Calling all Catholics -- What are you giving up?

Options
Hello!

I am still deciding what I am going to give up for lent. I want to make it related to my diet plan so it gives me another reason to hold myself accountable!

What are you giving up? :drinker:

Replies

• Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Normally I would give up meat and chocolate but I need the protein. I can do without chocolate though
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Nothing!
    Because I have got a balanced eating plan and allow things in moderation I could never give up anything completely apart from the rubbish I already gave up (processed biscuits, cakes, sweets etc). I allow myself a teensy bit of chocolate each day.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    This Presbyterian is going to pray while walking her dog that God will change my heart toward those who drive me to distraction.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Nothing!
    Because I have got a balanced eating plan and allow things in moderation I could never give up anything completely apart from the rubbish I already gave up (processed biscuits, cakes, sweets etc). I allow myself a teensy bit of chocolate each day.

That is kind of how I feel...

I gave up a lot when I started this journey. There has got to be something I can do though ... hmmm ....
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering Catholic, but when I was practicing I gave up some of my time every year, and volunteered somewhere.

If the whole point was to consider what Jesus had given up for you, I figured that besides the very obvious way he gave, Jesus gave up all his time to help others. And so, giving up my own time to help others was the best way to honor him. Not giving up foods I enjoy.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any "vices" to really give up anymore , you could always add something in whether it's committing to volunteering somewhere or staying off of Facebook for the 40 days. It doesn't necessarily have to be food related.

I decided to cook every week night. I've gotten lazy lately with this and it adds up ordering out or going through a drive thru.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a Methodist, not a Catholic, but I have some Catholic family members. I don't usually observe Lent, but I decided this morning that I am going to give up picking at my nails and cuticles for Lent. It is my one bad habit and I can't seem to stop doing it!! I will pick until they bleed, which I know is a disgusting habit. I have made so many changes to my diet and exercise over the last 18 months that I figured this is one thing which really needs my attention. I don't eat a lot of sweets or junk and I work out pretty regularly, so giving up anything there is really not a hardship. But I know I'm going to have to be vigilant to stop the picking!!!:heart:
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm Presbyterian. I'm getting up 5 minutes earlier each week is that by the end of lent I'll be up 40 minutes earlier. Should be warmer so I can run in the am. Guess I'm giving up some sleep. I'm not a morning person and already get up at 6:30 for work, so won't be easy but shouldn't be so something easy anyway. If it was I'd give up brussel sprouts:)
  • budjo01
    budjo01 Posts: 1
    Options
    I gave up being Catholic for lent and never looked back. I'm officially a Skeptic from here on out.