New to this

Options
Hello,

I'm very new to the fitness world and am having trouble losing the weight. I've been at it steady for about a month and have seen very little results. The only positive I've gotten from going to the gym 6+ hours a week is that I can run up a flight of stairs rather fast and not be out of breath. I'd like to lose 30 lb by September but 15 by June. Any ideas/suggestions? I've done some research and now know that I need to consume at leader 1200c a day, but I can't ever reach that. I'm not use to eating that much. I'm overweight bc I ate fatty foods at the wrong time (like chips at 3am while laying in bed) and did very little exercise. Any suggestions on meals or exercise routines to try would be greatly appreciated! I know very little and would love to learn much more! I would like to see some weight loss at my next weigh in! :)

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have only had a quick peek at your food diary and TBH you are right, it is full of fatty processed foods, like doughnuts for breakfast.

You will have to rethink your diet, start by including fresh food like vegetables & fruit and try and avoid just packaged processed foods

If you are not already doing so, and I guess you are not, start weighing food, once you stop opening packets you will need tyo do this

Add me as friend if you wish, my food diary is open to friends
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You need to get your food intake right - going to the gym is very much secondary when it comes to weight loss.

Analyse your diary yourself - see where the big "reds" are, and think about how you could make changes. Could you crunch on celery or carrots sticks instead of the candy, for instance?
  • 3lazlow
    3lazlow Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you for ur reply! I was just reading an article a few months back that the crunch of carrots satisfies the crunching of chips. I will have to test this out. I am defiantly going to check the red flags and take those foods out :)
  • allysteven880
    Options
    HI!

Taking proper amount of food will make your weight balanced. It is up to you because you must have to pay attention for the weight loss.
  • 3lazlow
    Options
    Thanks so much for having a look. I'm slowly easing out of 'conscience foods'. I go to uni and never have been a big morning eater so I usually grab a doughnut after my class and have been up and walking around for a while. But, I got some all natural fruits bars a few days ago to keep in my backpack. I had someone in my gym bag for an after workout snack and thought, why don't I eat these in the AM? I try to include fresh foods as much as I can, but I sometimes forget to log them. And I am trying to stay away from weighing foods bc in the past when I tried dieting and losing weight it was borderline eating disorder, where I didn't eat for days then ate all at once and then wouldn't for days. I'm starting very slow. I'm trying to focus on building my gym habit first and causally working on my diet. My depression makes it hard for me to even get motivated enough to fold laundry so I'm working on one habit at a time. With the gym being a bit of a lively, social place I thought that would help me be motivated to keep going back bc I don't feel lonely there. Even though I'm by myself. my antisocialness and anxiety can only handle so much of it so I'm easing into the gym scene slowly with some friends. Do u have any suggestions on which fruits and veggies are better than others? I've had an iron and salt deffiecency on the past and I'm pretty sure it hasn't gone away so I eat a lot of greens, but do u recommend anything other than that? Thanks so much for any help or advice!
  • 3lazlow
    Options
    So it's very important to consume that 1200C goal?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Thats a broad brush guideline to the minimum your body needs in order to make sure that you get enough nutrients to survive. One day here or there under 1200 wont hurt, but consistently over a period of time it will have an impact on how your body works.
  • nehmon
    nehmon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your Diary.
    I wont say anything about your Food since it's all been said.
    I see also good numbers of calories burned due to gym activities, which is good too.
    My question is how do you get to know the calories burned? are you using a HRM or is that the numbers given by a tool such as mfp?
    Most peolple use burned calories numbers given by a tool this can be wrong values. This leads to teh fact that one will eat thinking well i'm still in my calories budget for the day and may end up not losing weight like expected.

Well just one thing more to think about maybe.

Have a good day and dont give up.
  • Kezzanna
    Kezzanna Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Less processed, less sugar, more water. I think the guideline is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, so someone who eats properly and doesn't exercise will probably lose weight faster than someone who exercises a lot, but has a poor diet. It is best to have both, but if you have to choose between the two, nutrition plays a really big part of the equation.
  • isobelo46
    isobelo46 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    you now know what you have to do ,so one day at a time@try to relax i will soon be second nature .Add me to your list if you want KEEP going .:flowerforyou:
  • 3lazlow
    Options
    Thank u, I will
  • 3lazlow
    Options
    That's good to know. I'll shift more of my work to my diet now. I've got my gym routine down and I've even joined some classes they offer. Thanks for the info :)
  • 3lazlow
    Options
    The machines tell me the calories burned and for things like Zumba or power circuit classes, I use the app. I enter my height weight and age into the machine and it tells me then calories burned

I had a look at your Diary.
    I wont say anything about your Food since it's all been said.
    I see also good numbers of calories burned due to gym activities, which is good too.
    My question is how do you get to know the calories burned? are you using a HRM or is that the numbers given by a tool such as mfp?
    Most peolple use burned calories numbers given by a tool this can be wrong values. This leads to teh fact that one will eat thinking well i'm still in my calories budget for the day and may end up not losing weight like expected.

Well just one thing more to think about maybe.

Have a good day and dont give up.