Improving my shape without dropping weight/inches

Options
Hello guys,
I've been on MFP for almost 1 year 10 months up to now and I've lost 17 kgs, starting from 83 kgs. I'm female, 22 years old, 165 cm, and now weight around 66 kgs, which puts in me in the high part of the healthy BMI range for my height, but I think I've come very far and I'm satisfied of the result. I have decided not to lose more weight since my goal was never to get thin, and possibly keeping my somewhat hourglass shape without all of the unnecessary and unhealthy fat. I am satisfied now even if I'm sure I am not at my ideal weight, it's just not bothering me that much at the moment and who knows, maybe dropping those kgs has just been the starting of a new life long process, I'm young and I can always change my mind. :)

Anyway, I have been mostly doing cardio during the first part of my weightloss journey: stationary bike, running, step, walking, stuff like that. I've been trying to challenge myself with strenght training and weights since last December, and even if I workout at home I'm already finding some improvements. My arms now have small prominent biceps and my legs seem much stronger. Unfortunately, some other improvements seem to be very slow and barely noticeable. Just like many other girls in this world, my worst spots are my upper thighs and butt. I'm somewhat disproportionate since I have a 31 cm difference between my waist and butt, and I really want to work hard on my lower body because of it.

Here comes the question: I don't want to lose more inches at the moment, and I wouldn't mind keeping my weight constant. Is it possible then, while eating at manteinance, to still work on improving my shape? I would like to challenge myself more and more with the strenght training, and maybe become able to sustain a short run or other strenght activities. I want to become stronger, I want to bear efforts more easily, but I know that when you start strenght training it's easy to keep your weight constant while actually losing inches.

I would just like to look better without actually changing my body weight or measurements. Do you think it's possible? How many calories does it require and are there specific exercises I have to do (or avoid) to reach this goal?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    yes, this is possible through a program of heavy lifting using compound movements = squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead press, pull ups/chin ups….I would recommend picking up a copy of starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman and also you tube some of the moves to get the form down. Once you have the form down, build a program around compound movements where you are working out in the 8-10 rep range and maybe three to four sets of each exercise. You could go with something like:

Monday - chest/arsm
    tuesday - off/cardio/abs
    wens - legs
    thursday - off/cardio/abs
    friday - back/shoulders
    saturday/sunday off/active rest/etc…

or an upper lower split..

monday - upper
    tues - lower
    wens - off
    thurs - upper
    friday - lower
    sat/sun - off/acive rest/abs/cardio etc

i would also recommend setting your macro percentages to 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fats...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure how you would change your shape without losing inches, changing weight or measurements. That just doesn't add up in my head. With weight training, you would possibly gain or retain muscle while burning fat, which would equate to losing inches in some spots(fat loss) and even perhaps gaining in some because of muscle. Usually you would lose the inches due to fat loss, though, before actually gaining muscle mass, which would happen when you increase calories.

Are you eating maintenance calories now? Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat as well as logging food and all exercise?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm not really sure how you would change your shape without losing inches, changing weight or measurements. That just doesn't add up in my head. With weight training, you would possibly gain or retain muscle while burning fat, which would equate to losing inches in some spots(fat loss) and even perhaps gaining in some because of muscle. Usually you would lose the inches due to fat loss, though, before actually gaining muscle mass, which would happen when you increase calories.

Are you eating maintenance calories now? Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat as well as logging food and all exercise?

I was reading this as OP wanted to slowly drop body fat while recomping…but maybe I read this wrong..??
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not sure how you could "improve" the way you look without losing inches or lbs. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. If you want to change your "shape" that's going to require 1 part getting bigger/smaller while another part stays the same or gets bigger/smaller too. Wouldn't it?

All I can tell you is that since I started using weights...I am smaller (all over). I didn't lose weight, but I lost inches. I'm basically the same shape...a smaller, firmer version of the same shape.

If you are happy where you are at now...just set your calories to maintenance and keep up the cardio. You might have to adjust cals/running a bit.
  • lisalsd1
    Options

I interpreted as "spot reduce," b/c she mentioned butt and thighs...and speaking as a woman, that's what we all want to "spot reduce." I'm not familiar with the metric system, so I don't know how "disproportionate" she is...
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

My problem is that I still look flabby, so I want to fix this. I want my body to look more toned, without actually getting smaller (which comes from losing weight/cms).
    I don't know what is it that makes my body (especially my lower body) look so "bad", but I guess it's the fat %. If I could build a reasonable amount of muscle to substitute some of this fat, I would probably look better, but since muscle is more compact than fat tissue, I would somewhat end up being smaller if I didn't build some extra muscle.

