Student trying 5:2 purely for the weight loss

Options
OllieJAL
OllieJAL Posts: 3 Member
Hi everyone,

Currently just over one week into the new diet - thought I'd try this 5:2 a few people recommended. I'm a 20 year old guy about 5'6" looking to lose 2-3 stone.

I've personalised it somewhat, so whilst i'm a guy I stick to 500 on a fast day where possible (it says 600 if you're a guy) and then don't worry too much if I go over slightly or miscalculate slightly somewhere along the lines. On my feed days, i'm aiming for 1700 calories, but again don't beat myself up if i go over this a bit, considering i'm technically allowed to eat my daily recommended allowance.

I was wondering if the times i eat my 500 calories on my fast days really matter? Being a lazy student I definitely don't get up at 7:30am and eat again at 7:30pm as expounded in the book, usually ends up being closer to 11am by the time i grab breakfast which means I can't eat til 11pm which seems ridiculous! I'm only 20 so i'm not concerned about the other benefits fasting is alleged to bring just yet, but surely my simple calorie restriction is going to have an effect on my weight? I get lightheaded in the evening so eating within a mandated 12 hour gap, whilst maintaining the calorie intake, would help with working late at night.

This past week I ended up doing 4:3 as I was up early, skipped breakfast, then wasn't near food until the evening anyway, and I lost 5lbs (weighed monday morning, then weighed following monday morning). This evokes minor concern as I'm certain the loss is meant to be more around the 1-2lbs mark but nonetheless was chuffed! I'm guessing it will go up again when i weigh myself again on monday, but we shall see.

Started at 167.6lbs (I work in stone, but lbs seem easier to count - so near enough 12 sone), was 163.

Any stories from people working 5:2/4:3 around an erratic sleep / work pattern?

Replies

• adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You should look at this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7953-5-2-fasting. They give a lot of good information and would be able to help you out the best. I know some of them eat lunch and dinner on fast days and stick around their calorie goal for that day (500/600).
  • blinkinflip
    blinkinflip Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, like you I've just started on the 5:2 diet. I don't think it matters what time you eat, breakfast is the first meal of your day within four hours of waking. And people usually lose more weight during the first week of a diet and afterwards it should settle to around 1-2 pounds or more if you have more fat to lose.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Quite a lot of 5:2 people seem to end up eating a decent sized dinner in the evening as their only meal. http://www.fastday.com/
  • malpeli
    malpeli Posts: 3
    Options
    I've done something similar but with the added kick of adding a daily workout. I wanted to lose about 6kg in ten weeks when I started about 5 weeks ago. I had heard about the alternate day fast diet and the seven minute scientific workout and thought they sounded promising so I've tried them in tandem.

So far so good as I've lost 2.8kg in that time. I plan to switch fasting to the 5:2 configuration this coming week. I've even documented my progress in a blog which I highly recommend doing as it has the same effect as a diary with the added pressure of it being public. You can see mine at http://www.faddietfadworkout.wordpress.com

Warning. Although the seven minute scientific workout is ideal for home environments where you don't have expensive gym equipment it is a high intensity workout and should not be performed if you have heart problems or live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. It may only be seven minutes long but they are long, arduous minutes.