Weight differences??

Options
2»

Replies

• liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and it used to be the most frustrating thing ever and the cause of me giving up many times. However it's a habit I can't seem to break but after reading a lot on here about fluctuations I decided to track my weight daily, using the libra app on my phone. No longer do these fluctuations bother me, I can see a pattern and often know when to expect "gains". Even though I'm still weighing daily, I am more or less free of the frustration fluctuations used to give me.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Everyone has said what a bad idea it is...not really sure why, lol

Because weight can fluctuate rather substantially throughout a given day and day to day due to water retention/release, food and beverage consumption (it has mass right?), waste in your system, etc. A lot of people don't understand this and freak out so they are better off weighing in less frequently.

Personally, I advocate weighing in daily or at least 3-5 days per week to better understand those fluctuations and to have more data points for trend analysis...if you only weigh in once per week, it could be that you have more or less waste in your system than last week or your are retaining more or less water, etc and that can either mask fat loss (Oh noes, I didn't lose weight this week...but next week they lose 5 Lbs of scale weight) or it can inflate loss (yay, I lost 5 Lbs this week...and then the next week they see a gain because it wasn't really a 5 Lb fat loss).

Pretty much this. I weight most days then plot it in Excel and pay attention to the trend line. I think there are also apps that do this.

Sept_line_zpsb04eab39.png
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't you weigh daily?

Because weight fluctuates during the week. Ideally, weighing yourself once a week is the best idea. Also, weigh yourself in the morning, naked and after you've used the batheroom.

What if I weigh in and its a high day. If I had weighed daily I could have seen highs and lows, but with once a week I might not see the scale move for weeks simply because of fluctuations/water retention. Wouldn't that be just as frustrating, if not more so, than daily shifts?

For example two Mondays ago I was 140. last Monday I was 140. This Monday I was 141. Damnit, I've gained weight. Except my other weighins last week were 139.2, 138.8, 138, 137.7, and 139. Because I weigh daily I know that Monday is just a high peak on the graph but without those other points I would think I was gaining