Help I have Flappy Arms

Options
Ok - I am a 43 yo female - and my arms keep waving after I stop. I have been doing a bodyweight workout, and I can feel it in my legs, but not so much in my arms. For arm work it uses pushups and barbell rows. I think its my Tricep area that I need to work more. Any suggestions???

I eat at a deficit and am losing weight (got about another 20# to go). I don't expect overnight miracles, but wish I could "feel" the workout in my arms more. Do I need another exercise in there? Do I need to increase weight/reps?

Help!? Thanks!

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Mix these into your routine twice a week with a few days spaced out like so:

Monday:
    Skull crushers - 5 sets of 6-8
    Tricep dumbell kickback - 5 sets of 6-8
    Thursday:
    cable tricep extension - 3 sets of 10-15
    dumbell tricep extension - 3 sets of 10-15

Then the next week flip them around:
    Monday:
    cable tricep extension - 5 sets of 6-8
    dumbell tricep extension - 5 sets of 6-8
    Thursday:
    Skull crushers - 3 sets of 10-15
    Tricep dumbell kickback - 3 sets of 10-15

A real miracle won't happen as that jiggle is fat and you have to remove it but this will add some serious building power in that muscle where you will see both strength and lean mass start to develop.

Set the weight accordingly so that by the time you hit the last set you are really REALLY struggling to finish the reps. This means the weight will be heavier for the 5 sets of 6-8 and a bit lighter (probably around 70% of the 5 sets of 6-8) for your 3 sets of 10-15.

I give a rep range as a goal here for the weight you should be using. For example for the 5 sets of 6-8: If you can do more than 8 reps then you need to up the weight. If you can't get at least 6 reps then you need to lower the weight. Same concept with the 3 sets of 10-15.

Happy lifting.
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options

Monday:
    Thursday:

Monday:
    Thursday:

A real miracle won't happen as that jiggle is fat and you have to remove it but this will add some serious building power in that muscle where you will see both strength and lean mass start to develop.

Set the weight accordingly so that by the time you hit the last set you are really REALLY struggling to finish the reps. This means the weight will be heavier for the 5 sets of 6-8 and a bit lighter (probably around 70% of the 5 sets of 6-8) for your 3 sets of 10-15.

I give a rep range as a goal here for the weight you should be using. For example for the 5 sets of 6-8: If you can do more than 8 reps then you need to up the weight. If you can't get at least 6 reps then you need to lower the weight. Same concept with the 3 sets of 10-15.

Happy lifting.

Thanks for posting! I'll look into this as well. :3
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I will be looking into this. Thank you!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much

I'll have to look a few of those up to make sure I do them correctly - but I appreciate it the information! Off to research so I can start them in next week!

I am determined to not be embarrassed in a tank top this summer! I'm on my way!!!
  • SgtBA_Diana
    SgtBA_Diana Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I can't get to the gym, I do youtube.com & here is one that I tend to do at least once a week. You need a pair of each; 3lb & 5lb weights. Good luck!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pcaD3wInqM
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips are also great & can be done anywhere! You just need a chair or low table :-)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Monday:
    Thursday:

Monday:
    Thursday:

Happy lifting.

I just did skull crushers for the first time on Monday. WOW! I only did them with 15 lbs, but holy crap did I feel it! Also DOMS.
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    Tricep dips are also great & can be done anywhere! You just need a chair or low table :-)

Stay away from tricep dips, they are very misleading with what they actually work. Most of the pushing power in this move is going to be done by your frontal deltoids (shoulders) with very little work done by the triceps. I am a huge proponent of deltoid work because it actually makes your arms and shoulders look even more defined but the problem with this move is that it puts your deltoid in the most dangerous range of motion. Much safer ways to work your deltoids and avoid unnecessary risk of injury.

tldr version:
    Bench dips is a risky move that gives your shoulders a quick trip to pound town and doesn't really work your triceps.
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    Elliot: I'm looking online at your suggestions - and excited to incorporate - Is there a way to do Skull Crushers without a bar - I just have dumbells - and only work out at home - or do you know a way to modify???

I don't have a gym - and do all the workouts at home. So far I have limited equipment - slowly getting more stuff..... but sometimes when you are on a budget you just have to make do!

Thanks
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Elliot: I'm looking online at your suggestions - and excited to incorporate - Is there a way to do Skull Crushers without a bar - I just have dumbells - and only work out at home - or do you know a way to modify???

I don't have a gym - and do all the workouts at home. So far I have limited equipment - slowly getting more stuff..... but sometimes when you are on a budget you just have to make do!

Thanks

Look on Youtube for "dumbbell skull crushers." I have done them and they are a beast. Well, they are when you have little wimpy triceps like mine... :)
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    ok - I found one (skull crusher) - finally - Do you have a recommended starting weight for doing these???
  • ElliottTN
    Options

Thanks

Absolutely, I actually prefer them with dumbells myself. Your wrist position will change slightly to accommodate dumbells. Instead of palms facing out like you are gripping a bar, you will keep them straight so that your thumb and index finger are traveling down towards your head. Think of how you grip a cup of water. You will just need to be extra careful doing this because it is much easier to take a dumbell to the face doing it this way. You will also need to be very mindful to keep your elbows tucked in and not flair out to the side. Think of it this way. Get your dumbells and lay down with them. Raise the dumbells straight up so your arms are perfectly straight below them. The try to just bend your elbows so your forearms travel down and the dumbells go to either side of your head about eye level. Then raise them back to starting position. Focus on keeping your elbows perfectly inline.

Definitely check out some youtube videos to see it in practice and also the first time you do it, do a couple with barely any weight just to make sure you know how your arms need to travel (to not knock yourself out.)

As with any move, be aware of how you would need to drop the weight immediately if you get in trouble and fail. You would need to push the dumbells outward before you drop the dumbells if you got in a bad spot and had to bail on the lift.
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    ok - I found one (skull crusher) - finally - Do you have a recommended starting weight for doing these???

As always with any lift, the first week doing these needs to be an exploration week to see what you can do. No one can ever safely give you a max starting point. You need to get in there and start light for just a few reps and add or subtract to really dial it in. Everyone is different but I found what works for me is to find a weight that I can finish 8 reps for initially with some struggle. That is usually a good weight for me to start a lift where I am going 5 sets of 6-8. From that point I can usually dial up or down around 5 lbs to find where I need to be. The first week you do this will most likely be a wash of just finding your working weight for these. Don't freight, it is to be expected.

One thing I have noticed about arm fun is (and not sure if you are a parent or not) but usually women with children are a crap ton stronger than they realize just from progressively picking up loads (children that grow) so depending on if you have kids or not, you may surprise yourself.
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    I have kids - my eight year old is a monkey and likes to still be picked up sometimes - fortunately for 8 he is a little guy - but still about 50# (people think his is younger than he is!)

I'll keep that in mind as I start out. I may have to pick up a couple heavier dumbells.
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    wow - I did these this morning with 5# dumbells and could really feel it - thanks