Workout routine for beginner?

Options
I promised myself that when I hit 10 kg lost through IIFYM and cardio, I'd start doing some mixed cardio/resistance workouts. I'm pleased to say that's rapidly approaching!! (I'll also be moving away from 'aggressive' weight loss at the same time. I feel I could do with a few hundred extra kcal per day, especially with a new exercise routine.)

I'm a 42-year-old male, 5'10" and 91kg (201lb). I currently do two 2.5-3 mile runs per day, six days a week. (This is to fit around work and family commitments.) Ideally, I'd like a 30-minute minimal-equipment-needed routine to take up one of these slots, while I continue to run in the other one.

So far, I've looked at the FitnessBlender "4-week workout for busy people" and also thought about borrowing my wife's 30-Day Shred DVD.

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with either of these, or care to suggest something different? Thanks for your advice! :smile:

Replies

• kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I really like the C25K program for a start for cardio I do the C210K which would probably a good place for you to start since you are already running, and you could do Stronglifts or New Rules for weight.

Edit to add; I have heard great things about the 30 day shred.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If you're after minimal equipment workouts, maybe look into You Are Your Own Gym or P90X.

You're running a LOT right now - be aware that when you start doing resistance training you're going to need a little more recovery or your legs are going to hate you. Get a foam roller... It will be your best friend.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

You won't have any questions about how to lift for the next 2 or more years.
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll order a foam roller, and looks like I've got some research to do this weekend to pick a routine to follow!
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Having read about them all, I think I'll be ordering the YAYOG DVD set. Thanks so much -- I hadn't heard of them before!