i am getting so discouraged

Options
ok, so my food diary is open for those who want to look....

I am getting to the point where I want to give up. ive been weighing and tracking all my food. ive even been exercising, yet yesterday I was up 0.1 and today I am up 0.4! I have no idea what is wrong with me. the last two days I have been weighing at around the same time in the morning aswell.

I should add I know its not good to weigh yourself everyday, but I do the wii fit and in order to log in you day you need to do a weigh in.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    your diary isn't open but regardless being up 0.1 then 0.4 lbs is not a big deal..

that's half a pound...water weight hello.

Yah don't weigh every day unless it's your food.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    oops I thought that it was...ill change that
  • cassidyamymommy
    Options
    there, I opened it. sorry about that
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First of all, try to use weight for food, unless these are liquids. One cup of cheese for example, or one slice of bread, it could mean a lot of things and you could be easily eating half or double of what you think you are eating.
    Second, when making home made meals (I assume a lot are recipes, correct?) again use a scale, do the sums and then calculate portions by dividing what you made in equal parts (if it is somethign where this is possible, like cut a cake, loaf etc it in 10 slices) or again use a scale to find how much all the pot is, and divide this to figure out how much you ate.
    And give yourself time. Do not use the scale daily, you will just get discouraged.
  • Janicerr
    Janicerr Posts: 2
    Options
    Do not be discouraged this is the best system I have ever used to loose weight . You seem to be doing a lot of exercise this will build up muscle and muscle weighs more. I found after 2 weeks of counting calories I more or less eat the same things . Be honest with the calories . Use the nhs choices plan change 4 life for recipe ideas and watch the calories in drink . Good luck.
  • brager3
    brager3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DO NOT give up we all have those moments. Watching calories and exercise is the way to go. Look back at your foods and check your sodium. If it was going to be easy then things like myfitnesspal would not be needed.....GOOD LUCK!
  • yogi4500
    yogi4500 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello,

I just looked at your food diary, but i'm curious to see why is your calorie intake so high. I started off weighing 303 and It had me at 1400 calories. I have lost 23 pounds. i have went from 1400 calories to 1300. I believe that is where you are going wrong. Try to reduce your calorie intake.
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm in same position as you. But just to clarify regarding your weight...

1lb of fat = 1lb of fat ... but due to the nature of fat it appears big (large volume)

1lb of muscle = 1lb of muscle ... but you guessed it, because muscle is leaner and smaller it appears smaller

So if you're working out and your muscles are becoming toned, your volume of fat may be shrinking but your leaner muscles are accounting for the higher or same weight! My solution is track your waist, chest, hip, thigh and arm measurements. I gained 2lb on last week but have lost 1/2-1 inch on all my stats so not too worried what the scales say because lean muscle increases metabolism and calorie burn so soon enough the fat will disappear.
  • cassidyamymommy
    Options
    I also have it set to lose 1 pound a week, should I change it to 2 pounds a week or lower it to 0.5 a week?
  • cassidyamymommy
    Options
    the reason my calories were so high was because I had it set to only lose 1 pound a week. when I change it to 2 pounds a week it goes down to 1440. im wondering if it would be alright to try it at two pounds a week for a while and see how that goes. it just doesn't seem like a lot of calories. I don't want to starve myself.
  • ntftnm
    ntftnm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weigh 188 and when I meet my calorie goals (1580) I do lose weigh. I wouldn't lower my calories quickly if I were you, but maybe you would want to lower them by 100 or so and see how that feels and does with the scales. Do any changes gradually. When I started here I tried to do the 1200 calorie thing but I was hungry all the time and frustrated because I wasn't losing anything. I changed my calories and now....I feel much happier and am seeing some success (when I log accurately and don't go way over). Be patient and stay strong, it will happen. Keep logging!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You only joined in Feb!! Give your body chance to adjust to a new lifestyle. Noticable change does not happen over night.

My advise to you is - do not weigh yourself every day. Your body weight fluctuates anyway. Weigh yourself once a week first thing in the morning.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged!! If you stay under your calculated calorie goal, you will lose (amusing you are measuring and recording accurately). I went 2 whole weeks without losing (fluctuated between 1 and 3 pounds). This week I'm dropping weight like crazy. It's not consistent and your weight will fluctuate.

Give it a week or two and then evaluate where you are. Don't get discouraged over 2 weigh ins.

BTW, I weigh every day. It's how I keep myself on track and motivated.
  • jenanon1
    jenanon1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The thing is that there are loads of things that affect your weight, not just calories. Water, TOM, salt intake, bathroom habits. But if you are eating at a deficit for you, then you will lose.

My weight fluctulates day to day, and I do weigh daily just so I can log the reductions and ignore the fluctuations.

For example, last week I was down almost 2lbs. This week most days I've been back up by 3 lbs or more, but I know I am retaining water because my rings are tight, and it's running up to Mother Nature's monthly visitor. And once my water weight has gone I'll be down another 2-3 lbs at least from what I was last week. This I know because I know I'm honestly eating at a deficit. There's no way I have put weight on, I can only have lost despite what the scales say from one day to the next.

You'll be fine, hang in there!
  • Singlejules
    Singlejules Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi. Dont feel discouraged. I know how you feel. I was doing weight watchers since Christmas but not losing. So last week i started properly on here and in my first week I have lost 6lb. ( But its not first week as I have been dieting since 7th Jan 2014).
    I have set my total for the day at 1400. Im not hungry on this. I have just gone under the 200lb now and Im so glad.
    Chin up. We are here to support you. Feel free to add me if you want :smile:
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I just looked at your food diary, but i'm curious to see why is your calorie intake so high. I started off weighing 303 and It had me at 1400 calories. I have lost 23 pounds. i have went from 1400 calories to 1300. I believe that is where you are going wrong. Try to reduce your calorie intake.

I disagree. I started off weighing the same as you. MFP set me at 1400 which worked for a while and then I plateaued. I did some reading and found I was eating way under my BMR even eating back exercise calories. I calculated my TDEE and BMR (2750 & 1670 respecitively at my current weight) and now eat 1900 cals a day. Using your method of reducing from 1400 as you lose how many cal do you intend eating wheen you get within say 20lbs of your target weight?! Use something like this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to calculate what you should be eating for a reasonable loss.

OP, make sure you weight and measure everything. As someone else has said a cup of something is very subjective and may be wildly inaccurate one way or another.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    A couple of things I saw:

1) you're under your calorie goal. Shouldn't be. Less isn't always more, particularly in weight loss. If you aren't eating enough, your body will think it's in starvation mode and hold on to every calorie you put into it.

2) I saw some going over on sodium....make sure you drink enough water to counterbalance that.

3) You're not tracking fiber. I've found that to be pretty important.

4) Like others have said, make sure you're realistic and as accurate as possible with your portion sizes. Did you grab a handful of doritos, or did you actually have the serving size of 11 chips? It does make a difference.