should we eat fruit in a diet or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor this when I was asking her opinion on different diets since i need to lose some weight. Her response "you didnt get fat from eating fruit". Good point. Her recommendation was to eat as naturally as possible- whole grains, whole fruits and veggies (not juiced), lean protein, nuts and nut butters....and if you have an occassional piece of cake, don't beat yourself up. Just make sure that its really good cake and completely worth indulging. Just watch how much good stuff you are eating and don't overdo it on any one thing- be balanced and mindful.

I think your doctor is spot on!
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    yummmm I love fruits!! Especially strawberries mangos and bananas!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hello !

I'm not doing a a specific type of diet. I'm just cutting off candy chips fried food bread flour soda. I'm making my portions Smaller and I eat fruit I eat oranges like 2 or 3 a day strawberries not always but when i do i eat 3 a day dates I eat like 10 dates a day and I bananas and apples.
    I read in one article That I shouldn't eat any fruits that have sugar in it. I exercise For a hour a day everyday and sometimes more. Now I really would like to know why we should or shouldn't eat any fruit when deiting?

Definitely eat fruit - I would suggest limiting the amount you eat as they do contain sugar - make sure it fits in with your calorie goal. (great idea cutting the other things).

Good luck.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Always eat natural fruit. Avoid dried fruit but whole and sliced fruit? Golden every day. Our bodies need it.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Fruit is fine, just don't eat a TON of apples (or whatever else) in a day. People tend to freak out over fruit sugar, but fruit also has a lot of nutrients in it that your body needs. And fruit sugar >>>>> refined sugar. All sugar is not the same.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hello !

I'm not doing a a specific type of diet. I'm just cutting off candy chips fried food bread flour soda. I'm making my portions Smaller and I eat fruit I eat oranges like 2 or 3 a day strawberries not always but when i do i eat 3 a day dates I eat like 10 dates a day and I bananas and apples.
    I read in one article That I shouldn't eat any fruits that have sugar in it. I exercise For a hour a day everyday and sometimes more. Now I really would like to know why we should or shouldn't eat any fruit when deiting?

If you want to have it then eat it. Its not necessary. Protein, fat and vegetables should be the mainstay of our way of eating.

I personally treat fruit as dessert.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Always eat natural fruit. Avoid dried fruit but whole and sliced fruit? Golden every day. Our bodies need it.

We should avoid saying our bodies "NEED" fruit. We don't need fruit.

I like it and I eat it, but I don't need it and neither does anyone else.