Why do so many men keep their chicken legs?

Options
So, the women have put one back on us in the "Why do so many women lift such light weights?" thread.

Just as often as I see women lifting light weights in the gym, I see guys pumping out set after set of chest back and arm exercises, and the only leg workout they do is the pacing they do between sets.

Your upper body looks great.. but you can't wear pants all the time...

Why don't men spend more time on their legs?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you saw my post in the other thread, but I mentioned this!

At my gym at home NO ONE uses the power rack for squats. There are tons of male weight lifters who do all sorts of upper body/upper back work, and then NO DEADS OR SQUATS. I'm the only one - male or female - and it is always hella awkward.

I think this points to general, all around ignorance about the benefits of a full body compound heavy lifting program.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda the opposite. I run, and my legs look super. But no muscle up top. Work to do.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Agree with this totally. So many in my gym are always doing upper body and it shows. so out of proportion. Should never forget the basics include Squats and Deadlifts. No surprise I never seem to have trouble getting on the Squat rack. Bizarre!

There are two in particular at my gym and they wear shorts. They both have pretty decent torsos but they are balanced on two pencils each :D
  • CorkGirl76
    CorkGirl76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am the only person I see in my local body builders gym that seems to squat or deadlift when I am there. I never see the guys doing it. Very weird.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Same reason so many guys develop their chest and not their back. They can't see it in the bathroom mirror, so they don't care about it. :P
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Don't seem to have this problem. My legs are continuously trying to eat the rest of my body and it is annoying.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Friends-Dont-Let-Friends-Skip-Leg-Day-Foam-Rollers-Australia.png
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    "Friends don't let friends skip leg day"
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I am all power butt and thighs with no boobies in sight is this the same?
    Not really the same since you can't train boobs.

Not sure why so many skip leg day, obviously people entering comps don't so I guess maybe some guys who just want to look good on the beach think chicks don't care about the lower body or something?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I thought most men eat the legs of chickens; keep them for what? Is this voo doo foodz? Is this from Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Class?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Honest answer - legs are hard. I have not wanted to throw up from bench press, or rows. Squats, I have come close and close to blacking out on. It is really a full body exercise. Coupled with the fact that the next two days, if I drop something on the ground, I have to ask how much I really need it. Walking becomes a chore afterwards.

Working upper body is easy - working the legs takes effort.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A lot of guys are pretty ignorant about how to lift properly as well. I would say the vast majority just go in and willy nilly do whatever and are most concerned with their "beach muscles" and making sure they can stick their chests out, etc. Lots of guys with loads of muscular imbalance.

There are a lot of guys in my weight room and I'd say the power rack and squat rack are used by only a fraction of them. But you can definitely tell the guys who know what they're actually doing vs the "arm curl day again" guys.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Shawshankcan - I'll second that legs are hard. I don't skip leg day.. but I do delay it occasionally. I did a new PR on my deadlift last week. I always make sure I have someplace to sit down nearby on PR day just in case...
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    At my gym, I'd say the squat racks are used a lot and by both sexes. I do both upper and lower body as well............ In high school we had a guy who could bench press more than he could squat. It looked like his legs had a hard time supporting his upper body.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    so glad to not have chicken legs.....played soccer/basketball/rugby most my life def do not have weak legs
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Honest answer - legs are hard. I have not wanted to throw up from bench press, or rows. Squats, I have come close and close to blacking out on. It is really a full body exercise. Coupled with the fact that the next two days, if I drop something on the ground, I have to ask how much I really need it. Walking becomes a chore afterwards.

Working upper body is easy - working the legs takes effort.

So true
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    My coworker is an upper only body builder. He told his friend that "girls don't look at legs". I beg to differ. I LOVE big manly legs.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    93d9N39548.jpg
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am all power butt and thighs with no boobies in sight is this the same?
    Not really the same since you can't train boobs.

IS THAT A CHALLENNNNNNNNNGE??

That does it, ima do some titsquats tonight!! Who's with me?!