I want to start eating at manteinance (1780 kcals) starting from today, measuring everything I eat just like I did during the past years.
  • lisalsd1
    Options

My problem is that I still look flabby, so I want to fix this. I want my body to look more toned, without actually getting smaller (which comes from losing weight/cms).
    I don't know what is it that makes my body (especially my lower body) look so "bad", but I guess it's the fat %. If I could build a reasonable amount of muscle to substitute some of this fat, I would probably look better, but since muscle is more compact than fat tissue, I would somewhat end up being smaller if I didn't build some extra muscle.

I want to start eating at manteinance (1780 kcals) starting from today, measuring everything I eat just like I did during the past years.

Ok, I get it now. Yeah...it's fat. I have the same problem. Squatting and leg work will make your legs look better, but that requires muscle and the muscle will be smaller than the fat. I am 2 jean sizes smaller than when I started last summer. I still APPEAR to have a big butt and thighs, b/c they are still bigger than my top.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is going to help you not "look flabby" as you put it, is to lose more fat. You can do a slow recomp, but for most people it is far easier to lose fat and then build muscle. While losing fat you should be trying to maintain the muscle you currently have by doing an intelligently designed weight training program. You are not going to build muscle in a deficit or even at maintenance. And you are not going to be able to change the shape of your body without losing fat or gaining muscle.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lose more inches you could recomp, like others have said, using heavy weights - your scale weight would increase though - but no one else sees that :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you really do want to lose inches - you just want to stay curvy and don't care if you're skinny or not. You're basically happy with your shape and want to make it look as good as it can just where you are.

I'm very curvy - was when I was big, was when I was small. Since I went into maintenance, I went from 38, 30, 41 to 38, 28, 39. I look more curvey, I've lost two inches on my waist and hips. I haven't lost a pound.

When you look 'toned' it means you have more muscle and less flabby fat. That usually translates to less bulk for women when you're talking about your abs and bottom. Thighs can go either way, depending on how you exercise. My thighs get a lot of hard, slim muscle, but I don't do the kind of exercises that would make me bulky. And I'm a woman, who have a harder time putting on that kind of bulky muscle.

Bottom line - DON'T WORRY ABOUT LOSING YOUR CURVES! Listen to what people have told you and start exercising. Muscle looks good, is what makes that flab stop being flabby, and is really healthy for you.
  • Eleonora91
    Options
    I'm guessing that you really do want to lose inches - you just want to stay curvy and don't care if you're skinny or not. You're basically happy with your shape and want to make it look as good as it can just where you are.

I'm very curvy - was when I was big, was when I was small. Since I went into maintenance, I went from 38, 30, 41 to 38, 28, 39. I look more curvey, I've lost two inches on my waist and hips. I haven't lost a pound.

When you look 'toned' it means you have more muscle and less flabby fat. That usually translates to less bulk for women when you're talking about your abs and bottom. Thighs can go either way, depending on how you exercise. My thighs get a lot of hard, slim muscle, but I don't do the kind of exercises that would make me bulky. And I'm a woman, who have a harder time putting on that kind of bulky muscle.

Bottom line - DON'T WORRY ABOUT LOSING YOUR CURVES! Listen to what people have told you and start exercising. Muscle looks good, is what makes that flab stop being flabby, and is really healthy for you.

Thank you :) I feel like I am not interested in losing more inches or weight just because I think that's not the point anymore... even though during these years I have lost several kgs and inches overall, my "problem" didn't go away that's why I guess I need to focus on strenght training right now. I already can see good results on my arms, and calves, and even my tummy looks much better... I guess it just needs more time to notice the same results on my thighs and butt since that's where I hold most of my extra kgs. I think we're almost in the same position (if not exactly the same), thank you for your advice :) and thanks everyone else, most of you speak so much sense, just another question - some of you refer to this "recomposition" (am I right?), would this be achievable by working alone or do I need some serious help from a trainer? I've always been dieting & exercising by myself even though it took time to get here :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you can't really lose fat without losing inches... its unlikely that you could build enough muscle to just replace the fat... i dont see whats wrong with losing inches when its fat though?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights totally changed the appearance of my body. I didn't lose any more weight but my body became the shape I had always dreamed of. Added bonus, I was super strong. Need to move some furniture, no problem. Need to carry heavy things up 3 flights of stairs, no problem. Never underestimate the importance of strong muscles and bones, especially as you grow older.

