Replies

• Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I am giving up bread and pasta! :)
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I am doing, "No to all sugar products." for the next 40 days to see if I can make it a HABIT.

There has got to be a way to say no to those products and live with fresh fruits as desserts or between meal snacks.

:bigsmile:

It sounds unnecessary.

But Jesus.

Now this is just a hunch...

But I don't think Jesus cares if we give up carbs, sugar, bread, chocolate, <insert-food-you-love-here>.
    Most people "giving up" something for Lent miss the entire point of doing it in the first place.

BLASPHEMY!

I wonder if the superpowers upstairs are saying, "Hmm, Susie is not eating sugar for 40 days. She will be greatly rewarded."

probs
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I suggest keeping wholegrain unprocessed carbohydrated in your diet - just keep it under 100g a day if you really want to keep the carbs lower. You will still lose weight and your body won't go into shock and put weight back on when you start eating carbs again...

Don't be scared of carbs, your body needs good carbs, protein and healthy fats for weightloss to work efficiently and last.

There is NO need for carbs in the human diet..............

Fat and protein are the most important macro-nutrients to consume.

lolwat

:laugh:
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You are taking an essential nutrient away from yourself and it's dangerous. These stupid diets have people thinking carbs are bad for you.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

lolwat

it's pretty much true. You can't live without fat or protein, but you can live without carbs. Maybe it's not optimal, but you can do it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Scientific proof please.

And I don't mean Paleo Propaganda either. I mean real science.

Never easy to prove a negative. There are well defined "essential fats" and "essential amino acids" that we have to eat for health because we don't make them. There are no "essential carbohydrates".

We can make the blood glucose we need for some organs. Glucose in blood produced by the liver was discovered as "sugar in a dog" which caused the scientist to investigate how this happened as the dog ate no sugar or carbs.

A learned US body state at http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/DRI_Energy/265-338.pdf that "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed. However, the amount of dietary carbohydrate that provides for optimal health in humans is unknown" on p275.

There are numerous clinical trials with carbohydrate levels below 50 grams a day, these were approved by ethics committees and nobody died or got ill.

Best I can offer.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You are taking an essential nutrient away from yourself and it's dangerous. These stupid diets have people thinking carbs are bad for you.

What essential nutrients can you only get from carbs and not from a fat or protein alternative?????

Answers on a postcard please. :smile:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

What essential nutrients can you only get from carbs and not from a fat or protein alternative?????

beer?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

beer?

Yep - big face palm!!!!

I also forgot wine as well - in the words of Napoleon Dynamite 'IDIOT'
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I suggest keeping wholegrain unprocessed carbohydrated in your diet - just keep it under 100g a day if you really want to keep the carbs lower. You will still lose weight and your body won't go into shock and put weight back on when you start eating carbs again...

Don't be scared of carbs, your body needs good carbs, protein and healthy fats for weightloss to work efficiently and last.

erm.... Speaking in absolutes is always dangerous. You say there is NO need for carbs. Then you say that fat and protein are the MOST important macros, indicating that other macros are also important, just less so. Such as carbs? Considering how carbs are used by the body during times of exercise stress, it's hard to believe that they are completely unneccessary.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am doing, "No to all sugar products." for the next 40 days to see if I can make it a HABIT.

There has got to be a way to say no to those products and live with fresh fruits as desserts or between meal snacks.

You do know there is sugar in that fruit, right?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

You do know there is sugar in that fruit, right?

Yeah, and this person completely missed the point of Lent.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

lolwat

it's pretty much true. You can't live without fat or protein, but you can live without carbs. Maybe it's not optimal, but you can do it.

Considering carbs are the body's preferred source of energy, and the fact that those sugars fuel your brain.... Your body needs carbs.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

lolwat

Considering carbs are the body's preferred source of energy, and the fact that those sugars fuel your brain.... Your body needs carbs.

:noway: The body burns Glucose first because it wants that *kitten* out your system (just joking - but its not the bodys preferred fuel).
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand this. Is this religious or just dieting? I find these statements confusing, I thought lent was about giving up luxuries.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I gave up "giving up" for lent. It's working wonders.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand this. Is this religious or just dieting? I find these statements confusing, I thought lent was about giving up luxuries.

It's supposed to be religious, and it's being made out to be a diet. Personally, I find it somewhat offensive. Lent is about strengthening your relationship with God, however that may be. The Catholic Church stresses doing acts of service, like volunteer work, increased prayer, and charity.

The ONLY thing during Lent that is about food is written in Catholic Doctrine. You do not eat meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays, and you must fast 2 meals on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. It's sort of an antiquated rule based on the sentiment that if you are hungry for food, you will feed your soul.

ETA: The Canons: 1250-1253
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Carbs do hold a lot of water, so making your body drier like a desert is really just symbolic for the desert Christ fasted in.

In the absence of carbs, protein and fat are broken down and used for energy - ketones and glucogenesis. Glad I'm an atheist.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options

It's supposed to be religious, and it's being made out to be a diet. Personally, I find it somewhat offensive. Lent is about strengthening your relationship with God, however that may be. The Catholic Church stresses doing acts of service, like volunteer work, increased prayer, and charity.

The ONLY thing during Lent that is about food is written in Catholic Doctrine. You do not eat meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays, and you must fast 2 meals on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. It's sort of an antiquated rule based on the sentiment that if you are hungry for food, you will feed your soul.

ETA: The Canons: 1250-1253

I always give something up...this year is bread and fried foods... plus I have added that I'm going to do Random Acts of Kindness.. and teaching my girl scout troop about Random Acts of Kindness/Pay it Forward..