overt hypothyroidism? Anyone has good knowledge about it?

Options
I went for a full body check up with my family and i got my thyroid checked. I got the results today and they don't look good. I am yet to consult with a proper doctor about it.... anyone here has much knowledge about it??

My T3 is normal...
T4 was 4.58 which ideally should be 4.87 - 11.72

BUT my TSH is alarming..... Its 10.98 which should be 0.35 - 4.98

What does this mean?? I will see a doctor tomorrow but right now i'm kinda freakin out.... Is it bad? Is this the reason for my weight gain? and is this treatable or would i have to be on medicine for a long time??

Please help!! Thanks!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Vatanyar
    Vatanyar Posts: 2
    Options
    I had exactly the opposite condition, I had hyperthyroidism, and I lost about 4 kilos in a month or so (quite significant amount for me), and I had extremely high heartrate even when asleep. But they only made me take some pills (plus extra protection for liver), and I was fine in a month. I still had to take pills for a year after that, but it was only to ensure there'll be no relapse, and the dose was quite small. Right now I am totally fine. Don't freak out. They told me I could have passed away from a heart attack if I didn't go to a doctor, but the disease itself with modern medicines is not that dangerous. I gained back the weight I lost, and my metabolism is fine since then, so I guess the same would apply to you.
    I wish you all the best, and I hope you'll recover as fast and smooth as I did, or even faster =)) Do not worry too much.
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the opposite condition, I had hyperthyroidism, and I lost about 4 kilos in a month or so (quite significant amount for me), and I had extremely high heartrate even when asleep. But they only made me take some pills (plus extra protection for liver), and I was fine in a month. I still had to take pills for a year after that, but it was only to ensure there'll be no relapse, and the dose was quite small. Right now I am totally fine. Don't freak out. They told me I could have passed away from a heart attack if I didn't go to a doctor, but the disease itself with modern medicines is not that dangerous. I gained back the weight I lost, and my metabolism is fine since then, so I guess the same would apply to you.
    I wish you all the best, and I hope you'll recover as fast and smooth as I did, or even faster =)) Do not worry too much.

YA i will see a doctor tomorrow morning... i think this is pretty common..but still it sucks... no wonder all my workouts n clean diet didn't show much results....
  • Christinelmt78
    Options
    I too have Hypothyroidism.. I was diagnosed when I was 20 and my tSH was also a 10 back then.. Don't freak out, the doctor will put you on a daily medicine and monitor your levels . The meds will be lifelong and you should have to tAke it everyday.. That does explain your weight gain and other symptoms that you may have ( fatigue, dry hair/skin, always cold) .. Hypothyroid is very common especially among women..feel free to add me or ask me any questions
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I went for a full body check up with my family and i got my thyroid checked. I got the results today and they don't look good. I am yet to consult with a proper doctor about it.... anyone here has much knowledge about it??

My T3 is normal...
    T4 was 4.58 which ideally should be 4.87 - 11.72

BUT my TSH is alarming..... Its 10.98 which should be 0.35 - 4.98

What does this mean?? I will see a doctor tomorrow but right now i'm kinda freakin out.... Is it bad? Is this the reason for my weight gain? and is this treatable or would i have to be on medicine for a long time??

Please help!! Thanks!!! :flowerforyou:
    Calm down. Wait until you see a Doctor. All that getting opinions from random people on the Internet is likely to do is worry you even more.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and it's really not too big a problem. I take a pill every morning and that completely controls it. Don't worry. :smile:
  • RuchikaPal
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and it's really not too big a problem. I take a pill every morning and that completely controls it. Don't worry. :smile:

you do look great in your display pic.... :flowerforyou:
    I too have Hypothyroidism.. I was diagnosed when I was 20 and my tSH was also a 10 back then.. Don't freak out, the doctor will put you on a daily medicine and monitor your levels . The meds will be lifelong and you should have to tAke it everyday.. That does explain your weight gain and other symptoms that you may have ( fatigue, dry hair/skin, always cold) .. Hypothyroid is very common especially among women..feel free to add me or ask me any questions