I did this by completing the "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" program. There are other structured programs to choose from and groups here on MFP that can provide support.

My advice is to start lifting HEAVY!
  • Eleonora91
    Options
    you can't really lose fat without losing inches... its unlikely that you could build enough muscle to just replace the fat... i dont see whats wrong with losing inches when its fat though?

Because I'm just satisfied with my body right now, even though it's not small. I don't want it to get smaller, it could be easy to do that since that's what I've been doing during the last 2 years on MFP. I just want it to look "better" which is something that hasn't happened yet even after losing several kgs and inches.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need a trainer - just a good programme. There are literally hundreds though, you just need to find one and stick ti it for a while to see if you like it and the results.

I've loved starting strength, wendlers and strong curves, personally.
  • Eleonora91
    Options
    No, you don't need a trainer - just a good programme. There are literally hundreds though, you just need to find one and stick ti it for a while to see if you like it and the results.

I've loved starting strength, wendlers and strong curves, personally.

Thank you, now I've at least got an idea to start from ;)
    Lifting heavy weights totally changed the appearance of my body. I didn't lose any more weight but my body became the shape I had always dreamed of. Added bonus, I was super strong. Need to move some furniture, no problem. Need to carry heavy things up 3 flights of stairs, no problem. Never underestimate the importance of strong muscles and bones, especially as you grow older.

I did this by completing the "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" program. There are other structured programs to choose from and groups here on MFP that can provide support.

My advice is to start lifting HEAVY!

This seems even way too beautiful to actually happen to me lol... many congrats to you! I really hope I can get as strong as you :P
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, lift weights, then lift weights. Also do some cardio because moderate cardio gives better results.

To stay the same size overall, or to put on a little size then cut it off (which gives the best results), eat at slightly over maintenance and lift heavy with progressive loading. Or eat a little more than slightly over maintenance, lift heavy weights, then cut. The bulk-cut gives the best results because it gives you the best opportunity to put on muscle. Most women don't want to take this route, particularly after working so hard to lose weight. But if you work hard, it gives the best results by far. Even a lean or clean bulk (100-200 over maintenance) gives better results.

To stay the same weight and very slowly recomp, eat the same and lift heavy weights over a period of years. But you will lose inches (most likely centimeters). This route will take you a very long time.

Or eat at a slight deficit and cut the fat off to reveal the muscle you have. You'll get smaller, but if you have a good amount of muscle already, this is a great program. It fails if you don't have enough muscle, though. You'd need to get much smaller than I think you would want to reveal the muscle if you don't have a good bit of muscle on you already.

ETA: Protein! Make sure you're getting enough. Aim for 100-120+ grams a day.
  • Eleonora91
    Options
    Lift weights, lift weights, then lift weights. Also do some cardio because moderate cardio gives better results.

To stay the same size overall, or to put on a little size then cut it off (which gives the best results), eat at slightly over maintenance and lift heavy with progressive loading. Or eat a little more than slightly over maintenance, lift heavy weights, then cut. The bulk-cut gives the best results because it gives you the best opportunity to put on muscle. Most women don't want to take this route, particularly after working so hard to lose weight. But if you work hard, it gives the best results by far. Even a lean or clean bulk (100-200 over maintenance) gives better results.

To stay the same weight and very slowly recomp, eat the same and lift heavy weights over a period of years. But you will lose inches (most likely centimeters). This route will take you a very long time.

Or eat at a slight deficit and cut the fat off to reveal the muscle you have. You'll get smaller, but if you have a good amount of muscle already, this is a great program. It fails if you don't have enough muscle, though. You'd need to get much smaller than I think you would want to reveal the muscle if you don't have a good bit of muscle on you already.

Wow... very clear and well explained. Thank you! I think I really need to work on my proteins then... are you sure about the amount? Is there any way I can calculate my suggested protein intake basing on my weight and height? :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Because I'm just satisfied with my body right now, even though it's not small. I don't want it to get smaller, it could be easy to do that since that's what I've been doing during the last 2 years on MFP. I just want it to look "better" which is something that hasn't happened yet even after losing several kgs and inches.

Ok, now I am confused...you are "satisfied" with your body but you have "problem areas" and you want to "tone" up ..the only way to do this is through losing body fat which will make you drop inches....you can't just magically re-arrange your body without changing anything.

That would be like me saying I want to add muscle but I do not want to eat any more...you can't have one without the other...

I am starting to sense a troll in the force...
  • ndj1979
    Options

this is great advice...except OP wants no changes in her body...:)