Eating Late

Options
So, I know it's not supposed to be great for weight loss to eat late etc. But I find it so much easier to eat less during the day and save probably half my calories for later in the evening. If I finish all my calories by say 5:30 pm I am starving and so tempted to eat something "naughty" I know all about snacks etc but a piece of fruit or something else low cal is not cutting it. So my question is, If less Calories out than in is really all it takes then having dinner at say 8 pm and my snack at 9 shouldn't affect my progress right? I finished dinner at 6 pm today and have been hangry ever since. I don't really want to eat anything else, because I'm already 24 cals over my deficit

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you don't go over your limit.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Eat any time you want.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What time you eat has no effect on weight loss, that is a myth. I like to eat big dinners, so I eat lower cal during the day, and save it for nighttime. And we usually don't eat dinner until 7:30-8.
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I never understood why this belief is so common. I eat most of my calories after 5 pm, and generally have a snack as late as (or occasionally after) 10 pm. Also, in most European countries, dinner is typically much later (8, 9, 10 pm), and they have much lower rates of obesity than the US. So no, it doesn't matter. Eat whenever helps you keep a deficit
  • Fitnesstracker2234
    Options
    I had the same problem before with getting hungry before bed. I finds that it was usually because I hadn't eaten enough during the day. When I get hungry at night, I try to keep it light if I do snack. I usually have yogurt or some almonds or some veggies. Something my body will be able to use while I am sleeping. I find that spacing my meals out properly prevents me from getting too hungry in the evenings.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    What time you eat has no effect on weight loss, that is a myth. I like to eat big dinners, so I eat lower cal during the day, and save it for nighttime. And we usually don't eat dinner until 7:30-8.

Same here. I regularly eat late. I'm actually eating my dinner right now (10pm) and will probably have dessert too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So, I know it's not supposed to be great for weight loss to eat late etc. But I find it so much easier to eat less during the day and save probably half my calories for later in the evening. If I finish all my calories by say 5:30 pm I am starving and so tempted to eat something "naughty" I know all about snacks etc but a piece of fruit or something else low cal is not cutting it. So my question is, If less Calories out than in is really all it takes then having dinner at say 8 pm and my snack at 9 shouldn't affect my progress right? I finished dinner at 6 pm today and have been hangry ever since. I don't really want to eat anything else, because I'm already 24 cals over my deficit
    Eat anytime you want, just make sure you plan well so you stay within your calorie goals.