5'3 122 lb woman REALLY wanting to lose 15 lbs! Need tips!

Options
Hi everyone! This is my first post on here! I've remained at this 122-124 lb weight for the past year and a half, and really want to get back to where I was before, at 110 lbs! I generally eat healthy and work out every day. I'm usually under in my calories, but the weight isn't coming off! Help!

Replies

• FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    thats most likely cause you dont have to!!! you are at a healthy wt already and most likely what your body wants you to be at!!!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you doing? If you are doing the same stuff over and over again you might need to up it a bit. You need to put stress on the body and shock it so it will burn more calories thus lose weight.

You exercise everyday? You definitely need rest days. Try taking at least a day off from exercising a week. This is so your body can repair itself.

How much are you under your calories by? If you are not eating 1200 calories then that will be an issue. Are you eating your exercise calories? It's important to eat those as well.
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Is it possible I'm not eating enough calories? I guess I thought the less I would eat the more I would lose weight. I usually take 2 days off a week, not back to back days.

Today I did one of the insanity dvd's then went to a yoga class after.
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    Hey Chelsea,

What's your body frame? Medium or Small?

I have a small frame. I started out 3 months ago at 125 and now I'm at 106 lbs!

What are your workouts like?
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your doctor? You are at a healthy weight based upon the information given. Maybe you just need to tone for the sleek look.
  • HIzara
    Options
    Forgot to say that I'm also 5'3" and I am aiming to lose 6 more lbs!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    well you are where i was at a few months ago. I have to two pounds to go reach my goal of 110 @ 5'3"! Unless you arent eating enough exercise and watching your calories should do the trick. I do aerobics and try to fit in strength training at least 2x's a week. i do couch potato to 5k, various exercise videos that i own or find on exercise tv, yogatoday.com, youtube etc. I get bored very easily so i try to mix it up. Drinking enough water has really helped me. Good luck!
  • chelsealjames
    Options
    Hlzara, thats me exactly!! I have a small frame, with short legs, so any extra weight looks like more on my short/small frame. What are your workouts like? and your diet? I've been trying to alternate my workouts. Sunday I did insanity cardio intervals, yesterday I did a spin class, and today I did insanity circuit training and a yoga class.
  • chelsealjames
    Options
    rachel5576, do you think its possible i'm not eating enough calories? i did insanity dvd and yoga today and i've consumed around 1,000 calories today, and probably wont eat anymore tonight.
  • HIzara
    Options
    Hlzara, thats me exactly!! I have a small frame, with short legs, so any extra weight looks like more on my short/small frame. What are your workouts like? and your diet? I've been trying to alternate my workouts. Sunday I did insanity cardio intervals, yesterday I did a spin class, and today I did insanity circuit training and a yoga class.

These are really good workouts. Keep it up!!! But I think my secret ingredient to losing a ton of weight really fast has to be JOGGING.

I jog about 4x-6x a week.

In addition, I take a combination of the following: Shadowbox class, Lift class, Pilates class and I also hike once a month. So, our workouts are pretty similar in this regard. I work out about 8x-9x a week total in the past 12 weeks (this is to try to lose weight, it is not at maintenance level).

I also eat about 1200-1400 cal a day. So..... You may want to try jogging and up your calories at least up to 1200 cal a day (not to include calories burnt into the calculation). Oh and are you getting enough protein? I take a protein shake after every workout that burns at least 450 calories (which is a lot of burning for our small frame)!!!
  • HIzara
    Options
    Have you checked with your doctor? You are at a healthy weight based upon the information given. Maybe you just need to tone for the sleek look.

Unless Chelsea has wide hips (genetically) or is a very curvy woman (being Latina or Black American), being anywhere close to 120 lbs and only 5'3" is considered very heavy for this height.

I am much happier being under 110 lbs then being close to anywhere near 120 lbs.
  • chelsealjames
    Options

These are really good workouts. Keep it up!!! But I think my secret ingredient to losing a ton of weight really fast has to be JOGGING.

In addition, I take a combination of the following: Shadowbox class, Lift class, Pilates class and I also hike once a month. So, our workouts are pretty similar in this regard. I work out about 8x-9x a week total in the past 12 weeks (this is to try to lose weight, it is not at maintenance level).