Lifelong medication does sound bad n sucks :embarassed: but i think its better than undiagnosed thyroid.... It's just that it is quite unexpected for me...so will take time to getting used to it...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I see an endocrinologist every three months, and will take medication for the rest of my life. As others have said, it's totally worth it. I feel so much better than before I was diagnosed. Thyroid hormones affect your body & mind so much.
  • RuchikaPal
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I see an endocrinologist every three months, and will take medication for the rest of my life. As others have said, it's totally worth it. I feel so much better than before I was diagnosed. Thyroid hormones affect your body & mind so much.

Been reading about it online ever since i got my report and it totally explains why i used to be so lazy all the time... and often moody.... also my excessive hairfall.... This does explain everything.... I hope just like you said even i feel better once i get on medication...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Thyroid meds totally changed my life, but it takes time. Your endo will start you on a low dosage, take regular blood tests, and adjust accordingly. Educate yourself about what your test results mean and which medications are available.

With luck, you'll find an endo who adjusts your dosage based on both labs and on your symptoms. "Normal" levels are not always right for everyone.
  • danni187
    danni187 Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't freak out or be worried! I have had this since I was 15 years olf (now 23), you will have to be on thyroxine a medication which will get your levels right!
    I think it is harder to loose weight with a lazy metabolisim but you can do it, and when your levels start balancing out you will loose the weight you put on - well that's what happened to me!
  • RuchikaPal
    Options
    Don't freak out or be worried! I have had this since I was 15 years olf (now 23), you will have to be on thyroxine a medication which will get your levels right!
    I think it is harder to loose weight with a lazy metabolisim but you can do it, and when your levels start balancing out you will loose the weight you put on - well that's what happened to me!

I wonder how soon it gets back to normal once you start medication? :indifferent:
  • danni187
    danni187 Posts: 10
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in replying - it takes approximately 2 weeks for the medication to begin to work.
    Within 3 months my levels were normal

Hope you are well :)
  • RuchikaPal
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in replying - it takes approximately 2 weeks for the medication to begin to work.
    Within 3 months my levels were normal

Hope you are well :)

Hey thanks for that.. My doctor recommended me to get the test done again after a gap of 20 days...i got my result today and the TSH level has increased... its 12.26 now... Will see my doctor tomorrow... lil nervous :frown:
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    being hypo sucks. Completely. If you've been feeling tired, cold, gaining weight and/or not losing weight despite a low cal diet, along with a host of all other possible issues (mine included being overly emotional, and having so many split ends I couldn't even brush my hair), these will all be fixed with a pill. It may take a while to find the correct dosage, but with persistance you will get there.

While no disorder is "good" to have, this one is at least easily treatable :)

Good luck, and like others said, try not to worry to much.
  • s_light
    s_light Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid completely removed when I was 24 due to cancer. I now take a hormone replacement pill everyday, we are still trying to adjust my medication to where I need to be. But, it is getting better. Wait until you talk to your doctor, he will know more about what will work best for you.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. It's simple. And the daily pill is really tiny. It can take up to 6 months for your levels to stabilize as they adjust the dosage of your medication. I get my blood tested about every 6 months (sometimes a year if I'm feeling good) and meds are sometimes adjusted. If you have to have a "condition", this is a pretty easy one to have.

Once your levels are stabilized, it shouldn't affect your ability to lose weight. Put in the work, and it will come off.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options

I wonder how soon it gets back to normal once you start medication? :indifferent:
    It depends on the person and the dosage. When I was diagnosed, my endo started me on a low dose, that was in late summer 2013, she upped my dose at each visit (6 weeks apart) until my most recent appointment in Feb, she said I'm at the level she wants me at and kept me there (and I don't have to go back til May this time). So it can vary from person to person