Loose, Flabby Skin...Any Suggestions?

Options
So I've almost lost 100lbs & I want to lose about 125lbs more after that. But already, I'm starting to notice my EXTREMELY flabby arms, stomach, & thighs. Any suggests on how to tighten this up?

Replies

• cazattack2
    cazattack2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I might not be the best person to answer your question, but a friend of mine who had a gastric surgery to reduce her stomach size couldn't get rid of the loose skin with diet and exercise alone, and shes now a marathon runner (very, very fit and active). She had to have it surgically removed when her weight was maintained for a year. :(
  • BlueOrchidMoon77
    Options
    Ugh, yeah, I really would rather not have surgery.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Strength training can help, I've heard, but it can take years and years to get your skin firm again, if ever.

I have a five year plan, myself. I am giving myself two years to lose all of the weight that I want to lose (180 lb total), two years of focusing on maintaining and toning, and one year after that to lead a healthy lifestyle and continue on my fitness journey. If after three years of maintenance and commitment to toning and strength training, I still have extremely loose skin, I will have skin removal surgery.

I've already started saving... so hopefully the gym will tighten my skin up, cause then I'll be able to go on a KILLER vacation at the end of my five years!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Start heavy strength training 100lbs ago (or as soon as possible). That would/will help somewhat.

Give it a few years to try to bounce back a little, which will also help somewhat.

Other than, given your goal of 225lbs lost, your other real options are:

Live with it
    or
    Surgery
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it tightens up some over time, but in extreme cases you're probably going to need surgery. I'm kind of fearing that too once I hit my goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Having to lose 80+ lbs will usually result in some or alot of loose skin. It's tissue that CANNOT be reduced with exercise or diet. Time may have it retract some, but in many cases there will still be significant amount usually left behind to notice.

At that point, as mentioned above, you either live with it, or get it surgically removed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    So I've almost lost 100lbs & I want to lose about 125lbs more after that. But already, I'm starting to notice my EXTREMELY flabby arms, stomach, & thighs. Any suggests on how to tighten this up?

Looks like you and I lost just about same amount of weight. Personally, I notiiced excess skin about a year into my weight loss. I did a lot of research. Bottom line - skin is your largest organ. You need to provide this organ with 3 things. 1-hydration, 2-nutrition, 3-build muscle.

Hydration - supply your body with plenty of fluids, especially if you excersize. Water, no sugary water. And definitely not pop.
    Nutrition - I was on low carb first year of my weight loss jorney. I lost 40lbs and stopped. However, my last year I went totally nutritarian. (and lost additional 50lb). Raw plants and fruits foods. Plant based diet. Rich in micronutrients, antioxidants, minerals, aminoacids. Low fat.
    Build muscle - That goes without saying, If you workout, lift weights and also cardio, the muscle will grow, the fat cells around will disappear and skin will naturally shrink. It is most elastic organ in our body. And also skin re-generates every so often.

Finally, I purchased some expensive face cream. I am not sure if it benefits, but in the past 2 years my chicken neck and my moobs somewhat shrunk, so I know all of the above work.

My take on this. It took me 30 years to make my skin the size it was when I was 260 pounds. I can hang around 2-3 and watch it go back. :)

Good luck!!