Questions for Gastric Sleeve patients 2+ years out...

Options
I have some questions for those who are a year or more out after a Gastric Sleeve surgery and have reached a comfortable level of loss or reached their goal. I was sleeved about 15 months ago and have happily more than exceeded my goal. I am 4 mos into maintaining but I continue to be worried about my calorie intake. After so many years of eating to total excess and then 15 months of eating 1200 or less calories a day - I have some leftover phobias about how much food I should be eating.

Questions: (I know these might seem odd, but these are some questions that I am curious about).

1. Do you feel you can eat more than you did a year after being sleeved? Or do you experience more hunger than a year after being sleeved? I am trying to be careful and not over eat. I do sometimes have days where I am more hungry than other days but I don't want to risk "stretching" out my sleeve - I have heard of this happening.

2. How many calories do you consider your regular "daily" amount & how did you arrive at that number? Do you know the # of calories it takes to gain or lose weight?

3. Do you think the sleeve affects how liquids are absorbed (or not absorbed) by your body? After a lot of data tracking, it seems to me that liquid calories sort of pass right thru? This could be wishful thinking. These are things like low fat latte's and guinness (and more guinness).

4. Do you still avoid drinking before, during or just after eating? If you now drink liquids during or around meals, do you think it has changed anything about the amount or food you can ingest in any way? I still avoid liquids during or around meal time.

5. What sort of supplements do you take on a daily basis? I take 2 multi-vitamins with iron (costco) and Krill oil and magnesium. My primary care doc runs my blood twice a year and all is good so far.

6. Do you still try to achieve high protein levels? We were told before surgery that we needed to always make our first bite protein - meaning keep the protein intake high.

Ok, sorry - geez that's a big list. Really I am just curious what being "sleeved" looks like 2 or more years down the road. I'd like to avoid any problems, pitfalls and the like and really appreciate the input.

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I am just shy of 2 years being sleeved (4/4/12). I never reached what I considered my goal before surgery, but I am happy with where I am & don't feel the need to lose a lot more weight--maybe 15 lbs more just to see if I can get a lower rate on my life insurance. Right now I'm trying to see if that will come off with heavy lifting because I don't really want to cut my food back down to where it needs to be for me to lose.

1. Do you feel you can eat more than you did a year after being sleeved? Or do you experience more hunger than a year after being sleeved? I am trying to be careful and not over eat. I do sometimes have days where I am more hungry than other days but I don't want to risk "stretching" out my sleeve - I have heard of this happening.

I can definitely eat more than I could a year after being sleeved. I also worry about stretching my sleeve back out. Unfortunately, I never really lost my sense of hunger. The sleeve just helped me feel full on a much smaller portion of food. I used to feel full at about a 3/4 cup serving. I can now eat about 1 1/2 cups comfortably. I try not to exceed this amount (in volume) so that I don't progressively stretch my stomach.

2. How many calories do you consider your regular "daily" amount & how did you arrive at that number? Do you know the # of calories it takes to gain or lose weight?

I maintain my weight on around 1400 calories a day. I originally came up with that number by using this calculator:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

When I run my numbers (155 lbs, 42 years old, 62.5" tall, female) it says that I have a BMR of 1420, TDEE of 1704, & I should eat 1363 to lose fat (20% calorie reduction). So I started eating ~1363 and maintained, and maintained, & maintained some more. I went to my nutritionist & she said I should eat 1200 to lose. Through trial & error I found that I lose weight when I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. I have pretty much maintained since August 2013 on 1400. I wish I could eat the 1704 that the calculator gives me, but when I start increasing my calories I gain & that is just not acceptable.

3. Do you think the sleeve affects how liquids are absorbed (or not absorbed) by your body? After a lot of data tracking, it seems to me that liquid calories sort of pass right thru? This could be wishful thinking. These are things like low fat latte's and guinness (and more guinness).

I haven't noticed this, but I don't drink alcohol & if I'm going to drink something like a milkshake I work it into my calories for the day.

4. Do you still avoid drinking before, during or just after eating? If you now drink liquids during or around meals, do you think it has changed anything about the amount or food you can ingest in any way? I still avoid liquids during or around meal time.

I do still follow the 30 minute time frame unless I'm really thirsty. If I'm dying, I will take a couple sips. I have on occasion gulped down water right after a meal because I was pretty thirsty & I did feel uncomfortably full & decided not to do that any more.

5. What sort of supplements do you take on a daily basis? I take 2 multi-vitamins with iron (costco) and Krill oil and magnesium. My primary care doc runs my blood twice a year and all is good so far.

I am supposed to be taking 2 multi-vitamins every day (my dr recommended Flintstones complete for me), calcium citrate, vitamin D, vitamin C, vitamin B-12, & zinc. When I take all those vitamins it makes me nauseous so I take the Flintstones, make certain I meet my calcium needs with food, & feel guilty about the rest.

6. Do you still try to achieve high protein levels? We were told before surgery that we needed to always make our first bite protein - meaning keep the protein intake high.

I do try to meet my protein goals for the day.

Hope this helps!
  • rosenkrantzz
    Options
    Thanks sooo much! It's great to hear how people are living with their sleeves years later!