WHY did you lose weight?

Options
marishka04
marishka04 Posts: 28 Member
Hi everyone... i didn't know where to post this but it seemed appropriate to post it here because i want to hear from people who have successfully lost weight or have successfully embarked on a weight loss journey. You see i'm having a very hard time trying to find a good enough "why" to do this. I'm 90 pounds overweight, isolated, depressed, have no will to get out of the house, to look for a job, etc... so you would think YES, ALL THESE ARE VALID reasons, but do you want to know what the funny thing is? the reasons that motivate me are external... like "do it if there was a wedding, or you'll be seeing old friends/family so that you can impress them," etc... and i don't have an "event" either. It's so sad to know that i am not motivated to save myself but i'm motivated to do something for an "event." (again...no event, no reunion, nothing) So i'm stuck having to face the reason to do something for myself, which i HAVE NEVER done before. it's hard.

sorry for the negative rant... but i want to know... all you amazing people, that have posted before and afters or are on the journey... how did you start? WHY did you start/do it? How did you start doing things for yourself? I would really appreciate hearing from you guys. YOU truly inspire me.

Replies

• stellag1969
    stellag1969 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You don't need an "event" to do it. You should do it for YOU. You will come out of your funk and LOVE IT. I have lost 50 pounds through diet and exercise and love every minute of it. When I first started with my trainer and the classes I threw up every class and could only do 4 knee push ups in 1 minute. Now 9 months later, I can do 30 toe push ups in a minute, I no longer throw up and I have lost 19 person body fat.

You do for YOU, no one else.

Good luck
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight for me. Period.

It took me too long to actually decide to do something about being 50 plus pounds too heavy, but now I am and couldn't be happier with the way things are going.

I've been in your position and it's because i wasn't ready to commit to the life changing journey of finding the new me!

Only you can decide why you want to lose weight and obviously having an upcoming event hasn't worked out that great for you, or you wouldn't still be overweight.

This little (huge) community of ours here at MFP we like to push and motivate others, almost anyone on here will be your MFP friend and do their best to motivate you so long as you motivate back.

Good luck and I hope you find your motivation!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I lost weight because I was getting chunky and I, personally, am not as cute when I'm chunky. And being cute is very important to me.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Because I got tired of my boobs touching my stomach.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Because at 44 (then) and a lifetime of wt loss for events etc I watched my 75yo Mum beating herself up over her wt. I decided that I was NOT going to be that person doing the same in another 30yrs.

I sorted my head out first using a mindfulness book and got off my *kitten* and did something about it and have been maintaining for over a year now.

My biggest regret is not doing it sooner and wasting years doin g the feast/famine thing but never REALLY changing my ways.

DO IT!

If someone offered you a life of and I quote "overweight, isolated, depressed, have no will to get out of the house, to look for a job, etc" would you say oooo yes please?! Well you did......you chose that.

People who succeed don't have anything you don't have, we just learned to use it - go for it :o)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    pure vanity. i wanted to look better. i wanted to be able to have much more options in clothing. i wanted to be able to dress in the style that i wanted to. not be forced to wear the only thing i can find in my size. i still have a ways to go but let me tell you, shopping is so much fun now. i want to be sexy and fine. LOL.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Because I'm too young to feel this old.

I always start backwards; I began running again, but didn't really get my diet in check. After 9 weeks of running myself in circles and not really dropping any significant weight, I got my diet in order, cut back on the cardio, and started lifting weights. It took a long time and it was a lot of trial and error, but a year later 22 pounds are no longer with me and I feel so much better. Could I have done it faster? I'm sure I could have, but I like to eat.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote yesterday that really got me thinking, I don't remember the exact phrasing but it was similar to this: you are the only motivation that you need. Once you get your mind to wrap around that, you will see that no amount of motivation from others will help you keep focused on your goals. I always look at other people's success stories, and yes, it does motivate me that I NEED to lose the weight, but it doesn't motivate me to ACT on that need. I always am amazed at weight loss success stories and it usually gets me pumped up about doing the same for a few days, then I lose that motivation and go back to my old habits. Losing weight is not as hard as it may seem, it is actually pretty logical, but the motivation is what is hard! Counting calories, working out, it all is do-able, but motivating yourself to do those things is the hard part! I am currently on a no added sugar challenge, and the first few days were hard and I felt like giving up like I usually do. But something inside me kept telling me not to give up like the other times, but to try to get past that struggle. I am now on day 15 and I wouldn't say it is easy but it is getting better everyday. We need to be our own cheerleaders and encourage ourselves to keep going. So far I have lost about 5 pounds, and I couldn't be more happier with the results.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Because I'm too young to feel this old.

I always start backwards; I began running again, but didn't really get my diet in check. After 9 weeks of running myself in circles and not really dropping any significant weight, I got my diet in order, cut back on the cardio, and started lifting weights. It took a long time and it was a lot of trial and error, but a year later 22 pounds are no longer with me and I feel so much better. Could I have done it faster? I'm sure I could have, but I like to eat.

^^^^^So much truth. There are few things in life better than eating. And personally one of those few things is off of my table (bed?) until summer. So. Food is basically top slot.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I started working out to GAIN weight, but for a lot of the same reasons people who are overweight want to lose. My girlfriend dumped me in my late 20's, and I wanted to get women. So I lifted weights and ate a lot more.

