Those who eat 1,500 (or more) calories per day, come hither!

Options
Do you eat your excercise calories back? When I was eating 1,300 calories a day I ate maybe 1/2 of my exercise calories back but now that I upped my calories I am not sure what I should do to lose weight. Help! Thanks!!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat on average 1700 a day..but I use TDEE method not NEAT so my exercise calories are already included in my 1600-1700.

Prior to moving to TDEE method I ate my exercise calories back tho...
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I did TDEE method my daily goal was 1500-1600/day and I did NOT eat back exercise calories because they are already included in that number. Whether you eat back those calories or not depends on your stats -- what is your TDEE, etc.

Personally I wouldn't, but that's just me. I dropped my calories to 1200 again because I stopped losing at 1500.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    What do those letters mean? NEAT ? TDEE?

Sometimes if I eat my exercise calories back I don't exactly feel good the next day. I have tried the 1200 calories per day because I sit at a desk all day. But I am better with 1500 because I am not sneaking snacks in between....
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Im on 1700 a day also TDEE - most days I dont eat them back. I do occasionllay eat some back - if Im hungry, but just tend to stick to the 1700 limit:)
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm currently maintaining on about 2200 net which means I usually eat more than that because I do eat almost all my exercise calories back. When I was losing I was netting anywhere from 1700-1900 per day.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your excercise calories back? When I was eating 1,300 calories a day I ate maybe 1/2 of my exercise calories back but now that I upped my calories I am not sure what I should do to lose weight. Help! Thanks!!

I eat on average 1800-2000 per day, and I only burn about 150-300 exercise calories per day. Sometimes I eat them back, sometimes I don't. I'm in maintenance.

A little clarification would help with your question. Why did you up your calories if you still want to lose weight?
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My TDEE - 20% is 1,699. What happens if I eat according to my TDEE and I don't work out one week as much as I indicated when I calculated that number?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    What do those letters mean? NEAT ? TDEE?

Sometimes if I eat my exercise calories back I don't exactly feel good the next day. I have tried the 1200 calories per day because I sit at a desk all day. But I am better with 1500 because I am not sneaking snacks in between....

TDEE=Total Daily energy expenditure.
    NEAT = Non-exercise activity thermogenesis

It's just two different methods of deciding on how many calories to take in.

TDEE already has exercise calories included so you don't eat them back...ever
    NEAT is just your regular daily activity minus exercise so you eat your exercise calories back (or at least a portion.)
  • SGreen134
    Options
    I upped my calories because I was miserable eating 1300 calories. I try to get cardio in 3-4 times a week and I also do Les Mills Body Pump twice a week.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    My TDEE - 20% is 1,699. What happens if I eat according to my TDEE and I don't work out one week as much as I indicated when I calculated that number?

You wont lose as much weight. TDEE is more appropriate if you are consistent with your exercise but that's not saying you can't use it. TDEE-20% typically works out to be the calories given by MFP+exercise calories

I only use TDEE because I lift weights and it's hard to calculate calories burned doing that...as well I am consistent with my exercise.

I lift 3x a week....period..no room for discussion.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    nm
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Personally, I would use this and select how many times a week you work out and what your weight loss/gain/maintain goal is and just eat that everyday and don't mess around with exercise calories, which are just an estimate anyways.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

So for example, I am 26, Female, 5'6, 130 and I selected 5x weekly workouts. So if I want to do a 15% calorie cut I would eat 1675 daily, 1971 to maintain or 2168 to bulk. If I select no workouts it says 1374 to lose.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If your workouts aren't regular use the MFP calories and eat back.

If your workouts are regular use TDEE and don't eat back.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I am consuming an average of 1700 calories a day to lose ~0.5#/week. I don't "eat back" calories because I based this number on my TDEE not my BMR.
  • SGreen134
    Options
    It sounds like TDEE and bring consistent with working out is the way to go, huh? :happy: Okay, I will give it a try. Thank you!!!!!
  • Serena272
    Serena272 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump