Why do so many women lift such light weights?

Replies

• About 25 years ago, I was working in a bakery in a backwoods area of Missouri (pronounced "misery"). I slung a 100 lb bag of sugar over my shoulder. My supervisor, a willfully ignorant redneck (male) told me not to do that because my "uterus will fall out." Talk about a major dumba$$!!

pMkvNzF.gif

BTW, I'm not sure of the definition of "lifting heavy" but I lift the max amount that I can for 8 reps x 5 sets. It's not much but I'm making progress.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago working in a restaurant. I was lifting the mop bucket to go pour it out and one of my coworkers (I think Vietnamese, probably in her 50's) told me not to lift such heavy things or I'd never have kids.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I wonder the same thing. It seems like a long, slow process that is a waste of time.

So what you are saying is...if you don't lift heavy...you shouldn't lift at all?

There are a few of us that would love to lift heavy...but due to some conditions...our bodies don't allow us to...so we lift...light. Maybe it is a waste of time...but I like doing it...so...

I started with my "Barbie weights" at 3lbs. The 13lbs weights that I use now...feels heavy to me!

I actually never said that. I was referring to people who are perfectly capable of doing more but still complain about not seeing results quickly due to the myth of women becoming bulky from lifting. Obviously, everyone should lift according to their capabilities if they choose to do so. I hope that clarified my statement.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    About 25 years ago, I was working in a bakery in a backwoods area of Missouri (pronounced "misery"). I slung a 100 lb bag of sugar over my shoulder. My supervisor, a willfully ignorant redneck (male) told me not to do that because my "uterus will fall out." Talk about a major dumba$$!!

pMkvNzF.gif

BTW, I'm not sure of the definition of "lifting heavy" but I lift the max amount that I can for 8 reps x 5 sets. It's not much but I'm making progress.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago working in a restaurant. I was lifting the mop bucket to go pour it out and one of my coworkers (I think Vietnamese, probably in her 50's) told me not to lift such heavy things or I'd never have kids.

I keep a vagina bag with me at the gym-like a fanny pack.
    Mine falls out all the time- so I just put in a bag so I can lift and not worry about it.

I only replace it because at work it gets uncomfortable- people see it out in the open and they want to have sex. It's just so weird.

wack-adoo's everywhere.
  • About 25 years ago, I was working in a bakery in a backwoods area of Missouri (pronounced "misery"). I slung a 100 lb bag of sugar over my shoulder. My supervisor, a willfully ignorant redneck (male) told me not to do that because my "uterus will fall out." Talk about a major dumba$$!!

pMkvNzF.gif

Mine falls out all the time- so I just put in a bag so I can lift and not worry about it.

I only replace it because at work it gets uncomfortable- people see it out in the open and they want to have sex. It's just so weird.

wack-adoo's everywhere.

That is a hilarious mental image. I don't believe the common myths anyway, and I'm excited to see what progress I make in the gym.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    I think women get conflicting information. There is the New Rules which talks about heavy lifting, P90X talks about heavy lifting, but then if you look at the numerous workouts geared towards women, it's usually interval training with lower weights. Jillian talks about going heavier as does Jackie Warner, if you aren't feeling the burn, but I don't think they are talking about weights larger than 15lbs. Also, when doing interval training with speed, heavier weights are more likely to lead to injury (because the timing is too fast to make sure form is perfect as you move to heavier weights).
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Of course heavy is relative.. but as you mentioned, most women have purses that weight more than the weights they are curling at the gym. And babies.. and groceries.. and...

To be fair... Babies once they get about 4 months old, get carried sitting on our hip. MUCH easier to carry weights on the hip then bench them or press them over our heads...and purses hang on the shoulder, again easier to manage that weight (mine is barely 3 ponds I bet and. I often wear it cross over strap style so I don't even notice the weight....

But I do lift heavy..for me.. And it took me 6 weeks to move past the basic 45# weights I started with. Almost two whole months. That can be very defeating.

And I bet some women just don't want to lift heavy weights. So what? It's their life.
  • JoRocka
    doesn't matter where you carry the weight- at some point you still have to pick it up- and you have to pick it up properly (in theory).
    Not only does lifting make your life easier- it teaches you how to properly lift crap up.

i'm constantly amazed at how people pick weights up- even when teaching dead lift- they will perform several reps- complete it at the top- then round down to set the bar down instead of lowering it properly. It's no wonder we are a nation plagued by bad backs/bad posture and constant pain.

There is absolutely no question that the benefits to weight lifting far outnumber the cons- and far surpass any excuse someone makes up.

Sure you may not want to- but the reality is there is so much benefit to doing it even if you hate it- you should still include SOME form of Resistance training in your life.

Hell even my cardio obsessed friend knows she should weight train- so she puts in a few workouts through the month just do it.

sigh. but you are absolutely right. if you don't want to- don't do it- they have a right to their own life.

PS- super cute belt.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I wasn't disagreeing that lifting weights is beneficial.. Just that Heaving a baby on to the hip then back down 20 minutes later isn't the same as overhead pressing said kid for 5 sets of 10 reps. Not saying it isn't lifting weight, just saying i didn't think it was a good comparison to say "they hoisted ther 20# kid onto their hips, so they should be able to belt out 5x5 with 45# barbell" (though not your exact words!) But you're right, people should at the very least know how to lift properly so thy don't ruin their back playing with their kids or carrying groceries.

(And also I do lift, in case you actually were using "you" as personally to me, though you probably weren't )

I guess it's like wishing our spouses would workout..sure they should and it's beneficial, but sadly, they just won't till they are ready.

And thanks, the belt is my new belly dancing jingle belt, just need to get a real belly dancing skirt now
    PS- super cute belt.
  • Without reading all of the pages in this thread, I'll concur with what I'm sure many of you have said: The dreaded myth of BULKING.

It's unfortunate too because I've worked with amazing trainers in the past (before I came out of my comfort zone and began training on my own) that never let me live up to my potential.

When I'm at the gym now, I get a lot of guys giving feedback about how impressed they were with what I was deadlifting or squating...two things I rarely, if ever, see others doing in the gym.

TOSS THAT IRON AROUND LADIES..Don't be scared :)
  • JoRocka
    I wasn't disagreeing that lifting weights is beneficial.. Just that Heaving a baby on to the hip then back down 20 minutes later isn't the same as overhead pressing said kid for 5 sets of 10 reps. Not saying it isn't lifting weight, just saying i didn't think it was a good comparison to say "they hoisted ther 20# kid onto their hips, so they should be able to belt out 5x5 with 45# barbell" (though not your exact words!) But you're right, people should at the very least know how to lift properly so thy don't ruin their back playing with their kids or carrying groceries.

(And also I do lift, in case you actually were using "you" as personally to me, though you probably weren't )

I guess it's like wishing our spouses would workout..sure they should and it's beneficial, but sadly, they just won't till they are ready.

And thanks, the belt is my new belly dancing jingle belt, just need to get a real belly dancing skirt now
    PS- super cute belt.

yeah nope- not you specifcally. LOL

I realize they aren't the same things- but a lot of that strength carries over. You're right- about the SO working out (god I wish mine would) but all in do time. He knows if he gets to fat though I'm out.

I figured it was for dance- doesn't look like a jingly one- which is why I liked the look of it (I am not fond those cheap jinglly ones- they make me crazy)- I use a plain double triangle ones- (it's actually the triangle thing I cut off my melodia pants)- noise is not my friend.

you don't need a skirt unless you are performing really- they just get in the way while you are training to be honest- I wear fitted capris- much more better for seeing things :)
  • awilde4
    awilde4 Posts: 16 Member
    Can I ask how you know how much is 'enough'?

for example, I started doing some of the arm machines at my gym and was trying to challenge myself but have no clue. I'm doing usually 25 or 30 pounds on overhead stuff but I think 40 or 50 on a different pull down machine, it's just easier. (sorry don't know the real names)

In most cases I can get through 3 sets of 10-12 reps not with no problem but certainly manageable. When should it start to get hard?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member

wack-adoo's everywhere.

