Protien for post workout!

Options
I just had my first day at the gym with a personal trainer. The guy kicked my butt and took me to the max. Afterwards he told me to eat protein in the next 30 min. I was so burnt out from the workout I forgot to ask him my questions like how many grams of protein are you so pose to eat afterwards? I know a lot of people use shakes, and I might try some, but I'm looking for other options also :) What do you eat!

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about it. As long as you reach your protein goal for the day you're fine.

Your trainer is just spouting the usual fitness advice, which happens to be a myth. Not really his fault, as personal trainers don't actually know a single thing about nutrition.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I find it very difficult to eat after, mainly because my workouts are in the evening and by the time I get showered and home I am ready for bed! I just grab a handful of nuts (about 5 almonds or 3 brazils normally) and a glass of water and that's me. I know its wrong but I just can't eat before bed.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about it. As long as you reach your protein goal for the day you're fine.

Your trainer is just spouting the usual fitness advice, which happens to be a myth. Not really his fault, as personal trainers don't actually know a single thing about nutrition.

The Personal Trainers through my gym are all nutrition trained up to level 3, but PT trained up to 2 or 3.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    After a tough work out, I usually drink a protein shake when I get home from the gym. As for the effectiveness of this strategy, I have no idea. My instincts say if you're getting enough protein, the timing probably isn't all that critical.
  • CALTONAstyles
    CALTONAstyles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys :) I'll just try to get my protein throughout the day