Banana's fattening?

Options
I keep reading things about banana's being fattening, 0ne of the foods to avoid to get rid of belly fat etc. Does anyone know anything about this? Like is it really that important? I eat probably like 4-5 a week.

Replies

• Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I didnt eat any bananas when I was gaining weight. Now that I am trying to be all healthy I eat one almost every day. And I am not getting fat.

Honest, how can a banana be fattening? Maybe if you ate 200- 300 a day.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    LOL! If you look back at your eating habits as you gained weight, do you really think bananas are the culprit? Enjoy your bananas. :)
  • Jeffs_Jess
    Options
    Bananas are fine.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read. Bananas are not to blame for your weight and are wonderful fruit with lots of fiber, vitamins and even protein. Blame the oversize portions, carbs and sugars in donuts etc.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Too much food is fattening. Bananas are good.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    It's not the bananas that make you fat, it's the Big Gulp of Diet Coke you wash down your banana sundae with...
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    look up the banana girl freelea and durianrider. They're fruitarians and they aren't exactly obese ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Freelea

http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I'll never stop eating bananas! Ever! O.O
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The only thing that gets rid of belly fat is a caloric deficit. Eat less, track it and weight it, move around a little and it will come off :) also, you can't spot reduce fat, it will come off of your body from all over and depending on your genetics, the spot you want to be lean may be the last part to do so. Kinda stinks, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with bananas at all
  • thephilm1
    thephilm1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Each banana has about 14 grams of sugar and 27 carbs. Depending on the type of diet you are on, this could have a big impact.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a great food, and can be eaten on the go, or baked into delicious goodness, or even used in smoothies. I don't eat many of them because not only am I still working on losing weight, but I have to eat a high fiber diet. Bananas aren't high in fiber, and I am too stubborn to use fiber supplements. My body is thanking me for that, though, as I feel so great, eating how I do!

So, I say enjoy your bananas if you want. The only thing that is "fattening" is eating more calories than you burn.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you eat 3000 calories a day of Bananas they are fattening and you'd have Potassium poisoning.
  • KrispyNoodles
    KrispyNoodles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There's so much misinformation on the Internet. Bananas are fine. They are high in potassium making them great for a post-run snack. Why would there be bananas at the finish line of most races if they were bad for you? My favourite post-run meal is a banana-cinnamon omelette: put some coconut oil in a pan, add one sliced banana, and 2 eggs whisked with some half & half. Let set like an omelette, flip (good luck keeping it in one piece) and top with plenty of cinnamon. Enjoy. I eat this nearly every day and have lost a good deal of weight since November.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    @fatdoob if you believe that I'd suggest you go check out the links I gave you. My husband can eat 30 bananas in a day and hes not dead nor obese -_-
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I keep reading things about banana's being fattening, 0ne of the foods to avoid to get rid of belly fat etc. Does anyone know anything about this? Like is it really that important? I eat probably like 4-5 a week.

I eat one almost every day and down almost 80 pounds. So no, if you enjoy them, don't avoid eating them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Each banana has about 14 grams of sugar and 27 carbs. Depending on the type of diet you are on, this could have a big impact.

That's not even enough sugar to impact most diabetics.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    @fatdoob if you believe that I'd suggest you go check out the links I gave you. My husband can eat 30 bananas in a day and hes not dead nor obese -_-

30 bananas a day! Holy crap! Does he get constipated? Apologies if this verges in TMI...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Maybe if you are diabetic... but it will have no impact with being able to lose weight.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Thank Goodness for that! LOL I love banana's and I definitely didn't get to this weight from eating bananas, Carbs are my weakness. Just glad to know that eating 'em won't hinder my progress
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I used to hate bananas (texture weirded me out) but over the last six months I have gotten over that and love bananas. I eat one every day with my lunch. The cause of my belly is the left over skin from losing weight, weight that was gained from eating too much junk food, so I don't worry about the banana at all!
    And if that was the case, think of how many fat monkeys there would be LOL!