Need a push?

Options
We all know that workouts are important. Some people enjoy them, some don't. I'm one that thoroughly despises them, but I go at it anyway.

I was sidelined a lot last year due to health issues. That is, until I read something awhile back. 'Do not decide to skip a workout until you've changed into your workout clothes.' Well, made sense to me because I'd hate to change, not do anything, only to change out of them. Although, some days when my MS flared up or my knee made it impossible to walk, I'd change into those clothes, only to change out of them. Lot of good that did, eh?!

So now, my motto is to not decide on a workout until I've changed into my workout clothes and I'm 5 minutes into my workout! That's enough to keep me from deciding to throw in the towel. I hope maybe this will help someone else to go burn it up instead of giving up.

If not, try this... I'm doing HIIT workouts while I'm in the middle of an MS flare up and it's a real *itch. If I can do it, anyone can!! :)

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have found this mind trick to work for me, too. When I first started doing formal exercise, I bought real workout clothes and shoes. I would sit and read the success stories on MFP while sipping my coffee, then I would dress in my workout clothes and read more success stories. That would get me motivated enough to start. Once I started my routine, I could push myself to finish "this set" and then at least start the next set, etc., until I finished. I always gave myself permission to quit, but I never did quit once I started. Awesome advice!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have found that for the most part, it really is mind over matter.
    So many days have found me getting up, feeling drained and tired, and still I pushed myself and ended up doing 2 hour bike rides or gym workouts. I would get up at 8am for a weekend boxing fitness class, even when I had only managed 3 hours of sleep, then proceed to take a long walk as well. I have COPD(chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) at the age of 38, diagnosed at 28, but still, I push myself to my limits in my fitness, and get myself out there. Sometimes it is really hard...breathing is harder obviously, but I attained a low bodyfat% in spite of this, because I always remember, mind over matter, when I feel like just getting back into bed, skipping my workout.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Acogg, your routine kind of sounds like mine. I'll pick a mark...10, 15 or 20 minutes... that I have to make before I'll allow myself to stop if needed. I usually find once I hit that mark, I'll set another one. lol

Graelwyn, you are remarkable!! Doing any kind of exercise with COPD is difficult. But, 2 hours?! I'm blown away!! My mother had it and it was a chore for her to walk 20 feet. Keep up the great work!! YOU are a real inspiration!