a bit frustrated...

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to .5 lb a week. The last 10 lbs are always the hardest. You may want to start also doing some strength training. Also make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body.

I'm going to try this. It's going to be hard-my whole life I've thought:
    eating less, feeling hungry = lose weight

I do some strength training. I'm working on JM 30 DS right now and when I'm done that I might try Ripped in 30 Days.

Yeah, all you ever hear is eat less and move move - which drives me insane. It's okay at first, but then there is a turning point. When after losing weight and getting the closer to your goal, with tougher workouts it's actually the eat more, move more.

Your car can't go far on no gas, neither can your body.

Strength training - I was thinking more like lifting heavy things. You won't bulk up if you're eating at a deficit. But it'll help tone as you lose.

I must say that I disagree with this statement. You cannot out run the fork. If you were trying to bulk this might make sense, but if you are strictly trying to be more lean then eating at a deficit and doing cardio is the fastest way to get there. Lifting will maintain your current muscle and might add some depending on your fitness level so it is probably a good idea to mix that in. But I suggest checking your measurement system and reassessing the amount of time your goals are going to take.

Eating a REASONABLE deficit for the amount of weight you need to lose to preserve lean body mass.

Someone with 10 pounds to lose who chooses "lose 2 pounds per week" and also exercises, not reasonable.
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    Set your goal to .5 lb a week. The last 10 lbs are always the hardest. You may want to start also doing some strength training. Also make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body.

I do some strength training. I'm working on JM 30 DS right now and when I'm done that I might try Ripped in 30 Days.

Yeah, all you ever hear is eat less and move move - which drives me insane. It's okay at first, but then there is a turning point. When after losing weight and getting the closer to your goal, with tougher workouts it's actually the eat more, move more.

Strength training - I was thinking more like lifting heavy things. You won't bulk up if you're eating at a deficit. But it'll help tone as you lose.

I must say that I disagree with this statement. You cannot out run the fork. If you were trying to bulk this might make sense, but if you are strictly trying to be more lean then eating at a deficit and doing cardio is the fastest way to get there. Lifting will maintain your current muscle and might add some depending on your fitness level so it is probably a good idea to mix that in. But I suggest checking your measurement system and reassessing the amount of time your goals are going to take.

Eating a REASONABLE deficit for the amount of weight you need to lose to preserve lean body mass.

Someone with 10 pounds to lose who chooses "lose 2 pounds per week" and also exercises, not reasonable.
    Of course the deficit has to be reasonable, otherwise it is unsustainable and you'd beinge and ruin the deficit anyway.
    And I agree that she has to reassess how long she thinks this is going to take.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I must say that I disagree with this statement. You cannot out run the fork. If you were trying to bulk this might make sense, but if you are strictly trying to be more lean then eating at a deficit and doing cardio is the fastest way to get there. Lifting will maintain your lean muscle and might add some depending on your fitness level so it is probably a good idea to mix that in. But I suggest checking your measurement system and reassessing the amount of time your goals are going to take.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

Why?

You can't bulk if you are eating at a deficit.
  • nikky731
    nikky731 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So I guess I should really focus on trying to reach my goal by the end of July. Gosh that's hard.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE FOOD
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So I guess I should really focus on trying to reach my goal by the end of July. Gosh that's hard.
    you shouldn't put any time restrictions on it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Yes, you may want to look into eating more food also. I'm eating 1800 calories a day working out 5 days a week at least and losing weight. I do kickboxing and running.

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • noyoyo122
    noyoyo122 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd keep at it as you have been going. I believe you are building muscle mass which weighs more than fat and as time moves on you WILL start to lose the weight. Do you feel better overall? Mood better? Clothes fitting better? Then you have big wins already. Just keep at it.

And, yes, I'm going to say it...being over 40 makes a difference and we have to work harder and make this more about lifestyle changes than temporary diet fixes. (I'm saying that more as a boost for myself as well!) :bigsmile:
  • Lld320
    Options

I must say that I disagree with this statement. You cannot out run the fork. If you were trying to bulk this might make sense, but if you are strictly trying to be more lean then eating at a deficit and doing cardio is the fastest way to get there. Lifting will maintain your lean muscle and might add some depending on your fitness level so it is probably a good idea to mix that in. But I suggest checking your measurement system and reassessing the amount of time your goals are going to take.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

Why?

You can't bulk if you are eating at a deficit.
    I must have missed the part where she said she wanted to bulk.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Focus on body recomposition, the weight won't matter.
  • Lld320
    Options
    Yes, you may want to look into eating more food also. I'm eating 1800 calories a day working out 5 days a week at least and losing weight. I do kickboxing and running.

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

You are going to get different results based on how you train. I am telling you that if you want to just lose weight then you need to buy a good food scale, track your calories better and reduce your net (more cardio or less cals) if you still do not like the results you are getting (get more realistic with what your results are gonna be). I suggest waiting 3-4 weeks before changing intake one way or the other so your body has time to adjust, MFP works on a 24 hour basis your body does not.

If you follow suggestions to eat more and weight gain you will get different results. Not necessarily worse. Just different. I am not here to tell you how your body should look, I'm just telling you how to get there. You might be like this girl if you let other people project a body image onto you:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1213558-overweight-because-of-fitness-program
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Read this...

You are going to get different results based on how you train. I am telling you that if you want to just lose weight then you need to buy a good food scale, track your calories better and reduce your net (more cardio or less cals) if you still do not like the results you are getting (get more realistic with what your results are gonna be). I suggest waiting 3-4 weeks before changing intake one way or the other so your body has time to adjust, MFP works on a 24 hour basis your body does not.

If you follow suggestions to eat more and weight gain you will get different results. Not necessarily worse. Just different. I am not here to tell you how your body should look, I'm just telling you how to get there. You might be like this girl if you let other people project a body image onto you:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1213558-overweight-because-of-fitness-program

I wasn't telling her to eat 1800 calories. I'm suggesting she figure out how much she should eat based on her own statistics.

No one's suggestion was to eat more and weight gain. Not sure where you're getting that from.

And she didn't say she wanted to bulk YOU said she would in your statement of disagreeing. You cannot bulk up if you are eating at a deficit.

I have friends on here who follow the TDEE method, strength train, and do cardio, and have lost 100+ lbs and they didn't bulk up by losing weight. They eat a good amount of food and still lose weight. Oh my, mind blowing I know.

ETA: Oh and I wasn't projecting ANYTHING onto her. I'm providing her with info and links that may be helpful. You might actually want to take a look at them and read them before you just go off dismissing things.