Where do you all get fish locally? That isnt nasty :P

Options
I want to use more fish in our diet...but a lot of the fish I see in stores is nasty looking, doesnt smell or look fresh, etc....It is keeping me from buying it...We live in southern Oregon....so we dont have access to "fresh" ocean fish. Do you buy frozen fish? We try to eat pretty simple on the "food chain"...as unprocessed as we can,etc...

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with frozen fish. Unless you live on the shore, it will end up being fresher anyways.

Just pay attention to the source. Most fish are better wild-caught, but it depends on the waters they're fished from.

edit: Catfish is generally easy to get fresh and cheap.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll read up on labels in the frozen foods ;)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Frozen and canned varieties (tuna and salmon) can work instead of fresh. Wild-caught fish is a great option and some grocers, like Whole Foods, have certain fish marked as sustainably sourced.
  • Happymom83
    Options
    Frozen and canned varieties (tuna and salmon) can work instead of fresh. Wild-caught fish is a great option and some grocers, like Whole Foods, have certain fish marked as sustainably sourced.

Thanx! I dont have a Whole Foods...but I have Trader Joes,and Natural Grocers :)
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Southern Oregon - How close to Coos Bay? We live up in Salem - and make a trip over to Newport once a year to pick up a couple things like tuna that we can ourselves... but if you have a few hours on a weekend, and live close to a river (ie - Rogue), and are willing to invest some time and energy (it's good calorie consumption) you have incredible populations of Salmon and Steelhead coming upriver almost year round - doesn't get fresher than ones you caught yourself. :)
  • Hunnergomeow
    Hunnergomeow Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I live in BC so I just go down the the wharves and buy it from the fishermen if I want it fresh. In the next couple months we're going to go out on the boat and catch them ourselves. :)

If we're buying at the store we get frozen fish and make sure it's not from China - usually get something like Ocean Liner Cod Loins, for example, that were "made" in Canada - I'm sure they must have something similar in the States.

My boyfriend went to college in southern Oregon for a couple of months and I know when he ate fish he went to Safeway and just checked on the package to see that it was local (ex: not from Asia) before he bought it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My grocery store sells fresh, wild-caught fish. Some of it is from the gulf, but some of it is flown in. Every now and then, it is wild caught but "previously frozen," which isn't the best, but it's not gross either.

But if you really want to know where to get the good stuff, go to the nearest Asian market and ask them where they get their fish. They have Mafia-like connections. Seriously.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you live inland, you're better off with frozen. I live in a super landlocked area too and I figure it's better to get fish that was frozen immediately after it was caught than something "fresh" that was transported slowly on a truck and has been dead for god knows how long.

I do try to get mine from the fancy organic/farmer's market type grocery stores that tell me where it was caught and by whom, though, because I'm a bit of a princess on the sustainability thing and all that.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    For me, Lake Conroe, Angelina River below Rayburn (great small bass fishery), Lake Livingston Dam, Lake Somerville, Colorado River, our pond, Lake Raven at the Huntsville St. Park, gulf of mexico.

Favorite fish has to be filet sized bluegill from Lake Conroe though. Although grilled striper/white bass/hybrid striper from Livingston and Somerville are tough to beat. And I also loves me some 14" Largemouth and spotted bass out of the Angelina River.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I know it is not an option for everyone but DH and I go fishing every summer at our friends cottage. Their lake is tested yearly for mercury and other nasty stuff. Wide variety of fish in the lake. Bluegill, sunfish, perch, rock bass, specks, small and big mouth bass. Catch them, clean them and freeze them. :)
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Walmart. Seriously, just buy frozen fish and stop panicing over "processed" or "frozen."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I also live inland so I buy frozen. Most of the "fresh" fish at my grocer is previously frozen anyway, and any that isn't is over $25 a lb.

We also like to fish, so stream or lake fish is sometimes fresh, but mostly we eat frozen.
  • Happymom83
    Options
    Southern Oregon - How close to Coos Bay? We live up in Salem - and make a trip over to Newport once a year to pick up a couple things like tuna that we can ourselves... but if you have a few hours on a weekend, and live close to a river (ie - Rogue), and are willing to invest some time and energy (it's good calorie consumption) you have incredible populations of Salmon and Steelhead coming upriver almost year round - doesn't get fresher than ones you caught yourself. :)

We do live by the Rogue River :)
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Thanx! I dont have a Whole Foods...but I have Trader Joes,and Natural Grocers :)

the frozen fish at Trader Joe's for SURE.
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Alberta, we ate a lot of freshwater fish - trout and pike. Mostly trout. It was fun to go out fishing, in addition to getting supper. I also bought frozen pickerel from local fishermen in the winter. I love freshwater fish.

Now I live beside the ocean and get everything fresh :)
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The rogue is a MONEY Salmon Fishery.

Type Rogue River Salmon into Google Images and check it out. :) I go down to Medford once a month - have a number of friends that fish the Rogue, it's a great fishery.

Ben
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I live in New England, so I know my fish. As an FYI, most fish is frozen at sea on the boat. Fisherman don't make the catch and come back with their haul every day, so they freeze it on board. This doesn't apply to all fish but for many caught in the North Atlantic, it does.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Kroger (and all the other groceries under the company) sell frozen tilapia fillets. You can get a family-size bag (10 fillets) for $9.99 and they are individually vacuum sealed. I am not a huge fish fan but these are really great! I've found similar products at Costco.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen fish at Costco. I live in the desert...the only other option really is to go to a couple of the fancy places around town that have it flown in fresh every couple of days, and that's just outrageously expensive.

I buy primarily salmon and mahi mahi frozen and can't really tell a whole lot of difference between that and when I get my sockeye fresh when I'm in the NW.
  • Oldtimer_65
    Options
    I catch my own.