a breathing compromised work out

Options
I have a mean, phlegmy, gross cold compounded with asthma. But I want to work out. I have weights at my house, I have no intention on sharing my plague with society. But how do I work on cardio without going out side? Run in place? Run up and down the single flight of stairs?

Yes I know I should take it easy. I just want to work up a nice sweat to help move this crap along through my system.

I would love to hear suggestions, comments, concerns, brain teasers, riddles, ect. Honestly I am just sick of being sick and dont want to fall into a rut of lounging around in bed all day. :drinker: Cheers to all

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    do some burpees that'll fix you right up.

That being said there is no way I would be doing cardio though with a chest type cold- that's just not a good idea.
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    do some burpees that'll fix you right up.

That being said there is no way I would be doing cardio though with a chest type cold- that's just not a good idea.

I know. Honestly I will probably do one and then be dead for the rest of the day. But thinking about working out has to count for something.... right? :laugh:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Remember the below the throat rule - any symptoms below the throat (chesty cough, temperature, aches and pains) and you should rest completely. Attempting otherwise will make your symptoms last far, far longer.

To relieve the symptoms, inhale steam form a bowl of hot water with a towel over your head. Add Vicks or other vapour-type cold relief to the water if you want. Drink chicken soup - it's medically proven to relieve congestion and at as an anti-inflammatory.

Use your asthma inhaler when you need it, don't do what I used to and keep it for "when you really need it".

Feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Try taking it easy and resting so you can feel better. That being said, go on YouTube and look up Walking in Place workouts. They're low impact and will probably be great for you.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've heard that light cardio can actually speed recover from illnesses like the cold and flu (and hangovers for that matter, but I digress). This has always been true for me but whether it's just placebo effect or actually some physiological effect, I'm not sure. I'd just say wait until you don't have a fever and then start off slow and make sure you are hydrated and have plenty of water on hand.
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ladies and Gents, you have all been amazingly informative and supportive. I appreciate it immensely.:happy: :smooched:

I have been resting for 2 days now and I'm getting cabin fever fueled energy I tend to have when sick. :ohwell: People used to say I was the healthiest sick person you'll ever meet. I had pneumonia as a kid and was asking my mom to go play outside.Of course she said no:grumble: I really don't know how to take it easy I guess. I feel my diagnoses of ADHD plays a part in that.:laugh:

My plan is to clean the room, watch all the seasons of breaking bad on netflix, eat my made from scratch chicken noodle soup, and stay on here to keep myself from going bonkers:wink: Maybe move my weights around :laugh:

I thank you all, and hope more people comment on here.:drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    when I'm feeling particularly grody from being locked at home- I do some squats (body weight only) and then some push ups- or I go for a walk- even just down the block.

Feels so much better to get out- also I open windows... and I work on sewing projects- helps me keep my mind of the fact that a.) I feel like *kitten* and b.) I haven't worked out in forever LOL

Feel better!