I also eat about 1200-1400 cal a day. So..... You may want to try jogging and up your calories at least up to 1200 cal a day (not to include calories burnt into the calculation). Oh and are you getting enough protein? I take a protein shake after every workout that burns at least 450 calories (which is a lot of burning for our small frame)!!!

Yes, I love to jog!! Problem is that I don't have a whole lot of extra time, because I am in school and that takes up a lot of my time. And as far as the protein shake, what do you mean by it "burns 450 calories"??

I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough protein. Even though I only ate about 1,000 cal today, my protein intake was at 56g because I try to incorporate nuts into my snacks to fill me up. Protein is essential while in school, too! Brain food!

And I may be asking a lot of questions, but in a typical day, what is your diet like?
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Unless Chelsea has wide hips (genetically) or is a very curvy woman (being Latina or Black American), being anywhere close to 120 lbs and only 5'3" is considered very heavy for this height.

I am much happier being under 110 lbs then being close to anywhere near 120 lbs.

You made me laugh "being latina or black american" :laugh: There's curvy anglo women out there, I assure you. Ummm, for myself, Italian, large frame, 5'2, 134lbs. Alll of the women in my family have an *kitten*. My hips are like BAM, I like a womanly figure. I look good at this weight, and I'm a midget :wink: I think the poster suggesting she ask her Dr. is probably on the same level as most of us reading this, like "You're 120lbs. and want to weigh less??". To each his own, if that is where you feel comfortable, then by all means :) I just had to represent for the curvy ladies, and point out that amusing classification of yours.
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree....give me something durable to lean on please....lol
  • HIzara
    Options

You made me laugh "being latina or black american" :laugh: There's curvy anglo women out there, I assure you. Ummm, for myself, Italian, large frame, 5'2, 134lbs. Alll of the women in my family have an *kitten*. My hips are like BAM, I like a womanly figure. I look good at this weight, and I'm a midget :wink: I think the poster suggesting she ask her Dr. is probably on the same level as most of us reading this, like "You're 120lbs. and want to weigh less??". To each his own, if that is where you feel comfortable, then by all means :) I just had to represent for the curvy ladies, and point out that amusing classification of yours.

That's definitely cool. I'd give anything to have an *kitten* and some boobs too! Trust me, we small frame people are jealous of you guys!
  • sherrik10
    sherrik10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    How does your clothes fit? That is the real test not the scale. I am 5'1 and weigh 122 (I am trying to get to 120). I wear a size 6-8. Don't let the scale tell you how you should be.
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong Hizara....you look pretty durable...and judging from your picture you're not lacking in either of those departments....
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Check out this from the National Institute of Health.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf

As someone said, to each her own. I stand by my comment of checking with your doctor to find out where your healthy weight is for your personal situation.
  • HIzara
    Options

Yes, I love to jog!! Problem is that I don't have a whole lot of extra time, because I am in school and that takes up a lot of my time. And as far as the protein shake, what do you mean by it "burns 450 calories"??

I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough protein. Even though I only ate about 1,000 cal today, my protein intake was at 56g because I try to incorporate nuts into my snacks to fill me up. Protein is essential while in school, too! Brain food!

And I may be asking a lot of questions, but in a typical day, what is your diet like?

What I meant by 450 calories burnt is that I make sure I workout at least 60 minutes per session and that I burn at least 450 calories per session in order to take a protein shake. It's just because protein shakes are expensive and I don't want to waste money! 56g of protein in a day is excellent!!

However, I still take a protein shake after every hardcore workout, just for muscle recovery so that I can workout with high intensity and lots of energy the next day. They say that if you work out a lot, you are actually okay to take enough protein in g in your weight in lbs. So 110lbs = 110g of protein per day is OKAY. But that is if you work out intensely and hard core, not for someone that only works out 2-3x a week. Normal maintenance is half of your weight in g. So, 110lbs = 55g a day (for someone that works out 2x-3x a week, for weight maintenance).

Omg, my diet is going to be a long conversation. I'll have to get back to you on that. :)
  • HIzara
    Options
    But if you don't work out, period, I wouldn't recommend taking more than 1/2 your weight in g of protein. But, I'm no expert. It's just what I've read. :smile: