Trying again... the RIGHT way

Options
Hi everyone,
My name is Jenn and I'm no stranger to weight loss. I have been heavy all of my life, and during my freshman year of college (in January 2006) I decided that I was finally going to lose weight and go all the way. Well, in October 2008 I finally reached my goal, and lost 48% of my body weight... only to gain back all but 12 pounds of it. So here I am now.
I did the weight watchers program back then, but I didn't do it the right way. I wasn't exercising as much as I should have been, I was eating way below my allowed points for the day at times (sometimes only 1/2) and I was eating more "healthy" junk food than REAL food. I think that's a contributing factor to why I gained back all of my weight so quickly. I didn't learn good nutrition and the importance of eating the right amount.
I have tried again many times over the last few years to lose the weight again (MFP, loseit, weightwatchers, atkins) and I can't seem to stick with anything. Call it a lack of motivation?
Well, 4 weeks ago I took a nasty fall on some ice and tore my ACL and meniscus in my right knee, which I only found out for sure about a week ago. It has been very difficult to get around - the pain is bad and the lack of mobility in the knee is very frustrating. I made a decision then and there that I absolutely NEED to lose this weight again and keep it off if I ever want to have a normal life with this knee again. This was re-affirmed after a visit with my orthopedic doctor yesterday who told me that he thinks I can get by without surgical repair and just a lot of intense physical therapy, but that even if I did need surgery I would never be a surgical candidate at my current weight, and that my best chance of making a strong recovery with as few flare-ups down the road as possible is to lose the weight.
I have been working hard for the last week and a half, and I'm already feeling a ton better. I have been doing my stationary bike every day and eating healthy, well-balanced meals. I'm hoping that my health is enough motivation for me to stick with it this time! But in the meantime, I can use all the support I can get :)

Replies

• pickered
    pickered Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi Jenn,

Congratulations on your good choices. There are plenty of folks here with similiar experiences and the knowledge to power thru to goals smartly and safely. Keep posting to keep yourself accountable and share your journey
  • Antonia2501
    Antonia2501 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello :) Way to go on wanting to do it the right way. I am in the same boat in many ways, always been heavy, been up and down with my weight, and now at my highest. When I lost the large amount of weight last time I was not eating enough and was on illegal diet pills. Not a good way to lose the weight. But I have been trying again and its been hard this time around for some reason, I just cannot control my eating like I want to. Hopefully we can support one another Please add me if you would like and I will try and help you along the way.
  • wairam
    wairam Posts: 3
    Options
    We all fall down. Strength is choosing to get back up! Keep up the good work! If you need some motivation, check out my story! I weighed 270lbs when I was 15. I've lost over 125 lbs since then and have been working to inspire others!