Help I don't eat dairy

lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
It seems that everyone's weight loss staple is yogurt, low fat cheese, etc...but I don't eat dairy...at all...I heard about the almond yogurt stuff and I went to look for it in my grocery store (IGA) but it's not there...any suggestions on foods that i can subsitute the dairy for? right now i mix soymilk with my smoothies and take calcium suppliments...

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    I think the soymilk and calcium supplements are good. I don't do dairy either (except for some whey protein in my Shakeology and protein shake). I don't eat yogurt, drink milk, or eat cheese - except for the soy version, but I don't like to have too much soy.

The yogurts and low fat cheeses are nice because they have protein. Focus on your own low fat sources of protein and you will be good.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    You're fine with soy milk and supplements, but definitely make sure you're getting enough protein. There are soy cheeses out there if you really want cheese, but you don't have to have it to be successful. Just build your diet around lean meats and legumes, fruits and veggies and you'll be fine!
  • First of all for everyone that doesn't eat dairy. Please at least take a supplement. I have the first stage of Osteoprosis and I am only 46 years old. I have had 3 fractures in the last year in a half. My mother-in-law had a severe case of Osteoprosis that left her paralized. It is terrible and very painful. So what ever your reason is for not eating dairy find ways of getting enough Calcium and Vitamin D into your diet.
  • Di83
    Di83 Posts: 2
    You should try Whey Protein from Life Source. I'm also lactose intolerant, and this is one of the best protein powders with clean protein energy. It certainly helps :-) http://www.lifesource4life.com/protein.html

Synthesize Vit D by going out in the sun a lot more often too. :-)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Oh maynard46, that's my biggest fear...I'm sorry for your bone density loss, I promise to take my supplements every day. I also take them to prevent a raging case of PMS, they say that calcium deficiency causes bad PMS, and my fiance knows that I can't get any worse or I'll be divorced before I'm married lol
This discussion has been closed.