5lb weight gain in 2 weeks, still there 5 weeks later?

Options
I've been trying to reassure myself that this is water weight, it's a result of lady-time, etc, but after 5 weeks I'm really starting to wonder what's up.

On Jan 31st, I weighed 140. That's a pretty constant weight for me, has been for about 10 months.

I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program in February, lifting three times a week. I do circuit training for about 20 minutes twice a week. I had read that weightlifting can make you start retaining water to repair muscles, etc. Have been making sure to get 2L of water every day.

I haven't been eating anything unusual, have been sticking to my normal eating schedule, which is usually about 1700-1800 calories a day, with a 200-300 calorie snack after the weightlifting on those days.

I weighed myself Feb 14 (Happy Valentine's Day) and found that I was 145lbs. I know I didn't gain 5lbs of muscle in two weeks. I told myself it was probably water weight, as it was around my lady time and I tend to retain water then anyway. Weighed myself again on Feb 28, still 145.

Weighed myself today, and STILL 145lbs. My measurements are mostly the same (1/2 inch larger on each thigh, 1/2 inch smaller on the waist), but I can notice more definition, so I know something great is happening with the weightlifting.

I would love to hear from other ladies who did Stronglifts-- did this happen to you? Did the weight eventually go down? I'm not doing Stronglifts to lose weight, but I'm not really hoping to GAIN weight, either!

Help!

Replies

• SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Anyone? As big a mystery to MFP as it is to me? :P
  • michael_j_w
    Options
    Don't know if I can be much help, but I had a similar experience. I started p90x3 on Jan 22, i am male 5'7 and weighed 150 lbs. at the time. 2 weeks into the program i gained 3-5 lbs. I have maintained my usual caloric intake as well but my weight has not changed, i have not gained or lost weight after the initial 3-5 lb gain. It has been about 5 weeks. I have lost inches and am more toned and feel stronger so not complaining. I just find it odd my weight has not fluctuated... I have been told it can take 2 months+ to see significant changes, and will keep you updated! :)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Check this story out -- shows you why the scale can be so deceiving. She is the same size at 117 lbs, 131 and 142 lbs. Muscle is by far more dense and when you start lifting, you do get initial big gains (i.e. newbie gains). I doubt all 5 lbs is muscle as that would be a significant gain, but I bet some of it is muscle gain and water retention (from having to constantly repair your muscles after lifting).

But, if you don't have much fat to lose and are eating to gain, you may see gain in your weight, even though you're the same size or slightly smaller.

Strong lifts is great, though personally I prefer 3x5 (Starting Strength) myself. SL seems to be a rip off of SS and without much reason for the increased volume. You'll get bigger gains and lift higher weight with 3x5 rather than 5x5 in SL.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, lindsey1979, that post did make me feel better. It was pretty inspiring to see her transformation. I keep trying to remind myself that the scale is only a very small part of the big picture, but it's hard not to get panicky when it goes up.

I guess I'll just keep at 'er and hope for the best!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, and I love to quantify things, so the scale is such a no-brainer. But, I'm not very patient and true gains on the scale and tape measure need to be looked at over time (weeks/months), not on a daily basis or you'll go insane.

What gives me that little fix on quantifying progress is keeping track of my stats -- both for increases in lifting, activities done, miles walked and calories deficit each day. In addition to the computer records from my dairy and whatnot, I also put it all up on a little whiteboard calendar I bought off amazon for 15 bucks or so. So I can look at what I've been doing in one little snapshot for the past month or so.

It's totally an unnecessary thing, but I love being able to mark down each day, my calorie deficit and increases in lifts on lifting days or miles walked on non-lifting days or whether I lifted, did yoga or a sprint session on any given day and how my calories worked out in that equation. That gives me a few other things to quantify and track and feel good about accomplishing, whether the numbers on the scale reflect that work or not yet. Same goes for measurements (though I only do those every 2 weeks or so).

It's sort of like little gold stars on a kid's progress chart, but I don't care -- I like it and it works for me and gives me another source of motivation.

Sprinting -- I just want to add this here too. If you haven't incorporated a weekly or semi-weekly sprint session into your workout regime, do it NOW. It has been by far the thing that has helped me the most drop weight/fat -- and it can be done in as little as 20-30 mins (or less). I wish I'd known about it before. But there are some great articles out there about it -- this is rather long, but gives a good explanation on why sprinting is so great: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm