Do you account for daily tasks that burn calories?

While browsing the exercise database I noticed things like house cleaning, gardening, fishing, etc. The only thing I log is the actual work I do at the gym and I eat back most of those calories and feel great. Just curious if anyone else logs other activities other than your intentional exercise.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I do it your way. All those activities are part of one's activity level. Exercise = workouts.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Only if it's something like splitting logs, shoveling snow, or some other very heavy activity. Otherwise, no that's just life.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Sometimes. For example I count "gardening" if I'm preparing garden beds, because it's a frick of a lot of hard manual labor and it's outside what I would normally do. But I don't count "gardening" if I'm weeding or planting or watering.

edit to add: And I will count cleaning if I'm doing a deep, heavy clean and moving appliances and furniture, but not if i'm squirting Fantistik on the stove and wiping it up.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    I let the FitBit figure all that out for me.
  • The lower the variable the better the results in my opinion. Exercise is fairly quantifiable but is working in the garden? Of course in just starting a diet I realize there is some rough justice in determining numbers (counting calories) anyway.

Perhaps you can think of it this way - if you don't include it but still meet your daily goals you are ahead of the game perhaps. Myfitnesspal also starts by asking what your lifestyle is like to begin with which takes into consideration moderate activity throughout the day.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    I don't count normal daily tasks, only workouts. I have always thought that was taken into account by MFP when they calculate your daily calories allowed. Good luck!
  • redchevy54
    redchevy54 Posts: 42 Member
    Under Settings and then fitness profile I have selected sedentary with the thought that I can add things that I do that are above and beyond that level of activity. I still do not count things like cleaning the house or cooking, as I feel that these are what I have done all along without results. I would advise against counting this type of everyday activity if you have selected a higher level of activity on your fitness profile.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,507 Member
    I only log daily activivity on MFP if I'm not weating my fitbit.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Sometimes. For example I count "gardening" if I'm preparing garden beds, because it's a frick of a lot of hard manual labor and it's outside what I would normally do. But I don't count "gardening" if I'm weeding or planting or watering.

edit to add: And I will count cleaning if I'm doing a deep, heavy clean and moving appliances and furniture, but not if i'm squirting Fantistik on the stove and wiping it up.

Same. I only log my gardening when I've spent hours in the hot sun turning the beds and planting. I also log push mowing, we have a pretty big yard. I don't bother with house cleaning as my heart rate doesn't really elevate that much from it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    I consider things like cleaning and laundry to be part of life and don't count any calorie burn for those activities - the only exercise that I count is on the elliptical at home, riding the bike path on the weekends and what I do at the gym.

I suppose if I were to dig up the yard to make a garden or some other such heavy yard work I might be tempted to count that but I haven;t done any of that lately so I don't know...
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    I don't have a gym membership so any exercise that I can "feel", I log.
    I don't count tidying up but on the weekend I spent over 3 hours cleaning & scrubbing. My body ached like I had went to the gym so I logged it.
    I think its a personal thing. If you are fairly active, I would say logging cooking and cleaning isn't necessary. But for someone less active, like myself, I log whatever is outside my normal daily activity.
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    I don't log anything that I've been doing my whole life. I got fat and stayed fat doing those things. They don't count in my book.
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    I don't log anything that I've been doing my whole life. I got fat and stayed fat doing those things. They don't count in my book.

LOL This!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Same. I only log my gardening when I've spent hours in the hot sun turning the beds and planting. I also log push mowing, we have a pretty big yard. I don't bother with house cleaning as my heart rate doesn't really elevate that much from it.

This...in the spring when I am getting my flower beds and garden ready I count it.

This is not part of my normal routine and takes days to complete. From tilling, to turning soil manually to shovelling mulch into a wheel barrel to shovelling it out raises my heart rate and gives me a better sweat than most cardio I do.

As well in the fall when I am cleaning up my beds and moving lawn furniture back into the garage etc I count that as well...shovelling not so much...throwing wood in friggen right.

What I don't log is cleaning of any sort...even spring/fall cleaning where I am washing walls etc (I use a swifer so it's not that hard) even if I do break a sweat...
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    I don't count normal daily chores - cleaning, laundry, etc. However I do log it if it is out of normal. Scooping snow, raking leaves for hours, (not a typical day mowing every week tho) Major yard clean up - yes, normal stuff no. Same with household stuff. wiping counters and running a vaccuum - no - moving furniture and climbing the ladder to clean ceiling fans, and extensive spring cleaning - I log a portion of it. Other stuff - like painting, or remodel stuff - I log depending on how much work it was.

I guess I look at it this way - If it took EXTRA effort than a normal day - it's worth logging (not necessarily eating it all back tho)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    No. I log only dedicated workouts. Everything else is normal daily activity.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    I only track those if it's something like heavy gardening or yard work or shoveling snow. If I am out and about all day long doing a lot of walking around I track my steps / calories burned. Otherwise I only track my dedicated work outs for calories burned. I have my setting on highly active because I work out twice a day seven days a week and although I have an office job, I am on my feet moving around about 70 % of my day vs. sitting at a desk. I have tracked very small amounts at times like sometimes in the morning I'll do a quick three minutes of sit ups or a quick three to five minutes of jump rope, that's about 20 to 30 calories and not something I do every morning so I figured it's small but counts toward something.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    While browsing the exercise database I noticed things like house cleaning, gardening, fishing, etc. The only thing I log is the actual work I do at the gym and I eat back most of those calories and feel great. Just curious if anyone else logs other activities other than your intentional exercise.
    All physical tasks burn calories. It's just that some are very insignificant when it comes to calorie burning effort. If washing dishes was significant enough to offset a candy bar, then count it. But burning 8.16 calories for 10 minutes of dish washing isn't something I'd call significant. It's about the same burn as sitting on the couch flipping the remote.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member

^^This^^

If it's outside my normal daily activity, I count it.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    I just log workouts...now if I help someone move or do some other strenuous activity for an hour or more I maybe budget an extra 100 calories or so for that day.