't let your stopping stop you.

#insanitygrad
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Agree with other responses!!!! As for how to get through it--JUST DO IT!!!! I just finished month 1 yesterday (and am really nervous for the much harder month 2!) and to be honest, most of the days I had to MAKE myself do it. With that said, I felt SO GOOD each day afterwards (sweaty and exhausted and achy, but good!). Just do what you can each day and you'll find that gradually you can do more and more and have to take fewer and fewer extra breaks. You'll also get to see how much better you can do the next time you take the fit test.

Good luck and don't give up!!!!! :smile:
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    I'm midway through week 4 of Month one. I'm here to tell you it NEVER gets better. You just have to do the best you can do every time you do it. You will not keep up with the video people. Even the video people can't always keep up. You'll want to give up half way through the video. But if you push yourself through it. You'll feel better about yourself. You'll feel like a stronger you. Just keep trying. I believe in you. :smile:
  • golfmanwl
    golfmanwl Posts: 69
    I did the whole series of INSANITY without missing a day. Like you, that first day, that fit test...kicked my butt. And, like you, I thought if the rest of it was like that, I'd never make it through the program. Then...the first actual workout came...and I started. Put that first disc/workout in, and off I went....and man oh man was it kicking my butt too.

Then that buzzer or whatever sound it is in the disc went off, that shows you it's time to stop/change/take a break....and Shaun T says something about the warm up being over. WARM UP!?!?!?!? Warm up! Are you kidding me?! THAT was just a warm up?!
    And I thought "no way I can do this"....but I trudged on. And made it through the whole series.

You can do it too. You can make it. I played football all the way through major college level, and I can say INSANITY is the hardest workout I've ever done. At the end of each block, when that rest time came, I would literally fall to the floor and lie there until about the last 10 seconds, then I'd get to my knees and crawl over to my water, drink, wipe off with a towel, and time's up, get right back to it.

You can do it. One thing that's great about INSANITY is that in spite of how hard it is, you can go at your own pace, push yourself as hard or as little as you want to. Another thing that's good about it is that you see progress...you start with doing X number of globe jumps, or switch kicks - but then you see yourself doing X+ as you go along. That progress encouraged me, and should you as well. Plus, one thing that helped me get through it is to just be able to say I did - I made it- I did it, the whole thing. I beat it, it didn't beat me!

A few tips before you get too far into it:

- it has lots of jumping and impact and can be hard on your body

- take precaution for the above...I did it in my basement and it has a concrete floor with carpet over it, so I went and bought some cushioning. I bought that interlocking foam exercise flooring and put it on top of my carpet (wanted to protect my body and the carpet), then I bought two thick rubber horse stall matts, and put them on top of the locking foam matting. I also went and bought some new running shoes (for both INSANITY and to start running again). I bought some Hoka One One's that are specifically made to have extra cushioning and are made for off road running (can not recommend them enough for both INSANITY and running - they are great running shoes).

- take some ibuprophen as you go along in the series to help with soreness and inflammation

- drink lots of water as you do the workout...hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. If you push yourself and work hard, you will not believe how sweaty you will get.

Good luck, and just keep plugging away. It will get you in fantastic shape.
  • golfmanwl
    Agree with other responses!!!! As for how to get through it--JUST DO IT!!!! I just finished month 1 yesterday (and am really nervous for the much harder month 2!) and to be honest, most of the days I had to MAKE myself do it. With that said, I felt SO GOOD each day afterwards (sweaty and exhausted and achy, but good!). Just do what you can each day and you'll find that gradually you can do more and more and have to take fewer and fewer extra breaks. You'll also get to see how much better you can do the next time you take the fit test.

Good luck and don't give up!!!!! :smile:

I echo all of this.
    LOL, like I said, tI thought the warm up was hard.... then the workout was harder...then the workouts get longer...then the 2nd month at first felt like staring all over again because it's even harder and longer, LOL.

