Should I up my calorie intake? Grrrr

Options
I just upped my calories from 1200 to 1350- has anyone done this before? I have myself marked as "sedentary" because I work a desk job. I workout 5 to 6 times a week (30-60 minutes at a time). Most days I feel really hungry, and have been stressing about going over my calories. Also, the scale has not been moving. I've been losing inches (yay!). I've read that sometimes we're not getting enough calories...I don't know though! Anyone had any experience changing their calorie intake around???

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You'll get better answers if you open up your diary. But, yeah, unless you're really small or extremely inactive 1200 tends to be too low.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My SW was 174, my CW is 162. I have my calories set to 1370 (been there since December 30th). I have the same workout schedule and timing as you do (roughly) and I had a period where my scale wasn't changing, but my body was. Now I'm on month three and each day I'm recording a lower weight. If you're seeing inches come off, you're doing good. It's not always about the scale.
  • ripzone13
    ripzone13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You'll get better answers if you open up your diary. But, yeah, unless you're really small or extremely inactive 1200 tends to be too low.
    Just opened it up to the public. Note* I'm terrible about recording my veggie intake- since they are low low low calorie I ususally don't record them, but I do eat them daily.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I've upped my calories quite a few times. I tend to play around with numbers until I find something that works. Just be aware that when you up your calories there can be an initial small gain. Don't get discouraged by this because it's your body re-balancing itself and it will go away within 1 week or 2. For instance, I just upped my calories 2 weeks ago and I gained 2 pounds but now I've lost 2.3 pounds and am back to losing weight again.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, then you are likely not getting enough calories with that many workouts per week and that few of calories. How many pounds are you trying to lose and what did you set as your weight loss goals? 2 pounds per week or 1?
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    Just opened it up to the public. Note* I'm terrible about recording my veggie intake- since they are low low low calorie I ususally don't record them, but I do eat them daily.

You should still try to record all items you eat and drink because every calorie adds up.
  • ripzone13
    Options
    I've upped my calories quite a few times. I tend to play around with numbers until I find something that works. Just be aware that when you up your calories there can be an initial small gain. Don't get discouraged by this because it's your body re-balancing itself and it will go away within 1 week or 2. For instance, I just upped my calories 2 weeks ago and I gained 2 pounds but now I've lost 2.3 pounds and am back to losing weight again.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, then you are likely not getting enough calories with that many workouts per week and that few of calories. How many pounds are you trying to lose and what did you set as your weight loss goals? 2 pounds per week or 1?

Somedays I eat them back, some I don't. I'd like to- cause I'm usually starving at night. I had set my goal to lose 2lbs a week, but just changed it to 1.5/week (hence the calorie increase). I am currently 225 and would like to get to 145.
    Thanks for your advice on here, I appriciate it! =) And you're right I should log my veggies-I'll start doing that more consistently.
  • hill8570
    Options
    OK, I had to make a few assumptions, but I figure your TDEE before exercise is around 2150 calories. If you average about 300 calories a day in exercise (that accounts for the days off) and don't eat back the calories, 1350 intake will give you about 2.2 pounds a week weight loss. That seems awfully aggressive still. I'd bump up to closer to 1450 intake (but log *everything*), which is still 2 pounds a week.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE - 20%.
  • dawlschic007
    Options

I agree with going this route. It may be easier for you, so you can have a consistent calorie count. Make sure you're honest with setting your activity level though and if you have weeks that you don't workout as much, then adjust as needed so that you're not over eating or under eating.

This method includes your exercise activities, so you wouldn't eat back your workout calories. Try some of these calculators to get your TDEE amounts: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ or http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

I like the fat2fit site since you are calculating your goal weight maintenance calories and eat that to lose weight. It makes it so there is no transition from weight loss to maintenance since you already know how to eat for the body you want. :) For your macros, try changing them to 40% carbs/30% fat/30% protein.
  • ripzone13
    Options
    OK, I had to make a few assumptions, but I figure your TDEE before exercise is around 2150 calories. If you average about 300 calories a day in exercise (that accounts for the days off) and don't eat back the calories, 1350 intake will give you about 2.2 pounds a week weight loss. That seems awfully aggressive still. I'd bump up to closer to 1450 intake (but log *everything*), which is still 2 pounds a week.
    I'm going to check it out.
  • ripzone13
    Options

I agree with going this route. It may be easier for you, so you can have a consistent calorie count. Make sure you're honest with setting your activity level though and if you have weeks that you don't workout as much, then adjust as needed so that you're not over eating or under eating.

This method includes your exercise activities, so you wouldn't eat back your workout calories. Try some of these calculators to get your TDEE amounts: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ or http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

I like the fat2fit site since you are calculating your goal weight maintenance calories and eat that to lose weight. It makes it so there is no transition from weight loss to maintenance since you already know how to eat for the body you want. :) For your macros, try changing them to 40% carbs/30% fat/30% protein.
    YIKES- ok I just tried a bunch of different calculators including fat2fit and it looks like I should be eating between 1700 (sedintary) to 2200 (moderately active excercising 3-5x week).
    That seems like A TON. I'm nervous. Do you think you could check my calculations?
    Here are my stats:
    33 yrs old
    5'3
    workout typically 5 times a week (30-60 minutes)
    female (in case it wasn't obvious!)
    Thanks so much in advance!
  • ripzone13
    Options
    What do you think? I posted my stats above. Both of you seem like you know what you're talking about, I'd like to hear what you think as well. Thank you!!
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    1200 is aggressive and for some, that's not enough food to keep them satisfied. I would suggest adding on 100 calories, waiting a week and see if your are experiencing hunger pangs or or nasty binges. If 1300 works for you, leave it at that. If not repeat the steps.

