could use some advise.......

Options
I have been on MFP for the last 14 months and unfortunately, haven't seen the progress I love to read about that so many post. (no progress measured by the scale, measurements and clothes)

here is where I could use advise....I have slowly increased my calories to the number recommended by the scooby calculator but, I also try to monitor my FitBit guideline and what MFP indicates I should eat.

Based on myFitBit I have averaged 85,000 steps each week (12,150 per day), burn on average 14,208 calories each week and eat an average 11,185 calories (gap of 3,023).

I try to only take 2 rest days each week. On one of my rest days I still try to average 10,000 steps or more. On my workout days I am in the gym 70-90 minutes......I do weights/strength/body weight exercises for 30-40 min and then cardio) I do realize my FB doesn't capture the calories burned during my workout that isn't cardio but, am hoping that helps to make up the difference to 3,500)

My scale has fluctuated up/down the same 4-6 pounds (currently on the upside :( )

Is it that I am just eating too much and not working out as hard as I think I am??

Any thoughts welcome.

48 years old
5'2
155-161
female

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for Fitness.

Calorie Deficit is for Weigh Loss.

If you're not losing weight, then you're not in a calorie deficit. Therefor, yes, you could be eating too much. I took a quick peek at your diary. Your logging looks good, but it looks like you are using measuring cups and spoons. I suggest you invest in a food scale and weigh out your portions, otherwise, you're eating more than you think because measuring cups/spoons are just not as accurate as one would suppose they are.

Weigh your food, and I bet you'll start seeing some change going on.
  • lovinlandl
    lovinlandl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I should have noted I do use a scale and try to log based on oz or kg when possible. I also drink 96+ oz of water each day and I don't drink pop...my other drink is a peach tea crystal light at night.

If 10,000 is the goal and people see results and I am doing 12,000+ average plus additional burn with "circuit" training -- where am I missing it??

I know we are all unique...just so hopeful for a change and don't want to be on the insane list for continuing to do the same thing with no results.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing your food, then there's still an error in the equation. The other part of that being an overestimation of calories burnt during exercise.

So in this case, try eating only 50% of your exercise calories for a few weeks and see if that does it for you. If the scale starts moving, then you know it was because of this and not the former.
  • lovinlandl
    Options
    thoughts?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you are either overestimating your calories, your exercise burns, or both …

If you are weighing/logging everything..then I would suggest only eating half of your exercise calories back and see how that goes…

Also, reexamine your logging..are you using your food scale all the time? Are you logging everything that you eat and drink …It is pretty easy to be off by 100 calories a day which would be an extra 700 calories a week ….
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

If you are weighing/logging everything..then I would suggest only eating half of your exercise calories back and see how that goes…

Also, reexamine your logging..are you using your food scale all the time? Are you logging everything that you eat and drink …It is pretty easy to be off by 100 calories a day which would be an extra 700 calories a week ….

^ This. Also, keep in mind that these calculations are averages and aren't going to hold for all individuals. If you're weighing your food and keeping an accurate log, then you need to slowly cut calories down until you see the progress you need.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

^ This. Also, keep in mind that these calculations are averages and aren't going to hold for all individuals. If you're weighing your food and keeping an accurate log, then you need to slowly cut calories down until you see the progress you need.

As sad as I am to say this (I much prefer telling people to eat more) these guys are right, imo.

Have you been to the doctor just to make sure there are no underlying health issues?
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I realize this is a question and not a suggestion (although I think some of the suggestions made on this thread have been good ones though) - but I have a question about the FitBit: does it breakdown the calories you burn from exercise vs. the calories you burn just in general (i.e. being alive)? You said you're burning 14,208 calories per week, and I'm assuming that's all of your fitness + general calories combined. Seems like it would be hard to figure out what you're doing for exercise in terms of calorie burn if it doesn't break it down for you.
  • lovinlandl
    Options
    When I do the Scooby calculator it tells me to strive for 1800+ in calories......

I will try the decrease and see if that does help. It took so long to change my mentality of eating more but, clearly, not working.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Fitbit (at least mine does) tracks all energy expended (even while sleeping). Weight loss is simple in principle - Energy In = Energy Out. I was clueless just how much energy was in some of the snacks I was eating, make sure you capture everything you eat to bring awareness of where you are spending your calories. Where it gets complicated is the psychology, physiology and biochemistry. The other two areas are - rest well and keep hydrated (your weight may be fluid retention as well).
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I just went through two weeks of your diary. You eat healthy and well, but 1800 calories is just a touch too much. I think it's a combination of over estimating your exercise calories and eating a bit too high. Try cutting back by 200 calories per day and see how you feel. You really aren't very big, so weight loss at your small size is going to be slow. Patience and getting it all dialed in will be key for your last little bit. Truly though, I think you are doing awesome! :drinker:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    When I do the Scooby calculator it tells me to strive for 1800+ in calories......

I will try the decrease and see if that does help. It took so long to change my mentality of eating more but, clearly, not working.

try 1700 and see how that works for you ….
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just went through two weeks of your diary. You eat healthy and well, but 1800 calories is just a touch too much. I think it's a combination of over estimating your exercise calories and eating a bit too high. Try cutting back by 200 calories per day and see how you feel. You really aren't very big, so weight loss at your small size is going to be slow. Patience and getting it all dialed in will be key for your last little bit. Truly though, I think you are doing awesome! :drinker:

Totally agree with this! I'm a similar weight (5' 7" in height) and have been losing weight on an avg. of 1600 cals/day with one free meal per week. You can do it!