The funny part about this statement is that in some English speaking parts of the world, a fanny is slang for da kitty. So, a fanny pack would be an appropriate place to stick fallen girly bits. :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    I'll be honest, before i started losing weight and becoming healthier, i always envisioned lifting would lead to big muscles. The more i've read up on it the more i understand it. I intend to start going to the gym and lifting. Gotta start somewhere!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    doesn't matter where you carry the weight- at some point you still have to pick it up- and you have to pick it up properly (in theory).
    Not only does lifting make your life easier- it teaches you how to properly lift crap up.

i'm constantly amazed at how people pick weights up- even when teaching dead lift- they will perform several reps- complete it at the top- then round down to set the bar down instead of lowering it properly. It's no wonder we are a nation plagued by bad backs/bad posture and constant pain.

There is absolutely no question that the benefits to weight lifting far outnumber the cons- and far surpass any excuse someone makes up.

Sure you may not want to- but the reality is there is so much benefit to doing it even if you hate it- you should still include SOME form of Resistance training in your life.

Hell even my cardio obsessed friend knows she should weight train- so she puts in a few workouts through the month just do it.

sigh. but you are absolutely right. if you don't want to- don't do it- they have a right to their own life.

PS- super cute belt.

You have said what I believe. My strength training is geared for the activities that I want to be able to continue to do. At my age...I am looking to be able to pick something up without hurting myself...lift something up and put it on a shelf...carry something without my arms giving way..and be able to get up out of the floor...or even a chair. Most...if not all of my exercise is geared toward the activities that I want to be able to do as I continue to age and toward activities that I enjoy or those that I would like to be fit enough to try.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    About 25 years ago, I was working in a bakery in a backwoods area of Missouri (pronounced "misery"). I slung a 100 lb bag of sugar over my shoulder. My supervisor, a willfully ignorant redneck (male) told me not to do that because my "uterus will fall out." Talk about a major dumba$$!!

pMkvNzF.gif

wack-adoo's everywhere.

That is a hilarious mental image. I don't believe the common myths anyway, and I'm excited to see what progress I make in the gym.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5pjSRSLGQ Wanda Sykes very fitting
  • JoRocka
    Can I ask how you know how much is 'enough'?

for example, I started doing some of the arm machines at my gym and was trying to challenge myself but have no clue. I'm doing usually 25 or 30 pounds on overhead stuff but I think 40 or 50 on a different pull down machine, it's just easier. (sorry don't know the real names)

In most cases I can get through 3 sets of 10-12 reps not with no problem but certainly manageable. When should it start to get hard?

weights are very "personal" so what's heavy for me- is probably impossible for you right now- but my heavy is someone else's warm up weight. Trying to pin down "heavy enough" in terms of numbers is a waste of time- it just makes you spin your wheels.

Heavy is a rep range- that's the best way to describe it.
    1-5 = heavy
    5=10 size/strength
    10-15 muscle endurance

If you can't do 1 rep- it's TOO heavy.
    If you can do 15- it's not enough enough typically.

if you are continually doing 10-12 reps- you should be adding weight to it- If I do the first set and it's do-able- I add weight.

Now- to be fair- the lifting we are talking about here (typically) is not machines- it's mostly free weights or barbell - so slightly different- but the heavy/rep range/ still applies.
    The funny part about this statement is that in some English speaking parts of the world, a fanny is slang for da kitty. So, a fanny pack would be an appropriate place to stick fallen girly bits. :)
    BAH HA HA HA HA HAI so needed to know this.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member

wack-adoo's everywhere.

Hahahahaha - I love this!
  • JoRocka
    curious as to what the OP lifts at this point anyway to be challenging women on their weights?
  • brinabj
    brinabj Posts: 28
    I move up on the weights every now and then but doing 5 and 10 lbs sometimes 15 has done me just fine and has tightened my arms drastically now squats i do heavier weights
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    curious as to what the OP lifts at this point anyway to be challenging women on their weights?

I don't think the OP was really challenging women on their weights, at least that isn't the way I read it. I thought he was more curious as to what they thought they were going to achieve with small weights and many many reps and why they wouldn't consider going heavy. He later was asking whether the community thought a class on basics and getting started would be something people (not just women) would find helpful and want.