Weight training program

Options
msstatz
msstatz Posts: 163 Member
I have reached my goal weight by eating healthily and doing Insanity (I have about 2.5 weeks left) and now I would like to start weight training to get more muscle definition and lose fat. I have looked at many websites and have looked at several books, but it is overwhelming where to start. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I workout at home and have free weights and a bench press with a leg thing (sorry) where you can sit on the edge and lift your legs straight out while lifting weight. My husband also has resistance bands that I could use. Any suggestions on where to start? What kind of routine to use? How often and for how long do I work each muscle? Sorry for all of the questions. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Replies

• MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    How about stronglifts 5x5 or NROLFW?

There are ladies groups for both on here.

I am doing stronglifts myself at the moment, on week 5 now, the program has basic compound moves, squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench presses and barbell curls and you alternate the workout.
  • RUGGEDGerit
    Options
    The TNT Diet book has an excellent workout program in it. This book was originally written for a male audience, but don't let that scare you . Most of the exercises can be done at home and it is a 30 min workout. You can choose to pay attention to the nutritional info, or just skip right to the workouts. The workouts are also designed for someone new to weight workouts.

On the other hand, if you are already familiar with Beach Body programs, like insanity, then have you considered P90X. The new version 3 is also only a 30 min workout. I have not used the new version, but the original version was great.

Also there is a book, called "New Rules of Lifting for Women" That you might find helpful.

Congratulations on making your goal, and good luck with your new challenge.
  • IsilethAwesome
    Options
    You cannot go wrong with Stronglifts 5x5 - this is a great beginners program with excellent linear progression and not alot of required knowledge. First though get Starting Strength 3d Edition to get the major lifts down.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just started Arnold Scharzeneggar's Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuilding on Monday, my weights aren't heavy enough to do less than 12 reps of any exercise so I will have to bust out my resistance bands!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I am doing stronglifts myself at the moment, on week 5 now, the program has basic compound moves, squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench presses and barbell curls and you alternate the workout.

hmm SL doesn't have curls...it has rows.
    Never the less it's a great program and I am on week 26 of it..
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I found an app called JEFIT that I think I am going to start out with and see how it goes. Thanks again!
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

hmm SL doesn't have curls...it has rows.
    Never the less it's a great program and I am on week 26 of it..

I did mean rows, just checking that everyone is awake in here :blushing: