Sodium

Options
DaveInFL
DaveInFL Posts: 84 Member
All,

Need to understand something about MFP and sodium. My daily limit is 2300 mg(?) of sodium. When I exercise I see that my calories increase as well as my protein, carbs, fat, etc, which makes sense to me since I need to eat more. However, my sodium always stays at 2300 no matter what. Alot of these sports hydration drinks have quite a bit of sodium and I seem to have a very hard time of hitting my sodium goal. In fact, I'd say that 95% of the time I am over the 2300 mg goal.

So, why doesn't MFP increase the amount of sodium when adding in exercise?
What can I do to try and meet my sodium goals?

My diary is open.

TIA.

Replies

• jabby2us
    jabby2us Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to answer your question -- but trying to understand why you think it is you have to eat more? Isn't it calories in/calories out? I'm trying to figure out why when I add exercise I have to eat the extra food. If I skip it -- won't my weight fall? I'm not sure about any of it and would love to see what the experts have to say about sodium.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to answer your question -- but trying to understand why you think it is you have to eat more? Isn't it calories in/calories out? I'm trying to figure out why when I add exercise I have to eat the extra food. If I skip it -- won't my weight fall? I'm not sure about any of it and would love to see what the experts have to say about sodium.

It IS calories in vs. calories out. When you exercise, that means more calories 'out', so you need to put more 'in' to keep the deficit in the range it's supposed to be.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I ignore sodium intake for various reasons, the fact that I sweat when I exercise chief among them
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Excess sodium can cause issues such as heart and neurological abnormalities as well as water retention (your body will not excrete urine so it can use that water to dilute the excess Na in your vasculature). However, if you keep hydrated, the excess water will properly dilute your excess Na, and both can be excreted by your kidneys. As long as you have functioning organs, and remain properly hydrated, your body can regulate sodium pretty well. If you have a clean bill of health, sodium intake doesn't really need to be monitored that closely.

Now as to why sport drinks have so much, it's because when you exercise hard, you get dehydrated by losing water and salt in your sweat. You can also throw the electrolyte equilibrium off by losing more of one than the other. Excess sodium with a lack of water is not good, nor is taking in too much water with low sodium as it could over-dilute your concentration. The drinks serve as a equal replacement for what you lost.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    If you are healthy and have no sodium issues, perhaps stop tracking it?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am very seldom over on sodium - leave the sport drinks if you think the sodium is too high. I don't think its that big of a deal if you go over a bit just remember high sodium will = water retention. I find my sodium goes over when I eat more processed foods.
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ive had to stop tracking sodium. I have hit all my goals every day except sodium and I just decided that since I hydrate well, I no longer needed to track it and see all that negativity every day. So I just dropped it and make sure I drink plenty of water everyday and extra when I sweat.
  • DaveInFL
    DaveInFL Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...I'm going to stop tracking it too. I'll ensure that I continue to keep well hydrated.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Always consult with your doctor if you have a reason to be concerned (especially if you are sedentary, have diabetes, or high blood pressure)

That being said, the only reason why I track sodium is to make sure I get enough (I exceed the default MFP goal on purpose)

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/pass-salt?page=single