I HAVE A QUESTION IN REGARDS TO LOSING WEIGHT/GAINING MUSCLE

Options
I see a lot of people who are bulking eating well over 3k cals a day. My questions pertains to my weight loss at the same time. I am looking to lose another 30 lbs or so still, but if I was to start doing heavy lifting could I up my calories to 2800 or so and still lose the fat? Or do I need to cut the 30 lbs first and then gain the muscle?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it is almost impossible to gain muscle while losing weight. Unless you are noob to lifting or obese which I suspect you are neither.

You cannot eat at a surplus and lose weight....

You can however start heavy lifting at anytime and get enough protien to maintain your LBM which is great because instead of losing fat and muscle...you mainly lose fat.

IMHO if you have 30lbs to lose...lose that while eating at a deficet...get in your protien...(I would say at least 150g a day...*guess) and start a progressive load lifting program like Strong lifts 5x5.
  • AFWXDUDE
    AFWXDUDE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Got any lifting routines I should follow? I am currently eating 1700 calories a day and have lost 12 lbs in about 6 weeks. I would love to lose more quicker, but know that can be unhealthy. I am more interested really in eating more and losing just as fast, if not faster. Let me know what you think on this.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    ^ what she said plus - you will still gain strength (without gaining muscle) at deficit so - lift the weights, you'll feel awesome.
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    Also, I just technically got out of the obese category. My BMI is 29 according to the BMI charts.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    A lot of people, myself included, like starting strength and Stronglifts - but can you not take advantage of trainers etc at work? I'm doing wendlers ATM, it's also very good.

And yes to one of your original questions, it would probably be better to eat a good bit more, if you add lifting to your routine.

ETA: IMO, BMI is not a good way to judge progress - often very fit people will show as overweight when measured by this standard.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am more interested really in eating more and losing just as fast, if not faster. Let me know what you think on this.

not going to happen! why so impatient!?
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    Unfortunately my base does not have personal trainers that are free and the military pays to little for me to pay for one. A coworker is about to give me his workout items as he is moving and the weights put him over his alloted limit. So I was going to lift in my garage.
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    PT test coming up in 2 more months. Trying to get down to a decent weight/waist. Makes it much easier to pass. But as i said, i am really just looking to be able to eat more. Im not necessarily hungry, but am tired of not feeling satisfied after eating. I dont feel full, I just feel not hungry for a few hours.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Cardio would allow you to eat more and still lose at the same rate if you eat your net calories.

If you decide to add resistance or even if you don't actually (I had a creep at your diary), you could think about upping your protein, this would help preserve LBM and you might feel a bit fuller.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    PT test coming up in 2 more months. Trying to get down to a decent weight/waist. Makes it much easier to pass. But as i said, i am really just looking to be able to eat more. Im not necessarily hungry, but am tired of not feeling satisfied after eating. I dont feel full, I just feel not hungry for a few hours.

if you are losing 2lb a week on 1700 why not up to 2000 to lose a pound and a half a week, or even 2200 and just lose a pound?

add in some heavy lifting and you can still lose a load of fat so your waist is smaller.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more. You are probably not satisfied because you have been leaving 400+ calories on your plate for the past couple of days. Eat up to your goal calories, they aren't set very high to begin with. I would be hungry at barely above 1200 too.
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    For the deficit I have been having the pass few days, its to make up for the days I didnt log(had probably 3k cals these days). Even eating 1700 im not always satisfied, but I am liking the progress I have seen so far. Im still trying to figure out the right combo for eating and losing. As I said though, Im happy with the 12lbs gone so far.
  • AFWXDUDE
    Options
    I was just more curious if i started heavy lifting, could I eat 2500 or so calories and still lose the same amount of weight I am now?
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    just lift weights and eat at a deficit. No more questions. Go to the gym and lift. Do not increase your calories untill you understand the idea of bulking and cutting.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I was just more curious if i started heavy lifting, could I eat 2500 or so calories and still lose the same amount of weight I am now?

No. But you will lose more fat and less LBM