But I learned something interesting at the same time: Fitness cured the serious depression I'd had my entire life. At long as I work out, I feel great. Even today (15 years later), taking 2 weeks off from lifting or running brings back the depression. Like you, I don't want to leave the house and have no motivation.

My advice is to stop thinking about all this as just "losing weight." Do it to be fit and healthy. It's not a "diet"; it's a lifestyle change. One that will improve everything in your life.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Many reasons.

1. I have my mothers body shape and she is 72 and overweight. Her hip hurts her, her knees hurt her and she is unhappy with her weight but struggling to do anything about it.
    2. My doc said I was pre-diabetic.
    3. I stripped my way through college. I have all this sexy clothing to remind me what i used to be able to wear 80 pounds ago. I also have a lot of expensive clothing I can't wear that hangs in my closet to remind me of my old size.
    4. I got gall stones which required I go on a strict low fat diet to avoid being in the worst pain of my life.
    5. I have a bad back and the bigger I get, the more pain I am in.

The reasons just go on and on. Above all, I want to live a long and healthy life. Processed food and high fat diet is not the way to do that.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    ... and i don't have an "event" either. It's so sad to know that i am not motivated to save myself but i'm motivated to do something for an "event." (again...no event, no reunion, nothing) So i'm stuck having to face the reason to do something for myself, which i HAVE NEVER done before. it's hard.

I think that if you have to have an event to be motivated then you aren't ready for the commitment it takes to be successful.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    8fd8baa4256a2a00ece90dcad20c7abe.jpg

:wink:
    also because I want to be healthier and feel good about how I look
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Why? Because my quality of life was crap. In 2012, I had 15 friends and colleagues pass away and I honestly felt like people were saying "you're next," and they may as well have because I was on the path to an early grave. So, like Barney Stinson I decided to stop being Sad and be Awesome instead. At over 350 lbs it was time to get busy living or get busy dying.

We both have an event. It's called "LIFE." It gets better when you're not dragging yourself down. I am able to do so many cool things now that I couldn't do before. I rappelled down an office building! I'm training for triathlons and planning / following through on all kinds of adventures that I only dreamed about before. I'm having FUN! I used to need a break to walk the block and a half from my office to the courthouse, now people have trouble keeping up with me!

I started small, making minor changes like making better choices, leaving a bit of food on the plate, and eating & drinking less junk. I started logging my food, and eventually decided I could do without meat. When I first started, EVERYTHING hurt, all the time. I have severe arthritis and was super morbidly obese so I swam. At least in the water my weight was off my joints and I felt graceful. I started swimming more often, farther distances, longer times, etc. I started walking a bit more, taking the stairs from time to time, etc. All of the changes added up. I rewarded myself with things that help me push for my next goals--at 100 lbs I got a shiny new bike. At 150 lbs I bought a bunch of tri gear. I'm not done by a long shot.

Do it for yourself. You're 100% worth it. You'll have good days and bad days, I think we all do. Celebrate your victories for you. Sometimes I have days where getting out of bed is a victory. It's life and it's yours to enjoy. Just don't give up.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The weight is finally catching up to me and at 35 it's not going to get any easier to lose.
  • pluto2626
    pluto2626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I am honest, there are two reasons why. First being I didn't want my children to be embarrassed to have 'a chunky mom' and secondly skinny jeans! Not the best reasons to start, but it was enough for me to start which has inspired me to stop complaining and start doing.

Wish you the best of luck!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ultimately I am losing weight so that I can finally look at myself in the mirror and not hate what I see. But I know what you mean about having an event. My mini goals are all base around events. I wanted to lose 20 pounds so I could wear a bikini for the first time in my life. The next event I'm working for is my anniversary dinner.

You have to find something to keep you motivated. Maybe your knees are sore and losing weight will help that. Maybe you have an outfit in your closet you want to be able to wear again. Or a new outfit you want to be able to wear for the first time. Maybe you just don't want to feel the way you feel anymore. Maybe you don't want to be in a hospital dying with your friends and family around you. Sometimes people can be motivated by complete strangers on the internet who have similar problems. There's all kinds of things to motivate people. You just have to find what motivates you the most and stick with it. Good luck!
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For me, it's more about fitness than weight loss, but it's kind of a package deal. Weight loss is a great quantifiable measurement along the way.

I want to come to work on Monday morning and talk about the mountain I climbed, the fresh powder I skied through or the football game I played with friends.

I don't want to talk about how drunk I was, the movies I watched or who got kicked off the Bachelor.

I want to keep up with my husband when we go on a hike or bike ride. I want to enjoy the journey rather than huffing, puffing, swearing and sweating the whole way.

I want to enjoy life and nature and in the process, know that I'm happier and healthier and will likely live longer.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Because at some point you have to say enough is enough and bring your old self back up .
    There is ALWAYS room for improvements
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Main reason was vanity. But ultimately I had/still suffer with an unhealthy relationship towards food and my body. Working out and seeing the changes in my body inspires me to the max. Sure I have my wedding coming up and want to to look incredible for it. But I started for me. I wanted to learn to be healthier and to have a good relationship with myself and food.
    Fitnesspal is a great place for support and motivation. Keep using it and get a solid friends list.
    Also if you need to aim towards something than set goals and tell others about it so you have more of a reason to hold your self accountable.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!