But, you CAN do it.
  • golfmanwl
    I'm midway through week 4 of Month one. I'm here to tell you it NEVER gets better. You just have to do the best you can do every time you do it. You will not keep up with the video people. Even the video people can't always keep up. You'll want to give up half way through the video. But if you push yourself through it. You'll feel better about yourself. You'll feel like a stronger you. Just keep trying. I believe in you. :smile:

Some good points in this too:

- watch the people in the disc workout...some make it look easy, some don't (generally the ones in the back are the weaker). You'll see some of them kicking butt, you'll see some of them slacking off and "cheating" a bit on the moves...but they are like us, just trying to do it and get it done. Find motivation in some of those people - ones you want to look like, ones you like and want to keep up with, ones you don't like and want to out-do, ones your age or body type, whatever you can find to use as motivation (I personally liked Tonia even though people seem to either run hot or cold on her, and the long and lean athletic looking blonde, Ariel - she always works hard and looks good LOL...there was also this girl that wore red and black, never got her name, but she was a work out beast, just in phenomenal shape).

Yeah, I know it may seem a bit weird to get that into the cast of the disc, but believe me...when you are spending the total amount of time you are/will looking at them over and over on the disc, you become to "know" them as workout partners in a very tiny, small way. Some will annoy you, some will inspire you, LOL. You spend so much time looking at them, it's funny the things you pick up or notice, LOL.
    Don't believe me, check this link out I found just now when I went to remember/look up the names of the cast: http://justadddietcoke.blogspot.com/2012/08/dig-deeper-my-adventures-with-shaun-t.html

Here's the cast members I referred to:

Tonia:
    http://fitzaang.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/tania-insanity-plyo.png

Ariel:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g7I0fnBPEMM/UDwtPvY1dGI/AAAAAAAAACY/Lcmude96mYY/s1600/Switch-Kicks.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BhdtKLuI5BE/T6MQsmnad7I/AAAAAAAABBc/UfTgyyYX_Cs/s1600/Insanity_Cardio-Recovery-knee-stretches.jpg
    http://mannequinbusride.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/plankinsanity.jpg

Girl in red/black that was super fit and impressive:
    http://www.buildahardbody.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Insanity_Plyometric_Cardio_Cir-Mummy-Kicks-300x240.jpg
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/69/b4/7e/69b47eae9e5b99fec54ef3400288a594.jpg
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member

Some good points in this too:

- watch the people in the disc workout...some make it look easy, some don't (generally the ones in the back are the weaker). You'll see some of them kicking butt, you'll see some of them slacking off and "cheating" a bit on the moves...but they are like us, just trying to do it and get it done. Find motivation in some of those people - ones you want to look like, ones you like and want to keep up with, ones you don't like and want to out-do, ones your age or body type, whatever you can find to use as motivation (I personally liked Tonia even though people seem to either run hot or cold on her, and the long and lean athletic looking blonde, Ariel - she always works hard and looks good LOL...there was also this girl that wore red and black, never got her name, but she was a work out beast, just in phenomenal shape).

Yeah, I know it may seem a bit weird to get that into the cast of the disc, but believe me...when you are spending the total amount of time you are/will looking at them over and over on the disc, you become to "know" them as workout partners in a very tiny, small way. Some will annoy you, some will inspire you, LOL. You spend so much time looking at them, it's funny the things you pick up or notice, LOL.

A ton of truth in this. I can't stand Tonia!!!!! That's Shaun T's little favorite who's always kicking butt. I feel like I must outdo her! I can't but I try. lol
  • golfmanwl
    Testing to see if I can get the pics to show. Would have gone back and edited original post, but seems they only give you a short window to edit.

Here's the cast members I referred to:

Tonia:

tania-insanity-plyo.png

Ariel:

(on right in 2nd pic)
    Switch-Kicks.jpg
    Insanity_Cardio-Recovery-knee-stretches.jpg
    plankinsanity.jpg

Girl in red/black that was super fit and impressive:

Insanity_Plyometric_Cardio_Cir-Mummy-Kicks-300x240.jpg
    69b47eae9e5b99fec54ef3400288a594.jpg
  • beccalc1981
    beccalc1981 Posts: 16 Member
    It's hard, but I love it! I really hope I finish the entire program this time. I've started it a few times but haven't made it through. Here goes nothing...