I HATE exercise!

Options

Replies

• pinksmama
    pinksmama Posts: 40
    Options
    I hated it too but then I realized that I hate being overweight even more.

Booya.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    My thing is that I am constantly doing a million things at once at home and especially at work. Multi-tasking is my middle name! Over the last week I have ridden an exercise bike a couple times, only for 15-20 minutes and felt like I was going crazy because I was just "sitting there" peddling away. Listening to music didn't help either, which is weird because that usually is just the thing to pump me up to get moving. I feel the same way with elliptical machines, the treadmill, etc... A lot of people have a sport or exercise they love. What would you suggest for an uncoordinated 30 something who is not exactly athletic?

You don't have to be athletic to go for a walk. Do you have a park or nature trail close by? Live in a neighborhood with sidewalks? All that is required is a little motivation and a good pair of shoes.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I hate complaints about hating exercise....

This. Do you really think everybody who does it *loooooves* it?

Or maybe, just maybe we are adults about it and do it because it's beneficial in countless ways and we'll be glad we did it later?

I don't particularly ENJOY wiping my *kitten*, either, but it's something that sorta needs to be done, so I just shut up and do it.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for you. You probably just haven't found something you love. Try finding a fun outdoor hobby. Physical activity is actually really fun.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    It's not boring. Exercise doesnt have to be getting on a treadmill and jogging for 45 minutes - go on a hike, take your dog on a walk, go to zumba, take a yoga class, take kickboxing, take a dance class, ride your bike somewhere, get a personal trainer, find a gym buddy, make a good playlist for your 45 minute treadmill job if you wish.... I think you've given up before you even began. You're not gonna get anywhere with that attitude.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It is boring and I hate it! But hate it or not, I need to do it as part of a healthy lifestyle. Any suggestions? I think my biggest hurdle is that it is so boring!

THANK GOD!!! I'm not the only one!!!!

I've lost 125lbs and I've hated just about every min of working out !!!!!! But yes you have to do it.. I find it's easier to do things with people. I actually don't mind it so much when I go hiking or biking with the boyfriend.. or with a group of friends..
    But when I have to do it on my own, it's a daily struggle and most weeks I win it at least 3-4 days out of the week... so I'm okay with it.. I do wish that it was fun and happy like it seems to be with everyone else.. but guess I'm not wired that way :-/.. oh well.. still managed to do it :)
    Good luck
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I hated it too but then I realized that I hate being overweight even more.
    I am going to type up a big poster to remind myself of that !:drinker:
    Like the OP I HATE exercise too!! ( I have tried everything) :grumble:
    This is a good way to look at it!! I certainly HATE being overweight and unhealthy.
  • Bluepopsicle_25
    Bluepopsicle_25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing. So much fun, and a huge calorie burn.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    It is boring and I hate it! But hate it or not, I need to do it as part of a healthy lifestyle. Any suggestions? I think my biggest hurdle is that it is so boring!

Pole dancing, baby!
    It was the only way to get me into strength training. I can now do invert lifts...it's so much fun you forget you're exercising. But I guess I'm a little biased.

*edited to add...
    I almost mastered this move this morning. Yowza!
    http://www.polefreaks.com/aerial-climb/
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

If exercise is boring you are not working hard enough.

I'm not saying you'll necessarily love it. But if it's taking up so little of your attention and effort that you are actively bored you are not pushing your limits and are unlikely to see significant improvement.

Lift heavier weights. Run faster. Whatever.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am just really confused at how being an out of shape- unaesthetic lump on the couch is possibly less detestable than being fit and doing something with your fabulous amazing body.

I seriously loath sitting around doing nothing. working out makes me feel like I have accomplished something.

I'm an avid lifter- and dancer. I have regular gigs through the month and I train at an established school. it's what I live to do.... I LOVE it. Every time?
    nope. There are days it takes every bit of military cadre' diatribe in my head to get me up and out the door- but over the day in and day out grind that adds up to years- I love it. I have met amazing people- dancers and lifters alike and it has enriched my life in ways that I cannot even begin to explain.

