Running in the cold

Options
I'm wanting to get into running outside again, since its (slowly) warming up here in the Midwest. My only problem is that when I run outside and its the least bit chilly, I get horrible earaches. I've tried earmuffs, cotton balls in my ears, headphones, and nothing seems to make running when it's chilly outside better for my ears. Does anyone else have this problem, or am I just weird? Any suggestions?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Use a fleece wrap to cover your mouth and nose. The ear aches are caused by excessive cold dry air in the sinuses.

Rigger
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My ears are super sensitive as well. I use a thermo-material skullcap (Asics Thermopolis - wearing it in my profile pic) and have earbuds in. That skullcap is like my binky lol. On heavy wind days, I'll throw a fleece beanie over the skullcap too, or a fleece ear warmer.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Most of my cold weather gear is from cycling but it works well for running also.

I found a pair of Pearl Izumi ear warmers on sale that are fantastic.
    http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=28&product_id=1884720&color_code=021&outlet=0

I will put in my ear buds and put this over my ears and will sometimes throw a hat or a beanie over them.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Good to know this!! I need cold weather running gear and really have no idea where to start!

Great post :)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wear a thermal skull cap. If it's very cold, I'll wear an ear band/warmer over it to make sure every parts of my ears are covered up.

Also, when it's not that cold but a bit windy, earbuds help! :)
  • ditzie2009
    ditzie2009 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My ears always hurt in the cold and I wear a ear/hand band thing and it's fantastic and I've not had cold ears since :-)