Building Muscle

Help!! So I have really begun to eat clean and I did a lot of cardio to burn off some fat but now I feel like I am ready to start building muscle to get strong. I want to start weight lifting and doing my macros etc. Where do I go to do research etc on this lifestyle change?

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    You can do a search and find a ton of info in the forums.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    okay. congrats on taking a new step!!!
    A few things:
    1.) Size and strength are not the same thing
    2.) Building muscle (as in size) requires a calorie surplus- meaning you must put on weight- including fat to make this happen
    3.) You can get stronger and get more defined- and not have gotten bulky- you just LOOK more muscular b/c you have more muscle visible- this is not the same thing as actually gaining bulk
    4.) Compound lifts.

So- now that we covered that look up starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting for women or strong curves.

All great options to start compound lifting- this will help build strength and develop more dense muscle. If you are still trying to lose weight- just keep the calorie deficit in there- if you are okay with where you are- eat at a maintenance. If you want SIZE- then you have to eat over (we have a bulking group for ladies here as well if you are interested)

Start with the compound lifting- learn good form- use a broom stick- or PVC pipe- get that down pat before you start piling weights on.
    You may find yourself needing to up the calories a little if you are losing weight- when you start lifting you have newb gains- and in which case we say- LIFT ALL THE THINGS_ EAT ALL THE THINGS!!!

learn to do the lifts
    learn to dump the lifts
    learn to set the equipment up properly.
    learn to ask for help (hey can you give me a spot)
    learn to ask how to work in- or how many sets you have left
    Learn to re-rack your weights!

it's a slow process- getting big takes a really long time and a lot of dedicated focused work- most people can't be bothered- so seriously don't worry about that. :)

Carbs- lifting requires carbs- protein is important- but don't forget your carbs!!!

hopefully that helps.