None of that would have happened if I was content to sit at home and just suck air converting it into carbon dixoide.

Find some things to try- try them- give them an honest shot- your attitude sounds like it kind of sucks so it sounds like ANYTHING you try you aren't going to like. PMA goes a long way my friend.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    I'll make a suggestion of belly dancing. Fun, great core workout and easy to do at home if you are worried about seeming to be uncoordinated. Look for videos on You Tube. There's also pilates, zumba and a bunch of other exercises online to explore and do!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. HATE it. Just sort of all around sucks. I'm not sitting around - I've got plenty to do and it doesn't go away when I exercise. Those things just aren't fitness activities.

Soooo - I just made my mind up I was going to do it, sacrificed an hour of sleep, chose a 30 minute DVD, and do it in the morning. I do not like sports so specific fitness stuff is the route I need to go.

I want the health benefits of being a bit more fit and I want to lose some weight, more than I hate the exercise.

Also - I think it gets a little easier as I do it more because eventually I see some results. Like in the beginning I could not do one single modified pushup. I still can't do a real pushup but I can do a few modified. Once I see even small results it gets a little....I wouldn't say fun but less hateful. My blood pressure is already down and so is my resting heart rate and those are real and good. ETA: - been doing it for a little over a month is all.

Hang in there - you can do it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Well, don't do any then.

Or find some out of the 2000 forms you obviously haven't tried and give them a go. Something will stick.

Probably could've been trying something in the time it took you to start and participate in this thread....
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Find something you like:

Basketball
    Baseball
    Softball
    Football
    Walking
    Running
    Jogging
    Skiing
    Cross Country Skiing
    Water Skiing
    Kayaking
    Canoeing
    Hiking
    Mountain Climbing
    Volleyball
    Walleyball
    Crossfit
    Weightlifting
    Sex

Hah! This. I hate being on a machine, so I tried a few classes at the gym. I love my TurboFit/Cardio Kickboxing class, and I've made a few buddies to boot. :wink:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It is boring and I hate it

So what exactly is it about the vast range of options available that makes all of them boring?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Also - I think it gets a little easier as I do it more because eventually I see some results. Like in the beginning I could not do one single modified pushup. I still can't do a real pushup but I can do a few modified. Once I see even small results it gets a little....I wouldn't say fun but less hateful. My blood pressure is already down and so is my resting heart rate and those are real and good. ETA: - been doing it for a little over a month is all.

Hang in there - you can do it.

bolded for emphasis.

If you suck at something you aren't going to want to do it- but the things you ARE good at- you want to do. So don't just give up right away- seeing results and being successful is a huge motivation for keeping going and will help. Success goes a long way to promoting "motivation"
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You have just not found the right thing for you. I used to say I hate cardio. But my goal for this year is to add cardio at least 2x a week, because lifting is only part of the equation. I tried almost every class at my YMCA, and found 3 that I really like. Not doing exercise because you "hate it" IMHO is an excuse not to workout, rather than trying other things until you find what you DO like.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I hate boring exercise, but there are lots of fun ways to do it. You just have to find that thing you find fun, maybe a sport like volleyball, softball or soccer. Or maybe you like to dance or to listen to your MP3s while walking outside and looking at the scenery. There are any number of ways to exercise. Don't give up until you find one that you actually enjoy. It's out there.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Find something you like:

Basketball
    Baseball
    Softball
    Football
    Walking
    Running
    Jogging
    Skiing
    Cross Country Skiing
    Water Skiing
    Kayaking
    Canoeing
    Hiking
    Mountain Climbing
    Volleyball
    Walleyball
    Crossfit
    Weightlifting
    Sex

^^ this and much more!

If you can't find even just one thing (maybe even 3 or 4) that you like out of All the activities in the world.... then you must be a vegetable!

Also, some days I would rather stay in my pjs watching tv, but above that I really love the muscle tone I have from exercising!

****Being fat is hard, Being fit is hard..... Pick you Hard!*****