Need help setting my macros!

Options
I am struggling a bit with my macros. I thought that the recommended MFP macros seemed way too high in carbohydrates and not enough protein.

I want to maximize my weight loss and I'm struggling with the idea of a low carbohydrate diet. My SIL has been on one for decades and it worked and she looks great, but I'm not sure if I can do it long term. I'm wondering if I should try it short term to boost loss and if it would stay off when I increased my carbs.

What is the best mix of carbs, protein and fat? What are your targets and do you ever change it to shock your body? I saw a posting last night where the OP talked about carb loading. Has anyone tried this to lose weight?

Help! I'm so confused. I'm still logging everything. Just need to know if I'm eating the right things!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I know I lose weight eating at a deficit. That is how I lost the first 26. But there are a lot of people on this site that think you need to eat a high protein diet to lose weight and gain muscle. I've read the guide to sexy pants and it is very helpful, but not the only info on here. I'm just trying to figure out how to lose the next 26 which has turned out to be a lot harder.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, and it will take trial & error to find what works for you.

If you ask 100 MFPers about macros, you'll get 100 different answers.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    That is true enough. Thanks for the reality check! :)

I'll just keep working on my deficit and quit worrying about all the crap.

:smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is a good starting point, then you can tweek it based of your individual needs.