hysterectomy and losing weight

marie111
marie111 Posts: 91 Member
hi everyone can u help with setting to lose weight while very inactive im recoverying after a hysterectomy and dont want to put weight on and would like to try and lose weight can anybody suggest what i should have my setting at to lose weight while not being able to do any excercise ie carbs proteins fat sugar and so on many thanks

Replies

• healthyplans
    healthyplans Posts: 134 Member
    I do not have suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I too have had a hysterectomy. Because of the size of the fibroid tumors (which is why I had to have it in the first place), I had to be cut open like a C-section. I did heal just fine and I hope you do too. Good luck.
  • cktb4him
    cktb4him Posts: 56
    After my hysterectomy, I focused alot on healthy foods to promote healing. Whole grains will keep things moving and not allow alot of pressure on your sutures internally and externally. Gently walks increasing a little at a time- to the mailbox and back, parking further from stores as your body allows, and starting 5 minutes walks and then gradually increasing over several weeks and days.

Lots of water to keep hydrated and really focus on whole foods. Reduce your caloric intake to just above your BMR to allow your body additional calories for healing from surgery. Stay away from refined and processed foods because they promote inflammation and can hinder your healing and weight loss progress.

Most of all remember that you may not lose alot initially because your body is healing. I think around month 6 post op I was finally feeling much more like myself and back to walking 30 mins a day and stretching and was able to really focus more on restricting calories to compensate for any gains prior to surgery and after.

The biggest thing I can think of is take it slow and take care of yourself- it was major surgery and your body needs time to adjust and heal! Be kind to yourself!! :flowerforyou:
  • Ive read that eating clean is 80% of all weight loss. While you are necessarily limited on the amount of activity you can currently do I would probably focus on eating right. When I first started I stuck to Protein and veggies. Chicken Breast/Talapia/Lean Red Meats and a whole bunch of Steamer Veggie Bags. make sure to track your meals and get a good count of exactly how many calories you are consuming. Eat good while you are recovering and once you start feeling better start to incorporate a little bit of exercise. At least you already have the eating part down. Hope this helps.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Continue eating at a deficit (diet for weight loss, exercise for health).

I started slowly walking around the yard after a week post-op, and gradually increased my activity level as I was able. Your body will most assuredly tell you when enough is enough. :flowerforyou: Wishing you a speedy recovery.

ETA: To clarify, I wasn't cut across my abdomen, so that makes a huge difference in recovery, from what I have been told.
  • I was 24 when I had mine, so my recovery could have been different and I had two young children at home I still needed to tend to.

I did a fair amount of walking after the first week, the first week recovery was dismal but then my energy picked up. Listen to your body, even with walking you can do too much.

Get plenty of water first and for most. Try to not restrict calories too much, as you need proteins and healthy fats for healing. Even once your incision appears healed over, you are still healing inside. If you do choose to restrict calories, then I would start with portion sizes and then focus on proteins and healthy fats and decrease carbs.

Best wishes with your healing process!
  • marie111
    thanks everyone so i think the key is at the moment is to just eat healthy and walk gently many thanks to everyone
  • Right, I think you have it. I started walking some after the first week, but mine was done as a laparoscopy. I was really out of shape and started out just walking slowly for 15-20 minutes and built up. I am so glad I had one! Praise Jesus! No PMS! Sorry started to get on a ramble there.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,297 Member
    I am 55 and a little over 3 weeks post-op from a complete abdominal hysterectomy. My nurse told me that my calorie goal should be around 1500 calories. I am walking, just around my house, up to 20 minutes at a time, three times a day. Started out at 5 minutes…. (shortly after getting home from the hospital.) I usually wear a belly-binder to support my middle. Good luck! Friend me if you'd like.
  • 24marg
    24marg Posts: 4 Member
    I had a hysterectomy almost 2 years ago.
    The first thing I would recommend is be kind to your self. Some days will be better then others listen to your body.
    2.If you can take walks out side for fresh air and sunlight do. Nothing to intense or you will pay for it later.
    3 If you are in the beginning stages of healing it is not the time for weight loss the most important thing is eating for health make the food you eat be full of nutrition after 6-8 weeks then switch to weight loss.
    I wish I would have done this I tried to do to much to fast and it took me much longer to heal
  • marie111
    thankyou for your support have read all your posts and really appreciate the support i completley agree with health rather than weight loss at the moment but secretly hopeing a few pounds off in the process lol thanks again everyone marie x
  • kkmalay
    kkmalay Posts: 88 Member
    I hope you are recovering well. I havent exercised at all in the 5months ive been on here and have lost over 20lbs, slowly but surely, Have 2 little ones etc. Set my cals around 1400-1500 and that seems to work for me. All the best