It personally took me 2-3 weeks to find my "sweet spot".

Only your body can answer that question, no one else or no website can.
  • dawlschic007
    Options

YIKES- ok I just tried a bunch of different calculators including fat2fit and it looks like I should be eating between 1700 (sedintary) to 2200 (moderately active excercising 3-5x week).
    That seems like A TON. I'm nervous. Do you think you could check my calculations?
    Here are my stats:
    33 yrs old
    5'3

I think those totals are spot on. Remember, this includes your activity levels so you would only eat the 1700 -2200 total. I'm 5'2 and 31 years old and 125 lbs and I am currently eating 1600 calories right now for rest days and around 1800 for workout days and still losing weight. If I workout really hard, I'll add a few more calories but I tend to eat those on my rest days because I'm hungrier on those days than I am on days I work out.

Now, I would suggest upping your calorie intake slowly to this, don't do it all at once. So if you are currently eating 1350 calories, then next week up to 1450 calories, then 1550 the following week and so on until you reach the 1700 to 2200 calories. I would probably aim to eat 1700 on rest days and then probably 2200 on your really active days. Since you only have two days that are not active, it may be easier to just set your calories here for 2200 and just know to only eat 1700 on days you don't work out.

ETA - Just wanted to point out that this version is essentially the same as MFP's version of NETTING 1350 to 1400 calories if it makes you feel better. Say you eat 1350 calories and burn 500 calories and eat back your exercise calories, then you would still be grossing 1850 calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Here are my stats:
    33 yrs old
    5'3

Here is another calculator and it gives BMR 1769, TDEE 2743 (3-5 hours/week moderate exercise) with 20% deficit 2194
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If you were to eat 1800 calories, that should result in losing 2 pounds per week. Mentally 1800 will probably be easier for you than trying to get to 2000 or above. Try that for 6 weeks or so and see how you are doing. You can always tweak it later if necessary. If you have been eating 1200 for awhile, I would gradually ramp up to 1800 by adding 100 calories a week until you are at 1800 then eat that level for 6 weeks.
  • hill8570
    Options
    What do you think? I posted my stats above. Both of you seem like you know what you're talking about, I'd like to hear what you think as well. Thank you!!

OK, my assumptions were close enough to reality that the numbers really don't change. I still think 1450 or 1500 intake (not net intake, but total intake) gives you a good short-term target. I'd recommend not eating back the exercise calories (or at most 25% back), on the assumption that you're underestimating your calorie intake by at least 10% a day (which, if you're not weighing everything, is a pretty conservative number). If you're still really tired or grumpy at 1500, then maybe bump it up a bit -- you could go as high as 2000 and still be losing in the neighborhood of a pound a week average.
  • dawlschic007
    Options

OK, my assumptions were close enough to reality that the numbers really don't change. I still think 1450 or 1500 intake (not net intake, but total intake) gives you a good short-term target. I'd recommend not eating back the exercise calories (or at most 25% back), on the assumption that you're underestimating your calorie intake by at least 10% a day (which, if you're not weighing everything, is a pretty conservative number). If you're still really tired or grumpy at 1500, then maybe bump it up a bit -- you could go as high as 2000 and still be losing in the neighborhood of a pound a week average.

If her BMR is 1769, then she really should not be eating under that. Even 1500 GROSS calories is way too low for her. She should at least be eating above her BMR.
  • ripzone13
    Options
    I'm going to give it a shot! I just upped my calories from 1200 to 1350 today, next week I'll go to 1450, etc. Should I just not eat my workout calories back so I get in the habit for when my calorie intake is up to 1700+? I'm thinking this will be easier to wrap my brain around. I REALLY appreciate your help on all this. I hope this is the right thing for my body. I like the idea of fueling my body, and feeling satisfied- rather than feeling depleted, hungry, and having low energy. I feel like I have good muscle composition and feel strong, i also feel like I have built up good endurance. I just want my outside body to catch up with my inside body... and shape up.
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    I would eat your exercise calories back, or at least half of them back for now until you've transitioned all the way to 1700 -2200 calories. I've always eaten them back when I use MFP's method because I'm starving if I don't. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you like! I can also give you suggestions for healthy foods.

You have the right mindset of trying to fuel your body properly and you really shouldn't feel like you are hungry every day.
  • ripzone13
    Options
    I would eat your exercise calories back, or at least half of them back for now until you've transitioned all the way to 1700 -2200 calories. I've always eaten them back when I use MFP's method because I'm starving if I don't. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you like! I can also give you suggestions for healthy foods.

You have the right mindset of trying to fuel your body properly and you really shouldn't feel like you are hungry every day.
    Awesome, thank you so much. I changed my macros to 40/30/30 like you suggested. How do I monitor this? I'm adding you!